WDW | The American Idol Experience

Started by Anthony, February 11, 2008, 02:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Yep, you'd better believe it. Despite the fact that Disney's Hollywood Studios is a Disney theme park and Americal Idol is a way to tear dreams of innocent people to shreds on the FOX TV network that has nothing to do with Disney..... DHS is due to receive 'American Idol' - the attraction!

Wow. Is someone over there starting to panic about Universal getting Harry Potter?

QuoteLAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Feb. 7, 2008) -- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will create an "American Idol" attraction that will bring the television and pop culture phenomenon to life at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, it was jointly announced today by Jay Rasulo, chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts; Simon Fuller, CEO of 19 Entertainment; and Keith Hindle, executive vice president of FremantleMedia Licensing.

The attraction, slated to debut in late 2008, will be located at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park and will follow the model of the high-energy show. Disney guests will be able to experience the challenge of auditioning, the rush of performing on stage in competition, or the thrill of judging the performances in a live interactive entertainment setting with all the glitz and glamour of the distinctive "American Idol" set.

That experience will include an audition process, open to all who register, where guests perform "live" in front of a Disney's Hollywood Studios producer to be cast in a theme park show. After backstage preparation -- working with a vocal coach, hair and make-up -- it's lights up and showtime in front of a "live" audience and a panel of judges.

Guest performers with the highest votes will compete in an end-of-day Grand Finale show at Walt Disney World, and the winner of the Grand Finale show will receive a guaranteed reservation for a future regional stadium audition -- to ensure no waiting in long lines. But when it comes down to the television show auditions, everyone is treated equal.

"Millions of people have imagined themselves standing on the 'American Idol' stage," said Rasulo. "We're excited that we will be bringing this dream to life every day at Walt Disney World."

Added Fuller, "One of the most remarkable elements about 'American Idol' is that for a brief moment each week, we can provide TV viewers the opportunity to imagine life as America's next superstar. Disney's new attraction perfectly captures what we at 'American Idol' feel is the heart and soul of this brand, real people getting a shot to make their dream a reality."

"This partnership," noted Hindle, "brings the number one show on television, watched in over 100 countries, to the number one theme park destination in the world. It's a perfect combination and opportunity to offer everyone a taste of the 'American Idol' experience."

The coming "American Idol" attraction will reflect the best and brightest of the TV show, giving starry-eyed park guests a chance to become a star on the attraction's stage. It joins an all-star lineup at Disney's Hollywood Studios, a celebration of today's Hollywood in movies, television, music and theater. Among the new adventures debuting in 2008 is the just-opened "Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!" plus coming attractions "Block Party Bash," an interactive and moving Disney-Pixar spectacle filling the theme park streets; and Toy Story Mania! immersing guests in a 3-D interactive ride-through video game starring popular Disney-Pixar "Toy Story" characters.
Source: http://www.wdwmagic.com/americanidol.htm

Obviously WDW fans are now wondering how much longer American Idol can last (it's on season 7 apparently), and how something like this might actually work. (Who wants to be told they can't sing at a theme park? Who wants to spend their holiday time watching that?)

Discuss!

kermit

Just imagine that Simon Fuller is there on opening day. 3000 people taking part in the auditions and every single one of them singing "It´s a small world". Well, meet Fuller in rehab afterwards. :mrgreen:

Personally I think AI will be there for maybe two or three years. Then, they will take down the AI logo and continue with a Disney theme.

Simple and cheap.
"Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!"

Anthony

Quote from: "kermit"Personally I think AI will be there for maybe two or three years. Then, they will take down the AI logo and continue with a Disney theme.
Yeah, true.

I know they're obviously aiming to hit Universal with this, but I can't help thinking a Hannah Montana - or even some kind of HSM Audition - theme would fit so much better.

I thought this news would have got more response here...!

Dlrpfan

hmmmm, Bring back Who wants to be a millionare play it!!!!
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Kristof

WDW has just opened a brand new website to promote the attraction:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/sp ... wsUpdtToDW

Captain Pan

Lovely Idea... The Disney only theme for the songs can completely go out the window as if Simon Fuller has given the American Idol license to be used, You can expect to have any disney track to be used, and any song that has appeared in the finals or released by an Idol winner to be used. Funnily enough American Idol Winners Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood appeared on the Soundtrack for their versions of Breakaway (The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement) and Ever Ever After (Enchanted)

Shame that website has totally ruined the American Idol final in Britain... as we've only now had the final aired got to wait until tomorrow for the results!!

Question is that Actually David Cook Singing the Louis Armstrong Classic?

britje

I really don't see why there should be such an attraction... In my opinion it has nothing to do with Disney magic and I would certainly skip such an attraction. Disney should stay true to itself and not panic about Universal at all. After all, even with all the fun attractions, Universal just doesn't have the magic atmosphere. It is just another themepark as we have so many in this world.

Disney should stay true to themselves at all times! That's what makes them different from being just another themepark.
"We are not trying to entertain the critics. I\'ll take my chances with the public" - Walt Disney

Owain

Anthony

Tacky logo, and I still don't quite understand the concept. Would you really wait in line to see some wannabes who think they can sing rip your ears to shreds? The show room, stage, etc. itself is going to have to be pretty special (ie. just like the real thing, if not better) to make this "experience" worthwhile for the 99.9% of people who don't get up and sing.

I'm glad WDS long ago gave up trying to be a real studio and just went for fun, involving experiences. This just has "Universal" written all over it, so much so that when it opens, I'm sure they'll have people asking over there where it can be found...

Rant over. :wink:

britincgn

Also how long is the interest going to last for American Idol.Its getting too old and as an attraction I think it will be something you will want to see once and never again unless you have someone competing in the show

Dlrpfan

I think the stage looks really ugly and boaring to, together with the logo and the HUGE amount of silver pictured I think this could be the ugliest attraction disney has ever made!
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Kristof

Jim Hill has an entire run through of the attraction!

You can read it here:
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... ience.aspx

Captain Pan

Ok... pre approved Disney Script (Can anyone say Pop Idol/American Idol the game) where people are going to here the same lines after the first week! I see the reasoning for it as Disney don't want to destroy the guests like Simon loves to do in All of his talent show commitments, (Idol, X Factor, Got Talent).

The Premise to me now sounds like a Karaoke competition at Butlins! But hey the Idol franchises has fed Disney with Artists for Soundtracks (US winners Clarkson, Underwood, UK Winner and Runner Up Will Young and Gareth Gates). We'll have to wait and see guest ratings in January!... Nice how 365 people are going to get a problem free form less audition with American Idol... just wait to see the implications ride in when someone non-american enters the competition and shows the Yanks how to Sing they going to pay for the winner to get return flights to audition!

Ryan Seacrest (Or what ever his name is) Hosting??

howtodeal

I knew that Disney and American Idol were planning for something together , Carrie Underwood had a song in
Enchanted's soundtrack, Eliott Yamin has a song in the Disney Mania Album,  
Katharine McPhee was in Disney's christmas celebration this year, and during this season
of American Idol lots of Disney channel stars made a few apperances on the show.
I don't think i like the idea that much, doesn't sound like something i would enjoy :roll:

AmericanMouse

Quote from: "Captain Pan""Ryan Seacrest (or what ever his name is) hosting?"

There will be an in-house host from what I am hearing. Also, Seacrest may replace Regis as host (with Kelly Ripa) on the Christmas Parade on ABC this year from what I understand just to hype this attraction.