(What if) DLP's verison of DCA

Started by Rocketeer, November 29, 2017, 09:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

There's a lot of specualtion that TDL will be getting a third park by the end of the next decade, and that it could be a Japanese version of Disney California Adventure. In other words, a park that is aimed at/themed to the local culture.

It's highly unlikely that this would happen in DLP, but what if they did a DCA style park? Plenty of European themes to explore.

Sure Star Wars Land / Marvel Land et al would serve the resort better (bring in more guests), and no doubt a lot of the other parks in Europe have already covered this (ie Parc Asterix or Eifteling for example), but this is just for fun.

And, as a polite request; this is inteded to be a light hearted discussion.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

msRavenswood

Personally, I find it strange that DLP hasn't taken advantage of the fact that many of the Disney animated films are based on european tales. Wouldn't it be great if we had a park with unique attractions that represent various parts of Europe?

sunshine1

DLP has never featured much Beauty and the Beast has it?

Mental!

The only thing I can think of is the recent Belle meets and the film characters in Mickey and the Magician.

Jules Verne

DCA had a lot of problems when it first opened and people think this is due to it not being creative enough, though rides like soaring are great, a theme of California in California is redundant because the real thing is outside of the park.

People are talking about connecting the French/European story to the park but Disney dont want that since it seems like Star Wars will get shoe horned into tomorrow land killing the Jules Verne style and beauty and the beast etc could easily be in fantasy land so a whole park for French/European culture seems unlikely and I dont see Disney wanting to do that since they love to push the films etc.

Its a shame because mystic manor in adventure land would be amazing but i think they will want to add Star Wars and Marvel so they can rake in more money quickly   

Rocketeer

Sure, DCA 1.0 had many issues (I'd argue that it was still a better park than WDS), however they did finally add more depth to the park when they spent the $1bn to fix those mistakes. On a side note, it's a shame as a lot of this work now seems to have been ditched in favour of an IP influx (which, is not only affecting DCA).

Anyway, if they choose to emulate DCA in Tokyo, or in this thread's case Paris, I don't think it will be anywhere near what DCA was back in '01. I would imagine that in creating Shanghai Disneyland to be "authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese" they have now a different perspective on how to incorporate local culture into thier parks better.

And while large parts of Fantasyland already cover the folklore aspect of European culture. However there is more that they could do.

There's not only the French side of it, but also German folklore and then there's a vast amount of Scandiavian stories to explore. Anyone for a bigger better version of the Maelstrom? ;)

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Jules Verne

I like to think that lessons have been learnt from the openings of DLP, WDS, DCA and HKDL. Though i have not been there Shanghai DL does look great and the expansion of DCA has been amazing.

But in terms of 3rd park based on European folk lore etc i just cant see it happening, i cant even see it happening in the Disneyland park. 
If they expanded WDS with Star Wars, Marvel etc and put journey to the centre of the earth in where star tours currently is i think it could happen and I would be so, so happy because you are right their is so much to create from the European cultures, myths, legends etc but i dont see it happening.

I feel like Disney would see it as more need and cost effective to throw IP's at Paris because of the debt and cost of purchase the resort.

This is not me saying its a bad idea, I would be so happy with an EPCOT style park with an emphasis on the worlds showcase section but i dont think that is particular popular with casual visitors, though i would love a maelstrom ride and a Matterhorn :)           

Rocketeer

Can't disagree with you there. If there was a chance of a third park then Marvel and Star Wars are more than likely the chosen IP. Of course, the main question is if they built a third gate - something which I can't see happening for quite a while.

I agree, EPCOT would probably be an even better choice. And if they wanted to go unique, then why not dust of WestCot, which was originally planned for the spot that DCA occupies now.

In short, WestCot would have had a World Showcase, but with regions rather than nations. Here's a great video detailing what might have been... (WestCot park is at 3:48)
https://youtu.be/-TCmGba7sb8?t=3m48s

Now I think about it, I'd rather have this for Paris' third gate.

Jules Verne

That's a great clip about west/Epcot concept, though i'm not sure if Disney would make an exact EPCOT/world show case, i can see them expanding the world show case with lands based on properties crossed with historical areas. e.g. Tortuga (from POTC) ancient China, Pandora: World of Avatar, 1930's Chicago etc

I know these seem like a weird mix though :/   

Rocketeer

I'm liking the sound of that actually. Sort of an 'Explorers Park' type thing. And it would then allow a lot of different locations to be put together. Galaxy's Edge could fit in there too... however that could be saved for the Studios.

Nice idea. :)

Jules Verne

Ah thank you that's very nice of you to say so, i dont think its unreasonable for me to think that Disney should hire us as imagieers to sort out DLP ;P

Yeah i think putting star tours and galaxy's edge would be the bet decision for WDS but i dont see it happening :(

Rocketeer

Haha yeah we could get it sorted out no problem. :D

Galaxy's Edge would be great for WDS (and I agree - unlikely to happen as it's too expensive for Paris), but what if it did go into a third gate, and then the rest of the Studios could become a Marvel centric expansion?

Surely that's a win-win all around?

Jules Verne

It could be but i think DLP's problem has been adding more then it needs to, when it opened it had too many hotels and i think a few years before WDS opened it turned a profit but didn't again until the 15th anniversary

The main focus should be on expanding the studios

Rocketeer

You hit the nail on the head there. If only they'd had left it a two or three hotels to start off with - how things could have been (slightly) different.

At least on a postive note, there's plenty of hotel space when it'll be needed. ie. Marvel Land or Star Wars Land.