[EDV] 50 Glorious Years: Phantom Manor vs. Haunted Mansion!

Started by Patrick, June 20, 2005, 11:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

Today we see 4 attractions around the world based on the same concept, however not all the same style of building façade they are located in.  Welcome Foolish Mortals to the Haunted Mansion, or as it is called in our favourite Magic Kingdom "Phantom Manor", since 1969 a haunting so big only a Manor can hold has been enticing guests to explore the deeper, darker reaches of the crypt of Disney's Theme Parks.  Since the attraction in Disneyland is now 36 years old, the Disney Imagineers believed the attraction needed to be changed when they created Euro Disney.  The Mansion itself was in many people's minds too much like a stately home and less of a ghoulish haunted house.

(Photo from grimghosts.com)

This was the first thing to happen, so instead of the wonderful Stately home image you would find at Disneyland and of course in the movie "Haunted Mansion", we see a Bate's Manor type façade for the building.  Of course not too much has been altered in the way of themeing around the attraction, barring that Disneyland Resort Paris chose to opt out of the New Orleans Square and insert it into the direct world of the West in Frontierland.  Overall this works out well and the storyline interacts with you much better this way thanks to the tale of the Mine Train "Big Thunder Mountain", which interlinks with the Manor itself.

Most things in Disneyland's and Disneyland Paris's Mansions are exactly the same interior, such as the Stretch Room which takes you into the basement of the Victorian Manor.

The Séance circle also depicts that of Disneyland's in Disneyland Paris's version.  However of course she speaks multiple tongue now in France :wink:

Not forgetting of course the Grin Grinning Ghosts song performed by none other than the singing Busts.

Though Disneyland's obsession with Historic details does give it the upper hand, thanks to there being a Horse Drawn hearse on the grounds of the Mansion, which if myth is to be believed then it was the hearse that took American Pioneer Brigham Young to his final resting place.

(Photo from grimghosts.com)

Referring back to the history of Disneyland's version, The Haunted Mansion was actually in the plans for Disneyland since as early as 1951, with the façade being Constructed in 1963 when New Orleans Square opened, but lay dormant awaiting its lively un dead opening in 1969, sadly Walt did not make it to see his final creation of the Mansion, he passed away in December 1966, and would not only never see his beloved attraction, sadly never see how far his legacy really did stretch all around the world.

Come along and join in the ghoulish fun will you be the 1000 ghoul in the mansion?  HURRY BACK!

Kristof

Yay! A new EDV!  Good job Patmagic!  :D

Disneyana

Yes a great revision, thank you. Just to choose from the exterior look and the location I think DLP wins.  :wink:
Oh Boy ! \":mickey2:\"

Kristof

I was just looking at the exterior picture of Phantom Manor... Look how freaky those trees look like on the back.   :shock:

Disneyana

Yes they really look freaky, but I always have the feeling that it's always a bit darker and a bit scarier around PM then anywhere else in DLP. That's freaky too.  :wink:  :shock:
Oh Boy ! \":mickey2:\"

Jorien

Great review!!!! =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
Phantom Manor looks much scarier in my opinion!

Anthony

Thanks for the review!  I think Phantom Manor will always be my second favourite attraction (POTC is first) for as long as I live!  It's just brilliant, but as you all know how amazing it is, I'll stop right there.  :wink:

Sweet Laker

PM 4 life :P My nr 1 attraction together with POTC.

Thnx for this review.

Jorien

Quote from: "Baloo"Thanks for the review!  I think Phantom Manor will always be my second favourite attraction (POTC is first) for as long as I live!  It's just brilliant, but as you all know how amazing it is, I'll stop right there.  :wink:

You're soooo right!!!!!!!  :wink:

Dlrpfan

Just read this post and thought it was amazing!!! Paddy should publish his own book all about Disnney!!!
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

Kristof

Edit: photo fix  8)

Masamune

:) I think both buildings are incredibly beautiful on the outside... :P but as some of you may know, this ride is one of my least favourites...it's not that it's a bad ride, it's the fact that (a) there's such hype around it and (b) the ques for it can often be ridiculously long... :o I just don't think it's worth waiting more than 10 minutes in a que for...

XP Sadly I don't remember if I went on the one in California, so I really can't fairly say which one is better... ;) though, judging from the pictures, I prefer the Paris one on the outside, because it looks a lot more archaic and haunted...

Kristof

Masamune, I wasn't into the Phantom Manor either.  But then I started to read a lot more about the story, construction etc which made me hook up to this ride!  I've done the one in Florida, but it isn't near as good as ours: old fx, no storyline and some childish scenes (heads on a stick popping up behind graves, huge fluorescent plastic spiders, ...)

Masamune

Quote from: "raptor1982"Masamune, I wasn't into the Phantom Manor either.  But then I started to read a lot more about the story, construction etc which made me hook up to this ride!  I've done the one in Florida, but it isn't near as good as ours: old fx, no storyline and some childish scenes (heads on a stick popping up behind graves, huge fluorescent plastic spiders, ...)
:o Isn't the American one voiced by Vincent Price? :P I think I'd like ours a lot more if it was English throughout and was voiced by Vincent Price...

RiverSong

Check these mp3s. In 1992, the story of Phantom Manor was narrated by Vincent Price, but French people complained. I really love Phantom Manor and I'm also a fan of Vincent Price. :twisted:
Here, you can hear the original voice of the host (I don't like to call him "Ghost Host" because that doesn't fit with the whole concept of PM).

:arrow:  http://www.soundofmagic.com/sounds/trib ... 0Foyer.mp3

:arrow:  http://www.soundofmagic.com/sounds/trib ... llery1.mp3

:arrow:  http://www.soundofmagic.com/sounds/trib ... llery2.mp3

I hope you'll enjoy that version. I prefer it.