Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

CNET has an article about the CGI work in Indiana Jones, done by Industrial Light & Magic.

An interesting piece of information catches the eye at the end of the article...

QuoteNext up for Landis is another nostalgia-oriented project--a redo of the Star Tours ride at Disneyland. The big question...will Captain EO make a comeback?
I guess we can take this as some kind of semi-confirmation? I can't really see this thing confirmed at a news site before Disney has done it officially. But on the other hand, the source seems reliable.

What do you think?

By the way, the 'Landis' in the quote refers to Hayden Landis who works for Industrial Light & Magic.

I made this post on the Disneyland Park board because Star Tours 2 is also likely to arrive there, although Star Tours 2 will probably appear at the USA Disney parks first.

Clarebelle

well Star Tours does need an update
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Kristof

Quote from: "Clarebelle"well Star Tours does need an update

Really?  Why if I may ask?

Maarten

This is one of those rumours that keeps popping up a few times a year for about a decade now (like you guys talked about in another topic). Your source seems very reliable Remco, and I truly expect them to update Star Tours within the next 3 years (in the US parks at least). I can't wait to see how they will redesign the ride with today's technologies. There is only one problem; the current Star Tours has set a very high standard. Hopefully we won't get a Space Mountain: Mission 2 kind of downgrade. Lets wait and see. :wink:

Kristof

I doubt we'll ever see this upgrade.  Let's face it, the previous make-overs like Mission 2 and Indiana Jones backwards never brought in more people...  Besides, we didn't get Jack Sparrowin our POTC either, why would they bring in Star Tours 2 then?  The ride still works (the past year have all bays been completely refurbished), people still visit and guest satisfaction is still high.

Clarebelle

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quote from: "Clarebelle"well Star Tours does need an update

Really?  Why if I may ask?

Sorry if I have offended anyone, and of corse you may ask.

I went on this ride for the first time this year (Feb), which was probably my first miskake, and although I enjoyed it and admire its charm, like all the good, original attractions, I just felt that it could be bought more upto date, graphics wise and the belts are a little tatty. I'm just being picky I know. But Walt would always want to add new technologies wouldn't he?

It also probably doesn't help that I have never watched Star Wars and don't know anything about it.

Kristof

I wouldn't mind an upgrade, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think this will happen at DLRP any time soon, for the reasons I posted above.  I guess it will also depend to what extend the upgrade will happen.  Will it just be a new (cgi-loaded) movie, will there be in-room effects, 3D-glasses, etc.

Clarebelle

QuoteWill it just be a new (cgi-loaded) movie, will there be in-room effects, 3D-glasses, etc.
I hope not! I'll get scared then  :lol:

QuoteBesides, we didn't get Jack Sparrowin our POTC either
and I REALLY don't want that to happen POTC is a great ride, even without Captain Jack!

david

though star tours is still brilliant fun, it is looking a bit tired now. The projection is a bit dull and fuzzy, the seats could do with being re-upholstered and the screen that descends at the beginning to reveal the cockpit looks a lot like a curtain held up by a pole- oh wait; it is

i'm not sure i want to see a new version if its based on the prequels due to the overuse of CGI - the filming style of the old movies is much more fun if you ask me. the old trilogy also has much more nostalgia and a broader fan base than the new trilogy

an hd video would be nice though

never2old

I think the video could do with a little update... But as you mentioned I don't think we'll get any updates in DLP any time soon. I heard already a few years ago that George Lucas wanted to update the ride and make a podrace scene - but they only mentioned the US parks.      

I won't mind too much if they don't update the ride in Paris. I love it as it is - and it feels more authentic... It's got the run down feel of the old movies!! :)

Owain

:o So they havnt updated the U.S parks either ?
I dont know why but i always thought that the American parks had been updates  :?

-breeno-

Here's off Wikipedia:

QuoteIn April 2005, at the Star Wars Celebration III, Star Wars creator George Lucas confirmed that a Star Tours II is in production. This new ride will apparently be prequel-oriented.

In a concept release, the sequel is described as being based on the Pod Racer sequence in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. The new ride system will consist of a glasses-free 3-D High Definition screen and an improved motion simulator.

The flight information board utilized in the ride queue promises forthcoming adventures to Hoth, Tatooine, and Dagobah and displays the text "Soon Endor Won't Be The End-All". These details, especially the clever tagline, are often mistaken as recent additions, used to support rumors of impending changes to the attraction, but have actually been in place since Star Tours opened, as have advertisements to other planets; eg. Hoth

Personally i don't really want an update, i would like one but i love star tours and i wouldn't want it based on the new movies (episodes I, II, III).  Star Tours got me interested in Star Wars even though i haven't seen the old movies yet.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Remco K.

Quote from: "davidrsykes"i'm not sure i want to see a new version if its based on the prequels due to the overuse of CGI - the filming style of the old movies is much more fun if you ask me. the old trilogy also has much more nostalgia and a broader fan base than the new trilogy
I don't mind using CGI, as long as it's done correctly. There's still to much CGI work that looks like... well, CGI work! ;)

I really don't like the POD racer concept for Star Tours. The current 'space adventure' style ride is more fun. If they keep true to something like the original, I wouldn't mind an update.

dlrp-mad

I like Star Tours as it is. Soundtrack might be worth re-mastering.

I just hope they don't do a CGI overload if they do choose to do an upgrade :S

dlrp trips:Debut] August 2006 - Sequoia Lodge December 2007 - Disneyland Hotel July 2008 - Newport Bay Club

smurfy74

still no confirmation of the update for Tokyo or Paris, i really would like an update to this as I dont think there are ever huge queues for the attraction.