Disney Musicals?

Started by Soap, June 20, 2007, 09:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soap

Hi guys and girls ;)

I'm a big musical fan and there for this new topic.

I just wanted to know what you think of Disney themed musicals? Did you ever visit one? What did you think of it?

Here in Holland we now got TARZAN and thats a great production! It's made with help from the grandmaster himself, Phil Collins. The music is great and the sfx (podium, light effects and "real" swinging monkeys) is amazing!
I've seen him twice now and still goosebumps to the max...... :oops:

Before TARZAN we had The Lion King! Oh men...that was just spectacular! The effects and costumes on that one where unique!

And last (i've seen) there was Beauty and the Beast.
A somewhat smaller production, but still, and most of all really, a real Disney costume musical which would fit in any Disney parc around the world!

So...tell me what you think about it or tell me your musical story ;)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Anonymous

Quote from: "Soap"And last (i've seen) there was Beauty and the Beast.
A somewhat smaller production, but still, and most of all really, a real Disney costume musical which would fit in any Disney parc around the world!

8)

Going today, for the second time.

Hmmmmm, Belle.

:lol:

Riebi

We have here in germany much disney musicals. In Hamburg is Lion King, in Berlin Beauty and the Beast, we should get Mary Poppins and Tarzan next time and we had the hunchback.

They are all a big success cause the wonderful décor etc.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

DisneyBud

I have seen Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and Mary Poppins (3 times :oops: ), all brilliant musicals, and I can't wait to hear more about the Little Mermaid musical opening on Broadway later this year

dreamseeker

Only the Beauty and the Beast Musical in Madrid (Spain)... but this november the show comes again to Madrid and I'll see this again!

At Barcelone (i don't remember when) i saw peter pan - the musical, but it isn't it of disney brodway shows.

I hope that the Mary Popins Tour comes to Madrid or Barcelone.
from barcelone... Dreamseeker

madame_leota

i have seen beauty and the beast twice and mary poppins, beauty and the beast was amazing!! its probably one of the best shows i have ever seen on stage! i just cant wait for it to come back so i can drag the rest of my family with me this time. although i dont really think much dragging will be needed for my sis or mum!! :D

disney_donutter

I haven't seen beauty and the beast... :cry:
Mary Poppins rocked though!!!! woo!

Roll on Feb 08 for High School Musical!! lol

Maarten

Last week I have been to Tarzan, here in The Hague. I really liked it (although I am not an expert on musicals) and I thought it was on par with The Lion King. It seems really odd that this musical was such a flop in the States because in my opinion it is a musical with great music, effects and interaction with the audience. On the other hand, I read somewhere that the Dutch version of Tarzan is a plussed version of the American one. Either way, the audience was really enthausiastic... and I can't blame them really.  :wink:

Soap

Hey Maarten, been there 2 times myself and yes it's such a great musical! The effects, the music and the surroundings are really awesome! But your are right, our Dutch (european) version is much bigger then the American version. This is also because we expect something more of the musicals. And the second thing is that we've got a real big Musical production company here that puts so much effort and heart in the productions, incredible!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Maarten

Quote from: "Soap"But your are right, our Dutch (european) version is much bigger then the American version. This is also because we expect something more of the musicals. And the second thing is that we've got a real big Musical production company here that puts so much effort and heart in the productions, incredible!

Thanks for the information! Indeed, everybody knows that Joop van den Ende/Stage Entertainment stands for a quality experience, just like Disney (at least one could have expected that on every project until the mid 90s). In that way Disney and Stage Entertainment can be compared easily, with Joop being some sort of Walt.  :P

peep

I still havn't seen any Disney productions in London. I really want to see the Lion King and I'm tempted to see Mary Poppins before it leaves in January.

I have a friend that works in a local theatre and she has been informed that our local theatre (which is part of a huge theatre chain in London) is co-producing with Disney for High school musical which begins in Febuary. So I plan to go on one of the first performances as it will be just down the road from me before moving into a bigger theatre in London :P
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Flounder

Aloha,

I saw Beauty and the Beast twice in London and twice in Oberhausen, Germany. Both great shows though the one in Oberhausen was slightly different from the original one - they had an additional song what was very nice - but also did so much changes to the stage design that made me miss the original show pretty much.

Then I got to see "Der Gloeckner von Notre Dame" in Berlin. Really a great show and it's sad that this one never made any other appearances after it was cancelled.

Furthermore I saw "Der Koenig der Loewen" in Hamburg. By far the best Musical I've ever seen! I guess most of you know it - so I don't have to tell you much about it ;)

And last year I was able to see "Tarzan" on Broadway. This was by far the worst musical I've ever seen and it does anything but surpising me that it had only such a short life circle. I don't know the dutch version - but heard a lot of good things about it. How do you get tix for that one?

I am looking forward to Ariel - hope we'll have this one over here someday!

Cheers,
Flounder

Soap

@ Flounder: It's in Dutch, but this is the official site

//http://webshop.topticketline.nl/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TAR&style=musicals

Flounder

Thanks for the info, Soap! It's not that far away from here - maybe we'll take the chance to drive over for a nice evening ... any recommendations for seats? We had those restricted view seats in NYC - but they were still absolutely ok!

Thanks ...

Cheers,
Flounder

suzie

I really hop the little mermaid will come to holland, it's on eof my fav Disney movies, especially music wise, so the musical has got to be amazing
"Cause I found some kind of fairy...tale"