Sleeping Beauty Platinum and Blu Ray - confirmed for 2008

Started by Anonymous, June 20, 2007, 09:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

//https://licensing.disney.com/Home/display.jsp?contentId=399931&forPrint=false&language=en&preview=false&region=0

Just found this link on another forum. Haven't read most of the stuff on there, but the most exciting news is that Sleeping Beauty is on Platinum DVD next year... and also on Blu Ray.

I've suspected this would happen for a long time, and I think this will look stunning in Hi Definition, it's one of my top 5 Disney animated classics, and it can only mean the likes of Snow White, The Lion King and best of all... Beauty and the Beast will follow over the next few years.

:D

Patrick

Woo another special edition, I already thought they brought it out a few years ago, suppose this shows every 7 years disney re-release their classics.  Though sounds interesting to hear its going on bluray too, not like that makes much sense to me at all not knowing much about bluray.

Anonymous

Well, I've just got a PS3 a couple of months ago and have bought about 10 titles on Blu Ray now. Picture quality is amazing - and Disney is one of the best supporters of Blu Ray.

bikemonkey

I'm not sure how it would benefit from being high definition.  The strength of hi-def is tat textures and details become visible that aren't visible at lower resolution.  Sleeping Beauty being an animated film, it doesn't have those textures there in the first place; you're not missing anything in lo-res and there's nothing extra to see in hi-res.

Unless I'm mistaken

Anonymous

Well, it could benefit from lower compression, meaning a better picture. Look at Beauty and the Beast, and how that suffers from artefacting because they crammed 3 versions of the movie onto the disc - now imagine that on Blu Ray.

It could also benefit from a more impressive extra's package than the standard definition.

I'm sure there will be something extra to the standard DVD.

peep

Any Disney film being released on blu-ray is good news. Disney is such a big backer of Sony's blu-ray and I believe that they have only released live action films on the format so far.

I don't actually remember Sleeping Beauty being released before on DVD, hmm, well now I'll have the chance to add it to my growing collection.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Anonymous

Chicken Little and Dinosaur are both out on Blu Ray in the US. Dinosaur is out over here and Chicken Little is released in September. Meet the Robinson's and Cars are also scheduled now for Blu Ray release.

Sleeping Beauty is the first traditional 2D animated movie scheduled for release as yet, and I think it's a good choice considering it's format. Aurora should shine like never before on Blu Ray.

There was previously a single disc release in the UK, which was cropped, pan and scan. It later got a 2 disc special edition release, probably in 1993 - it was trailed on the Platinum Edition of Beauty and the Beast, so it was after Beauty and the Beast. However, it's become one of the quite sought after, and hard to find 2 disc editions, certainly in the US - I'm not sure whether it's more readily available in the UK.

I'm quite pleased with the news, it's definitely in my top 10 Disney Classics, and probably up there in the top 5.

Top 5 are probably:-

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Little Mermaid
3. The Lion King
4. Aladdin
5. Sleeping Beauty