6 people injured on Disney World water ride

Started by Owain, May 29, 2007, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

QuoteThe Associated Press
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.
Five Walt Disney World visitors and a theme park worker were injured Tuesday after a water ride malfunctioned, authorities said.

Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said the injuries were not life threatening, but she couldnt be more specific. She said it was not immediately clear what happened to the Kali River Rapids ride, but somehow it malfunctioned where guests transfer from floats to a walkway.

"Nothing like this has ever happened," Polak said.

Disney closed the ride to investigate, she said. It simulates a river rapids trip through an Asian rain forest in the Animal Kingdom part of Disney World.

//http://www.distantcreations.com/blog/2007/05/29/6-people-injured-on-walt-disney-world-water-ride-theledgercom/

//http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070529/APN/705291617

Soap

Well that sounds not so good, not that big of a deal, but we know what americans are like, this will result in some lawsuits i guess.....?
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

TowMater

We all know how Americian people are like, always wanting more money.

I have to deal with some on Youtube.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

disneyfanatic

See this is why being an American overseas or anywhere sucks for us. We always get sterotyped. Disney probably already settled with the poeple so they most likely won't sue. I fell down a flight of concrete stairs at Disney Village in FL and have permanent scars and pain in my leg over a year later. My new jeans, top and shoes were torn apart and my new anniversary ring was damaged. I lost the food I had in my hand (which we all know is expensive) I am still nervous walking down flights of stairs to this day. I didn't sue and I didn't complain to anyone about it and received no compensation. Not even replacing my food which I'm sure had I asked they would've done. We were paying over $100 non refundable for a babysitter in our hotel that night. I was also unable to dance in all the clubs I had been so looking forward to going into for months as this happend 45 minutes after leaving our hotel. We are not all the same just as all types of people all over the world can't be blamed for a the few bad examples show on TV and in the news. I hate sterotypes can't you tell? Besides I think everbody everywhere in the world always want or could use more money not just Americans.

Kristof

Quote from: "Soap"we know what americans are like

Quote from: "TowMater"We all know how Americian people are like, always wanting more money.

A bit more respect please.   I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate comments like these about the Dutch or Brits.  :!:

Anonymous

Quote from: "disneyfanatic"I fell down a flight of concrete stairs at Disney Village in FL and have permanent scars and pain in my leg over a year later. My new jeans, top and shoes were torn apart and my new anniversary ring was damaged. I lost the food I had in my hand (which we all know is expensive) I am still nervous walking down flights of stairs to this day. I didn't sue and I didn't complain to anyone about it and received no compensation. Not even replacing my food which I'm sure had I asked they would've done.

To be fair though, and I'm not picking fault with you, this is a completely different situation. Was there any actual negligence or fault with Disney when you fell down the stairs? If it was a pure accident, then I really don't see how they could be held to be responsible in any way. The only circumstance I can see where they should accept blame is if there was an obstruction on the stairs, or a slippery patch or no safety rails.

But I also think, in the case of an attraction ride going wrong, wherever it happened, and whatever nationality you were. If you were injured, you'd be seeking recompense, and so I think it's a bit uncalled for to be criticising Americans, or anyone else for that matter. And I'm sure a company like Disney wouldn't want adverse publicity and would have done as much as they could to recompense the visitors at the time.

It all seems a bit of a non-story to me, but is typical of the press in trying to make more out of it than actually exists.

TowMater

Quote from: "disneyfanatic"See this is why being an American overseas or anywhere sucks for us. We always get sterotyped. Disney probably already settled with the poeple so they most likely won't sue. I fell down a flight of concrete stairs at Disney Village in FL and have permanent scars and pain in my leg over a year later. My new jeans, top and shoes were torn apart and my new anniversary ring was damaged. I lost the food I had in my hand (which we all know is expensive) I am still nervous walking down flights of stairs to this day. I didn't sue and I didn't complain to anyone about it and received no compensation. Not even replacing my food which I'm sure had I asked they would've done. We were paying over $100 non refundable for a babysitter in our hotel that night. I was also unable to dance in all the clubs I had been so looking forward to going into for months as this happend 45 minutes after leaving our hotel. We are not all the same just as all types of people all over the world can't be blamed for a the few bad examples show on TV and in the news. I hate sterotypes can't you tell? Besides I think everbody everywhere in the world always want or could use more money not just Americans.

Ouch!  :shock:  That's got to hurt, I suffer from alot of problems inculding Autistim.

Previous Disney Visits

TowMater

Quote from: "Dark_Prince"
Quote from: "disneyfanatic"I fell down a flight of concrete stairs at Disney Village in FL and have permanent scars and pain in my leg over a year later. My new jeans, top and shoes were torn apart and my new anniversary ring was damaged. I lost the food I had in my hand (which we all know is expensive) I am still nervous walking down flights of stairs to this day. I didn't sue and I didn't complain to anyone about it and received no compensation. Not even replacing my food which I'm sure had I asked they would've done.

To be fair though, and I'm not picking fault with you, this is a completely different situation. Was there any actual negligence or fault with Disney when you fell down the stairs? If it was a pure accident, then I really don't see how they could be held to be responsible in any way. The only circumstance I can see where they should accept blame is if there was an obstruction on the stairs, or a slippery patch or no safety rails.

But I also think, in the case of an attraction ride going wrong, wherever it happened, and whatever nationality you were. If you were injured, you'd be seeking recompense, and so I think it's a bit uncalled for to be criticising Americans, or anyone else for that matter. And I'm sure a company like Disney wouldn't want adverse publicity and would have done as much as they could to recompense the visitors at the time.

It all seems a bit of a non-story to me, but is typical of the press in trying to make more out of it than actually exists.

When my sister always fall down the stairs we always call her Tigger because she bounces like him. It gets boring sometimes.

Previous Disney Visits

disneyfanatic

There was one rail in the center of the stairs and as it was night time it also wasn't lit very well and it was actually in Pleasure Island not Disney Village in FL. There may have even been something slick on the stairs like I said I didn't make a big deal out of it but I could've. I don't even know if they cleaned up my food that spilled during the fall?
As for being my fault either way you look at it some of the injuries that have happened at Disney parks have been when people stood up on rides and sued/settled with Disney. I actually didn't even think about suing even though some people told me I should. I was afraid if I did then part of the settlement would be I couldn't return to Disney and if I don't get my Disney fix well.... I can't even imagine not being able to go to Disney :!:
My only fault was that I didn't go to the doctor the next day as we were 6 hours away from home and Expedition Everest had opened in the Animal Kingdom plus we were going to Blizzard Beach. You have to understand the previous 3 trips our son had stitches in his foot, a cast on his arm and a cast on his foot so we had not been able to do a water park before and all I thought was if I go to the doctor- he is going to put me in a cast from my hip to my ankle. In FL in May- no thank you! I didn't spoil my family's vacation and hobbled around slowly the rest of the week. (Turns out we only spent half a day in the water park as my husband became sick and had a fever) My legs were very colorful though and I'm sure some people who saw me in shorts must of thought I was abused or something.

I found this site earlier that shows Disney injuries if anyone is interested. Most of the ones listed don't seem like Disney's fault. Especially if someone stands up on a ride.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at-Disney_parks

PS I still haven't gone to see the doctor now over a year later because I am afraid he will tell me to stop dancing and cheerleading. I just live with the pain. As long as I don't cross my legs I am ok. It's only when there is pressure against my left side... I'm tough  :lol:

speedpacket

Well, while I don't like to sterotype Americans, it must be said that the cultural differences between the Americans and the European continent are huge, and to my concern increasingly visible for us Europeans.

Without going into details - I have been trying to work something out with a US company in a situation that I had to deal with earlier with a European company.  The issue was settled with the European company within 3 days, but the US company is still not prpviding any service, although they agree I am 100% in my right.

This is a professional issue, but they even told me I should seek lgal assistance, as they can't do anything, because it "isn't written in their script" or because "there is no procedure for that".

I agree that we shouldn't be stereotyping at all, but the way that many US companies work is just something I will never understand.

Also, it isn't wrong saying that there will probably BE a law suit, as statistics prove that in the US, people tend to make lawyers richer by going to courts much more often than anywhere else on the planet.

I have some friends in the US as well, and they are great people, but unfortunately, the general atmosphere of a complete lack of service and always hiding behind lawyers is what makes doing business with US companies very difficult...

I know this is a little off topic, but to summarise, we shouldn't sterotype, but I hope you as aUS citizen also understand that the image that is put up of you outside of the states really isn't the best...

I just hope there will be a day that EU and US will stand closer together again soon, just as we should all work together in the entire word, no matter what race, nationality or religion!
Next visit:
13-14-15 February 2009 - Valentine in DLH Castle Club

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

disneyfanatic

How can I not realize how people view us when you so clearly point it out?  :evil: That is the trouble with the world as a whole and why no one will ever get along. I'm tired of trying to always think and see the good in all people because all the world as a whole will never change and it's just very very sad :cry:  Why should Americans even try to be nice to anyone when we are already being judged? I was really excited when I found this site and well now, what's the point in coming since I can see how people feel.

speedpacket

Quote from: "disneyfanatic"How can I not realize how people view us when you so clearly point it out?  :evil: That is the trouble with the world as a whole and why no one will ever get along. I'm tired of trying to always think and see the good in all people because all the world as a whole will never change and it's just very very sad :cry:  Why should Americans even try to be nice to anyone when we are already being judged? I was really excited when I found this site and well now, what's the point in coming since I can see how people feel.
Hello,

You really shouldn't misinterprete what I say.
What I clearly said is that NO, no one should ever have prejudices based on nationality, race, religion or whatsoever.  All I wanted to point out is that there ARE cultural differences, but that does not mean one or the other is worse.

Just my personal opinion, I wouldn't like to live in a world where everythiung has to be settled by court law, and unfortunately, in my humble opinion, going to court is just much mort part of the culture in the US than in Europe, although it must be said that Europe seems to be going in the same direction as well, and I very much hope we can stop that evolution.

Are Americans bad because they go to court that easily?  no, because I very much know that you simply don't have another solution in many occasions when you have a dispute in the US or want to have something done.  In my personal experience now, customer service of company XXX simply ignored my phone calls, letters, anything until we were forced to contact a lawyer.  Less than 15 minutes (sic!!!) after I contacted the lawyer, the issue was settled...  am I bad because I had to contact a lawyer, no.

Also - I don't believe Americans should pity themselves TOO much really.  Back in the days of Clinton, our view over the Americans wasn't that bad at all, and I liked working with them a lot!  Unfortunately, Bush came into place, and in the first four years in office, we can easily understand that probably not everyone in the US understands or knew upfront that this was going to happen.  I have very little understanding however for the fact that he got re-elected. It was beyond my imagination that this could happen.  

Does that mean that I should prejudice every american I talk to?  No, because I can not know whether he voted for Bush or not, and even if he did, there is no way that that even remotely proves that this American is "stupid" or whatever other prejudices can be made...

All I WAS trying to explain is that - as easy as the US citien was misled into electing Bush for a second time, you should at least understand that it is equally easy for a non-US citizen to drwa the wrong conclusions.

yes, there is a lot to be said about this world, but I don't think US should embrace themselves into a role of victim.  

I welcome you very much to the board...  All I can say is that I apreciate that you feel misjudged on several occasions, but I just hope I explained myself well enough for you to explain why I think it is relatively normal that you are being judged, even though that should never be approved...
Next visit:

Thank you Disney for introducing me to my girlfriend!  Disney truly is magical!!!

TowMater

Quote from: "speedpacket"
Quote from: "disneyfanatic"How can I not realize how people view us when you so clearly point it out?  :evil: That is the trouble with the world as a whole and why no one will ever get along. I'm tired of trying to always think and see the good in all people because all the world as a whole will never change and it's just very very sad :cry:  Why should Americans even try to be nice to anyone when we are already being judged? I was really excited when I found this site and well now, what's the point in coming since I can see how people feel.
Hello,

You really shouldn't misinterprete what I say.
What I clearly said is that NO, no one should ever have prejudices based on nationality, race, religion or whatsoever.  All I wanted to point out is that there ARE cultural differences, but that does not mean one or the other is worse.

Just my personal opinion, I wouldn't like to live in a world where everythiung has to be settled by court law, and unfortunately, in my humble opinion, going to court is just much mort part of the culture in the US than in Europe, although it must be said that Europe seems to be going in the same direction as well, and I very much hope we can stop that evolution.

Are Americans bad because they go to court that easily?  no, because I very much know that you simply don't have another solution in many occasions when you have a dispute in the US or want to have something done.  In my personal experience now, customer service of company XXX simply ignored my phone calls, letters, anything until we were forced to contact a lawyer.  Less than 15 minutes (sic!!!) after I contacted the lawyer, the issue was settled...  am I bad because I had to contact a lawyer, no.

Also - I don't believe Americans should pity themselves TOO much really.  Back in the days of Clinton, our view over the Americans wasn't that bad at all, and I liked working with them a lot!  Unfortunately, Bush came into place, and in the first four years in office, we can easily understand that probably not everyone in the US understands or knew upfront that this was going to happen.  I have very little understanding however for the fact that he got re-elected. It was beyond my imagination that this could happen.  

Does that mean that I should prejudice every american I talk to?  No, because I can not know whether he voted for Bush or not, and even if he did, there is no way that that even remotely proves that this American is "stupid" or whatever other prejudices can be made...

All I WAS trying to explain is that - as easy as the US citien was misled into electing Bush for a second time, you should at least understand that it is equally easy for a non-US citizen to drwa the wrong conclusions.

yes, there is a lot to be said about this world, but I don't think US should embrace themselves into a role of victim.  

I welcome you very much to the board...  All I can say is that I apreciate that you feel misjudged on several occasions, but I just hope I explained myself well enough for you to explain why I think it is relatively normal that you are being judged, even though that should never be approved...

Did you read the rules lately?

Always respect others and guess what?

Your not so just stop, Other people inculding americians are reading this topic.

Previous Disney Visits

speedpacket

I am NOT insulting other people.  If you can't read or won't even try to understand what I wrote, then please do not respond.
Next visit:

Kristof

Closing, the subject has gone way too off topic.  :!: