Pirates of the Carribean | official topic

Started by Owain, January 05, 2007, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "pussinboots"But to get back to this Jack Sparrow business, while I understand your antipathy on the subject, do you not think the ride could use a few little somethings? The dueling pirates have long ceased to attract the oohs and ahs they received when the technology was considered state-of-the-art, and the spectacular capacity of the ride is very rarely needed nowadays. (Read: it's not all that popular anymore.) Obviously it would be nicer if they put some of that swanky Jack Sparrow animatronic technology into the existing characters, but since they can't market that, it's not going to happen.

And it doesn't alter the ride in any meaningful sense, as Space Mountain: Mission 2 for example did. It's just a few fun little additions. Would that really be so bad?

In short: yes, it would be that bad :) I have nothing against Jack Sparrow or the movie franchise at all, but this attraction is so amazing and unique in the way it was meant to be originally that even though it is just some "fun little additions", I think that a Jack Sparrow scene where he is alone (the treasure scene) and the fact that the new animatronics replaces some of the excisting ones menas that the ride would be altered in a meaningful sense. I am pretty sure that many guests would then leave the attraction saying: "Wooow, did you see Jack - amazing how he looked like Johnny!" instead of admiring the creativity and amazing storyline behind the original WDI attraction and that would be a shame  :cry:
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

luke85

Quote from: "Merman"They are calling it Euro Disney, as that is what the company that operates Disneyland Paris is called.
I think if they were referring to the operating company they would call it "Euro Disney S.C.A"

Clairelb

Hi There

Not sure if anyone will be able to help

POTC is closed to 19 March - does this mean it will open in the 19th, or is the 19th the last day of closure & it will reopen on the 20th?

Thanks in advance :-)

pussinboots

Quote from: "forza_united"In short: yes, it would be that bad :) I have nothing against Jack Sparrow or the movie franchise at all, but this attraction is so amazing and unique in the way it was meant to be originally that even though it is just some "fun little additions", I think that a Jack Sparrow scene where he is alone (the treasure scene) and the fact that the new animatronics replaces some of the excisting ones menas that the ride would be altered in a meaningful sense. I am pretty sure that many guests would then leave the attraction saying: "Wooow, did you see Jack - amazing how he looked like Johnny!" instead of admiring the creativity and amazing storyline behind the original WDI attraction and that would be a shame  :cry:

What if they were to leave out most of the altered dialog about Jack Sparrow (they might have gone a little too far in that department, I agree) and perhaps the Davy Jones mist screen? (Which they don't have an appropriate place for in Paris anyway.) You'd be left with a new captain whose movements are infinitely more sophisticated than his predecessor, two very snazzy but harmless Jack Sparrows hidden in the scenery and one Jack Sparrow singing along to "Yo-Ho a Pirate's Life for Me" in a place where there is currently nothing.

Jack Sparrow, after all, is just another pirate — he's not Stitch or a Pixar character or anything — so if you forget about his overexposure for a minute, he's just a natural addition to the ride in the same way that the dueling pirates were back in 1992. And would it really be so bad if he managed to reignite the excitement for the ride with the teenybopper crowd? It sure beats the almost depressing lines the ride frequently gets today.

I get the resentment toward movie tie-ins, but I think this one is pretty harmless.

Quote from: "luke85"
Quote from: "Merman"They are calling it Euro Disney, as that is what the company that operates Disneyland Paris is called.
I think if they were referring to the operating company they would call it "Euro Disney S.C.A"

Well, that is a bit like saying Cadbury, plc or Kraft Foods, Inc or Nestlé, S.A. Actually, it is exactly like that. And nobody does that, either. So not necessarily.

But I'm starting to think certain papers have explicitly decided to keep using the Euro Disney name. Editors make decisions like that sometimes. I mean, the Telegraph talked to Disney, for pete's sake. Surely they were shown something, anything with the resort's name on it. Surely they've printed a myriad of articles on Disneyland Paris since 1994.

luke85

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "luke85"

Well, that is a bit like saying Cadbury, plc or Kraft Foods, Inc or Nestlé, S.A. Actually, it is exactly like that. And nobody does that, either. So not necessarily.

But I'm starting to think certain papers have explicitly decided to keep using the Euro Disney name. Editors make decisions like that sometimes. I mean, the Telegraph talked to Disney, for pete's sake. Surely they were shown something, anything with the resort's name on it. Surely they've printed a myriad of articles on Disneyland Paris since 1994.

That's what I was getting at, the Telegraph were just being pig-headed by referring to the resort as Euro Disney. There's no way they were referring to the operating company. Like you said, they spoke directly to the resort, so there's no excuse for them to provide incorrect information. Bad journalism if you ask me! ;)

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"But I'm starting to think certain papers have explicitly decided to keep using the Euro Disney name. Editors make decisions like that sometimes. I mean, the Telegraph talked to Disney, for pete's sake. Surely they were shown something, anything with the resort's name on it. Surely they've printed a myriad of articles on Disneyland Paris since 1994.
I'm certain that's the case, since I've actually had contact with this writer through DLRP Today and he knows Disneyland Paris very well, having covered the resort's ups and downs for years in countless newspapers.

In fact, he actually sent over the full 3.5-page transcript of his talk with David Minichiello a couple of weeks ago and has allowed me to write it up as an article for the site (unfortunately a bit delayed because of last week's downtime). He doesn't go into any more detail about Pirates but it is a fascinating look at how things "happen" at DLP these days, exactly what we've been saying in other topics we don't hear/see enough of.

And even outside of this source, Pirates has been discussed for 2011. It might go some way to explain why the pirate ship is in such a state, if they're planning a full refresh of the pirates area of the land to fill in the gap before the 20th (at least I hope so). It gets my vote, especially with Pirates 4 coming next year.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"I'm certain that's the case, since I've actually had contact with this writer through DLRP Today and he knows Disneyland Paris very well, having covered the resort's ups and downs for years in countless newspapers.

In fact, he actually sent over the full 3.5-page transcript of his talk with David Minichiello a couple of weeks ago and has allowed me to write it up as an article for the site (unfortunately a bit delayed because of last week's downtime). He doesn't go into any more detail about Pirates but it is a fascinating look at how things "happen" at DLP these days, exactly what we've been saying in other topics we don't hear/see enough of.

And even outside of this source, Pirates has been discussed for 2011. It might go some way to explain why the pirate ship is in such a state, if they're planning a full refresh of the pirates area of the land to fill in the gap before the 20th (at least I hope so). It gets my vote, especially with Pirates 4 coming next year.

Who was it then, one wonders, who decided to keep the old name — he or his editor — and why? I understand why they would decide to keep calling Kolkata Calcutta, but what would be the reasoning behind this? Do they feel as though they should not be slaves to Disney's every nomenclatural whim and use the name everyone uses? In any case it's highly unusual for a publication to take such a position where a commercial name is concerned. And yet most of them seem to be taking it.

And you mentioned Captain Hook's ship — is there any reason to believe that they are still looking into sprucing up Adventure Isle? Because that could be good news indeed.

In any case, looking forward to this article.

HildeKitten

I hope they'll keep Captain Hook's Galley and Skull Rock.
I'd be devastated if it suddenly got replaced by the Black Pearl to be honest.

I'm in two minds about the possibility that Jack Sparrow will be added to the ride in 2011.  Part of me thinks it's really cool it'll get a refurb like the American parks, part of me just wants to keep it the way it is and leave tradition be.

Martyn

I think it would be good to have a Barbosa or Davy Jones in the little dark prison area just before the first drop, there's really dark bit just as you turn right past the cells, to have one of the creepy baddies pop out would be ideal!

lil-shawn

If they really wanna change the ride they should take this as the new music theme!
[youtube:2qv43oid]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImcvtJzIK8[/youtube:2qv43oid]

I really hope they wont change it, we have the best version of the ride!

pussinboots

Quote from: "HildeKitten"I hope they'll keep Captain Hook's Galley and Skull Rock.
I'd be devastated if it suddenly got replaced by the Black Pearl to be honest.

Gah! I hadn't even considered that possibility. Don't give them any ideas...

HildeKitten

I imagine it'd be far too much of a hassle and expense for them to replace the galley so let's hope it's there to stay!
I'm hoping they'll keep those forever :)

pussinboots

Yes, but some black paint, a new name and the obligatory interactive plaything are within the realm of the possible... Brrr.

I really hope that if this makeover happens, for once, it won't be such a bittersweet pill. That we won't have to tell ourselves that, hey, they've ruined half of Adventureland, but at least they finally got rid of that urine smell.

Although if all they do is import the recent innovations from Disneyland's Tom Sawyer Island, it should be okay. The caves could do with a few sights and sounds. (And perhaps a few less smells.)

Merman

My favourite part of the park is Adventure isle, but it could do with a good paint job. I love the ship as it is right now, they better not make it into the black pearl! I don't care if they re-touch POTC, but all those changes should stay INSIDE the attraction!

What I really  wish is for them to bring back those mermaids on the beach in front of the ship in summer time. I remember seeing them when I was really young. Haven't seen them since. They were fantastic though, they would sit there and comb their hair ect. Just gave an extra touch to the area. Anyone know if they are still there sometimes?

dagobert

I think PotC should get Jack Sparrow and Barbossa AAs, so that the ride will get more attention again. Waiting time was always less than five minutes and I think the addition will bring more people to the ride.

Skull Rock and the pirate ship should stay as it is, but please refurbish the ship soon. It is in a very bad condition.