Where has everyone gone?

Started by Slimy yet satisfying, June 07, 2019, 09:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slimy yet satisfying

I'm surely not the only one who has noticed that posts on this forum are almost non-existent. A real shame as there was a great community spirit that we will sadly lose. I wonder if people have moved to other sites because of previous tech problems or if their love of Disney is decreasing because of extended refurbs and closures. It certainly can't be that we know it all now or have no news to share! Calling, calling, is there anyone out there......
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

amywayne2701

I agree I've always loved this site loved reading the trip reports and it always gave me a DLP fix between trips.

Zee79

I've noticed the lack in posts now. I admit I didn't write my last trip up, got totally sidetracked with life haha but love to read others. I'll try and write it up shortly as I've got a first ever WDW trip coming up followed by a stay in THE pink hotel ( don't know which I'm more excited for now).

norhel

I think that many are on the social media sites, due to the fact that many people are on a couple of groups there.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

NCC1701Q

I mostly posted here answering other peoples questions, but there seem to be less and less questions being asked.
Certainly have not lost my love for Disney, looking forward for a 24-day family holiday at DLP in July/August!

polar vixen

mickeyspal

Same here.
I must admit I don't visit the site daily as I used to,  I'll pop in once in awhile to read the topics but I don't feel the same vibe about the site as I did a couple years ago. I think this is the first time I've seen  all your names on the same page for a long time; good to here from you all again.
I still love DLP and now that I have a 2year old grandson I'm making sure he is brought up the Disney way, he's already been to the park a couple of times and on Disney cruise, and I admit I'm now hooked on the cruises.☺
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

Mrsya

I have been thinking the same thing!  :(

My last question only got one response.

Maybe people have made the move over to more instant, busy platforms...

norhel

Quote from: Mrsya on June 08, 2019, 12:40:41 AM

Maybe people have made the move over to more instant, busy platforms...

I think this is it. I'm also on a few social media groups, and those get a lot of instant traffic,

bad-pink-tink

I still check in every day but with the lack of new posts and no one replying to anything I feel whats the point any more. Ive moved to DISBOARDS, where Ive become one of the more active people on the Disneyland Paris section. Theres alot more Americans visiting Disneyland Paris now so that section on Disborads has become alot more active.

When Anthony took over I did message him about me possibly being a mod. I have experience being a mod on other forums and in my day job I work on websites and social media. I told him I could help get this place a bit more active but he never replied, so I kinda just gave up on here.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Mileto

There is a very strong closed group in Facebook. I personally think everyone moved there.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

norhel

Quote from: Mileto on June 10, 2019, 01:07:01 PM
There is a very strong closed group in Facebook. I personally think everyone moved there.
Indeed.

polar vixen

Sad. I don't do Facebook. Miss you guys

Mushu_Stitch

It really is a shame this forum isn't so active. I admit that I do log in more when I have a trip planned to DLP so I can get up to date information about stuff happening at the parks, changes, etc but I did always like coming on even without a planned trip to help answer questions if I can. I liked sharing some insider knowledge when I could and I always liked being able to ask questions too to help gain insider knowledge for my own trips. There's so much to do at DLP that I find this insider knowledge really helps to make the most of our time there to gain the most out of it.

I have noticed though that things are going rather quiet and it does seem to be since those technical issues a while back. I was unable to access the forum for a good few weeks so I'm guessing people found another platform to ask their questions and never checked back if this one was back up and running again.

Such a shame really as this is the only Disney based forum I like using so would be sad to see it fade away  :'(

Anthony

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on June 08, 2019, 11:33:33 AMWhen Anthony took over I did message him about me possibly being a mod. I have experience being a mod on other forums and in my day job I work on websites and social media. I told him I could help get this place a bit more active but he never replied, so I kinda just gave up on here.

Hey - really sorry about that!  :-[  After taking over the forum I'd been trying to work out what to "do" with it and didn't want to be taking on moderators if I don't know where the forum stands - and then life gets in the way as usual.

I do have to honest however, the forum doesn't need mods - it needs posters, people. If we reach the stage there are lots of topics that actually need moderating then I'll be in touch, but as it stands there's nothing stopping anyone taking a lead and trying to get some conversations going or encouraging more people to join.

But I'm not complacent. What needs to happen is to actually drop the magicforum name and move the forum under DLP Guide as part of the website itself, so that it feels part of something, fully integrated and not a hidden corner of the internet. It has always been mostly associated with the website anyway - almost all traffic here has always been sent from there. (I'm aware this probably needs to coincide with reinventing DLP Guide itself - but believe me when I say this is a mammoth task).

We also need a more modern design theme that works better on mobile too. No doubt one reason for Twitter and Facebook becoming popular one-stop places for fans is the ease of posting and reading. But personally, they're not for me. I've always preferred how forums are far more open-to-all without the cliques and tribal in-jokes. There's still place for good English language Disneyland Paris forums (especially ones that talk about more than trip planning) and I'll make sure this one keeps moving forward.

If anyone has more ideas or things they'd like to see happen here, please let me know.  :)