Note for people wanting to do character breakfast and have free half board

Started by sunshine1, May 01, 2017, 04:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine1

It is not a cheap supplement. It is 25 euros each.
For people staying at newport with free half board i thought it would be just an 8 euros supplement fee.
Been told it is 25 euros each.
Wowsers.

lawleypop2011

That does seem a lot, I'm hoping to book a holiday for next year with extended family and will probably stay in Newport or Sequoia and hoped to do Inventions and now wonder whether the plus meal plan is actually worth it?

wallefan

I think this is another case of mixed messages depending which CM you speak to.

I have added the character breakfast to my booking and only paid £8 each to upgrade from the free breakfast.

I have just tried another dummy booking online and if you add Plaza Gardens to a booking which has free dining it is coming up as £8 per person.

polar vixen

You d9nt know their name do you? And was your booking with disneyland pairs.co.uk? I'll be giving them a ring if that's all it is!

wallefan

Sorry I don't know who it was but yes I did book with disneylandparis.co.uk

I have tried another 'dummy' booking on the website and it only adds £8 per person for the character breakfast so I think you will be fine when you ring.

diannasfamily

I am taking my daughter on 14th August  just asked about upgrading a breakfast from standard to character and was told it will be €19 each and can only be done 3 days in advance .... I am baffled we normally go to florida  paris seems so hard to sort the food

Caz

Quote from: wallefan on May 04, 2017, 11:30:05 AM
Sorry I don't know who it was but yes I did book with disneylandparis.co.uk

I have tried another 'dummy' booking on the website and it only adds £8 per person for the character breakfast so I think you will be fine when you ring.

I tried this too but for a DLH booking with the free dining and no up-grade to full board for four, it asks for £108! Although if i up-grade to full board, can use lunch vouchers at no extra cost. Is it possible that this is what the £8 is, a supplement to your lunch vouchers? I have to say the whole meal plan voucher thing is way too complicated and we don't normally worry and use our shareholder discount instead, but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth! ;)
Disneyland Hotel - SEPT 17
Davy Crockett  - JUL 15
Davy Crockett  - JUN 12
Hotel Cheyenne - FEB 11
Magic Circus - SEPT 10
Newport Bay Club - NOV 2009
Sequioa Lodge - JAN 2009
Davy Crocketts  -  AUG 2008

claire2281

Quote from: diannasfamily on June 03, 2017, 05:40:02 PM
I am taking my daughter on 14th August  just asked about upgrading a breakfast from standard to character and was told it will be €19 each and can only be done 3 days in advance .... I am baffled we normally go to florida  paris seems so hard to sort the food

Just to reiterate...

Only hotel guests can book the character breakfast more than 3 days in advance so if you're not staying at a Disney hotel then you won't be able to add it. Essentially it's a perk for hotel guests and others can fill up any gaps.

If you are staying at a Disney hotel, you don't ring up restaurant reservations for it, you have to ring up and add it to your overall booking instead. If anyone is telling you that you can't, explain you're a hotel guest and ask to speak to someone else if necessary. It can and has been added to a booking but not everyone answering the phones seems to understand the situation still (which is very annoying!).

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

polar vixen

We added it for 8 euros per person. I can't see it being in addition to a lunch voucher as a lunch voucher is already worth more than the breakfast anyway

Caz

Well it cost me £208 to up-grade to full board i.e. £27 per person which is the cost of a character breakfast at PG. Supplement payable will depend on whether you have a premium meal plan - nothing to pay, plus meal plan £8 pp and standard £15 pp.  I have just tried a dummy booking at Sequoia with the free dining offer. Before up-grading to full board it cost £108 to add PG breakfast, £27 pp, after up-grading to full board it cost £32, £8 pp. May I ask what meal plan you had/have?

This is a quote from the website in relation to free dining bookings
Quote:
"Character Dining Experiences are subject to availability, and qualify as 1 waiter service meal (e.g. Lunch) with a Premium Meal Plan. ‡Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show is subject to availability, qualifies as 1 waiter service meal (e.g. Dinner) and is limited to one complimentary show per stay with a Premium Meal Plan" unquote

Just trying to clear this up so no-one gets caught out thinking they can use their breakfast voucher + supplement paid, when in fact they will have to use a lunch voucher. I will be phoning to add my reservation to my booking so will check again - the person I spoke to when I booked didn't seem very sure hence all the delving.

Anyone out there been with free dining and had a character breakfast can confirm either way?!
Davy Crockett  - JUL 15
Davy Crockett  - JUN 12
Hotel Cheyenne - FEB 11
Magic Circus - SEPT 10
Sequioa Lodge - JAN 2009

BeautyandtheBeast

Here's a chart showing how much extra you pay to top up depending on what type of meal plan you have. It includes character breakfasts. 👍 It's €25 for breakfast if you have NO meal plan at Newport.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Caz

Thanks BeautyandtheBeast, that's really helpful, shows how complicated it is. However, for anyone reading just be aware that this is for those who have purchased meal plans. The conditions applied to free dining offers mean that other supplements may apply and I think this is what is causing all the confusion. Although those receiving the offer will get premium, plus or standard lunch/dinner, the counter service breakfast in the offer does not correlate with the cost of hotel breakfasts and is the same for all irrespective of which hotel you're staying in.
Davy Crockett  - JUL 15
Davy Crockett  - JUN 12
Hotel Cheyenne - FEB 11
Magic Circus - SEPT 10
Sequioa Lodge - JAN 2009

BeautyandtheBeast

@Caz. What are the 'other' supplements if you have a free meal plan? Other than the counter breakfast because From what I've heard that chart is accurate for paid and free meal plans.

Caz

I'm sorry what I'm trying to say, and not making a very good job of it, is that if you have purchased your meal plan outright (talking new bookings that don't include breakfast) so you would have either breakfast and lunch or dinner or all three, then to have a Character breakfast at PG will cost a supplement or not on a breakfast, depending on your meal plan, standard, plus or premium. However, if you have the free dining all breakfasts are counter service and don't count towards a PG breakfast booking therefore you will have to use a lunch/dinner voucher and pay a supplement on that depending on its value. At least that's how I understand it.

When I booked (free dining - premium) I would either have to pay the full amount for x4  of £108 on half board or, having paid for full board, it was included but would have to use lunch vouchers. Would be a whole lot easier if they would take the value of the breakfast vouchers into account instead and then just pay the difference which I think would work out to about £15-17 a head and be the same for all on free dining. Thought of trying to book it separately but will probably not worry and just go to Inventions.
Davy Crockett  - JUL 15
Davy Crockett  - JUN 12
Hotel Cheyenne - FEB 11
Magic Circus - SEPT 10
Sequioa Lodge - JAN 2009

claire2281

Quote from: Caz on June 07, 2017, 09:54:12 PM
I'm sorry what I'm trying to say, and not making a very good job of it, is that if you have purchased your meal plan outright (talking new bookings that don't include breakfast) so you would have either breakfast and lunch or dinner or all three, then to have a Character breakfast at PG will cost a supplement or not on a breakfast, depending on your meal plan, standard, plus or premium. However, if you have the free dining all breakfasts are counter service and don't count towards a PG breakfast booking therefore you will have to use a lunch/dinner voucher and pay a supplement on that depending on its value. At least that's how I understand it.

The character breakfast isn't included in any meal plan and is always an add on. I'm not sure what the add on price is as it may depend on the hotel you're staying in (the standard breakfast costs different amounts depending on the level of your hotel).

If you have a free dining plan you can (as far as I'm aware) use a breakfast voucher in part payment of a character meal but - having trawled back through the terms and conditions - you can't purchase the upgrade until you're on site and then it depends upon availability. It seems they're prioritising those who pay full price for the character meal and those who get a free meal plan and therefore will pay less will have to hope there are still spaces left when they arrive.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne