Parade Float questions

Started by candydog, August 29, 2007, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

candydog

Hi - I was just wondering what floats will be left now that the old ones are being destroyed.

This is what I've heard so far:

*All floats will be destroyed with the exception of the Cinderella Float and the old Snow White Float (which has been used in more recent years as the general "opening float" as it can be redecorated to suit any occasion).

*The Mary Poppins Float is to be rebuilt as a High school musical float.

*The Santa Claus float will be kept for christmas

So does this mean that all other floats will be destroyed? It seems like an awful waste! Will High School Musical be getting it's own mini parade? Will any other floats be kept? Which ones will be used for Halloween's pre-parade?

Oh and one more thing (I am so sorry about all the questions but I get very curious about the parade floats and where they disappear to) Where are the old floats from years ago? I remember when the park first opened there were loads of floats including a sleeping beauty float designed as a tower, The Three Good Fairies stood on the stairs, Maleficent was on the top and Aurora's parents stood over her cradle at the bottom - it can still be seen on the old Peter Pan VHS with the Disneyland Paris advert.

Also, there were some pictures on google earth of the old parade floats backstage that were a few years old, can I post them or is this not allowed?

Again I'm so sorry for the questions!!!! :oops:

DisneyAlba

Hmm, I can't answer most of those question, except the High School Musical one: there is currently a small HSM show in the Disney Studios, which indeed appears to use the basics of the old Mary poppins float (I've heard somewhere on this forum...).

But I have some questions of my own, if anyone would care to enlighten me. ;) I looked through all my old photo albums yesterday. In 1994, the parade was simply called 'the parade of the day', and started out with a float which had Mickey and Minnie in a plane (of sorts). (Besides that parade, there was also a special Aladdin parade. In 1997, the only daytime parade was a Hunchback of Notredame Carnival parade....)
Now, in 2004 I saw the Wonderful World of Disney (that's the correct name, isn't it?) parade, and lo and behold: most floats were exactly the same as the original 'parade of the day' in 1994! Only some changes and omissions. For example, the first float changed to the Steamboat Willie one, and the Little Mermaid float changed... But this surprised me. I thought I had read somewhere that the Wonderful World of Disney parade was a complete redesign, but apparently not so - most floats were reused, according to my photos... Can anytime enlighten me with a nice history of the Disneyland Park daytime parade?  :)

(As for the nighttime parade: in 1997, the Electrical Parade ran in october, too... Whereas now Wishes only runs in July/August, and the Christmas season starting somewheer in November?)
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Patrick

This page may be of some help, shameless site plug :lol: . http://www.patmagic.net/history/parade2.htm

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"This page may be of some help, shameless site plug :lol: . http://www.patmagic.net/history/parade2.htm

Great list, thank you.  :stitch:
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

Anonymous

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"the Little Mermaid float changed...

It wasn't a major change. It used to have a boat on the top where human Ariel and Eric would be sat. This was replaced with a clam shell where mermaid Ariel sat.

Mickey and Minnie were in a rocket ship.

I posted some pictures of the original float from 1994 here:-

viewtopic.php?t=2187

matthias-mousy

A video of the "parade of the day" //http://home.scarlet.be/~tsi83178/eurodisney.html

The Beauty and the Beast float is still backstage, you can see it if you drive around the Disneyland Park. I have done this at my last visit on 24 august. I also saw the Easter Decorations en Halloween decorations.

candydog

Thanks guys!!!! Those parade photos and videos are great!!!

But why did they stop using those floats? They were amazing!!!

Which ones will be destroyed now?

Oh, and Dark Prince? Don't you also go by the name of Darth_Deetoo over at ultimatedisney? :wink:

It sounds like the only floats left by the end of the year will be:

Fantillusion floats
Once Upon a Dream floats
Snow White float
Cinderella float
High School Musical float
Santa Claus float
Cinema Parade floats

I'd say the Beauty and the Beast float will be gone soon. It probably just takes a long time to dismantle all of the old floats.

And here's another thing: Disney Parks do great business in selling their old parade floats to other parks. Why doesn't DLP just sell these floats rather than destroy them? Maybe they're too outdated and overused for other Parks to use?

TowMater

You might of heard this, The Dumbo float has been repainted & remodelled into Disney's Character Express.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

Anonymous

Quote from: "candydog"Oh, and Dark Prince? Don't you also go by the name of Darth_Deetoo over at ultimatedisney? :wink:

Yes I do, but I prefer Dark_Prince. ;)

I don't post as much on UD anymore though.

I get a bit fed up with all the bickering on there.  :roll:

theverynk

the beauty and the bearst float was still there last week when i went because u can see it from the the eurostar in a backstage area when u arrive at DLP lol!!
D.
Dan \":peter:\"

Visit our fantastic Disney Character website!
http://www.charactercentral.net

madame_leota

yep i saw the beauty and the beast float too, it was there on the 9th for sure, cant remember if it was still there on the wat back though. one of the others was there 2 i think but i dont remember which one

suzie

speaking of parades does anyone remeber le caravan du aladdin (I remember the french anouncer saying like that, don't know the official name) it must have been in the year that Alladin was in theatres, anyways it was this whole parade dedicated to Aladdin
"Cause I found some kind of fairy...tale"

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "suzie"speaking of parades does anyone remeber le caravan du aladdin (I remember the french anouncer saying like that, don't know the official name) it must have been in the year that Alladin was in theatres, anyways it was this whole parade dedicated to Aladdin

Yep, that was in 1994. I've got pictures of it (not online, though). :)

Poppy The Monkey

Quote from: "madame_leota"yep i saw the beauty and the beast float too, it was there on the 9th for sure, cant remember if it was still there on the wat back though. one of the others was there 2 i think but i dont remember which one

You caught one of the last views of this float which has now been distroyed with all the rest, this week. Only Steamboat Willy remains, but it's half distroyed already. Its really sad, but it was time.

Cinderella's float will be back on the park on Oct 6th for the Halloween pre-parade, as the pink witches float with the leader of the Pink Witches inside. And the old Snow White float also returns the Pumpkin Men/Stitch float again!

miss disney fan

do you know which floats will be around for the christmas season as well as the once a dream parade?