1st time visitor to DLP; help/tips advice please?

Started by winterybluster, March 27, 2017, 04:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winterybluster

Hi everyone on magicforum.eu!

My family and I are planning to visit Disneyland Paris (DLP) for 1 day, Tuesday 29 August 2017. I've never visited any Disney park before and would like to hear from you guys if you have any useful tips or advice! I also have some questions I hope any of you could answer regarding the trip, as I'm in charge of planning our 1 day Disney itinerary.

Apologies for the wall of text below; I have quite a few questions :)

BACKGROUND:

I'm staying in Paris for a few days with my family [myself F/21, brother M/25, mother F/55, aunt F/50] and we're planning to take the RER train to Marne la Vallee station to visit Disneyland for the day. Since we can only spare 1 day, we are not visiting Walt Disney Studios.

QUESTIONS:

1. What is the weather like in late August at DLP? What attire is advised based on the weather?
2. What will the crowds and queue times be like in late August? I heard Tuesdays and Thursdays are the least busiest days at DLP; is this true?
3. What are DLP's opening hours during the date I am going? I checked last year's records for reference but the end of August is vague; seems like DLP closes either at 23:00 or 21:30, most likely 21:30 for the date I am visiting. Does anyone have clearer info about the correct closing time at DLP? I know it affects the time Disney Illuminations will show.
4. What time does Fantasyland close to prepare for Disney Illuminations/Dreams? A forum answer stated it would be 90 mins prior to the day's show timing? I understand once it is closed, you cannot re-enter that part of the park?
5. For this month (March) schedule, DLP states that Happy Anniversary DLP stage show starts at 12.20, 13.20 and 14.20; Disney Stars on Parade is at 17.30 while Disney Illuminations begins at park close. Does that mean Disney Illuminations begins at 9.30 PM if the park closes at 9.30 PM that day? As for the stage show and parade, will their timings change by the time it is August? And how long do the stage show and parade last?
6. I know WDW veterans often package their belongings separately inside their bags to get through security quickly. Would this tip be helpful when getting through DLP security quickly too?
7. I know about the no selfie sticks rule and the no glass bottles/ certain foods rule. Any other illegal stuff I should remember not to bring?
8. Is it possible to use printed-on-paper e-tickets at DLP Fastpass machines? I know the advice is to fold it into the same size as a normal ticket to feed it into the machine, but wouldn't it get thicker and jam the machine?
9. Assuming the Fastpass time window I'm given is from 11am to 11.30am, is it right for me to say that I can immediately get another FP from 11am onwards even though I haven't actually used the first FP yet?
10. What foods/ snacks in DLP are a MUST-TRY?
11. Are Tsum Tsums sold at DLP? I'm interested in getting those as souvenirs for friends. What is their usual retail price in the parks?
12. What is the best DLP merchandise store to shop at that has almost everything from Star Wars to Disney Princesses to chocolates/candy?
13. I would prefer to shop for souvenirs before 4pm, so would the shops be emptier during typical lunch hours (12-2pm)?
14. I heard that during the period I am visiting DLP, Darth Vader's meet and greet at Tomorrowland will already be operating. Is this accurate and are there any tips on how to meet him with as little wait as possible? Can I ask Photopass photographers to use my phone camera/ digital camera to take the M&G picture?

INTINERARY:

I'm a bit lost as to the trip itinerary I should plan in order to accomplish my priority attractions in 1 day; can anyone advise?

My Priority Attractions (in no particular order):

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (All 4 riding + FP if possible)
2. Hyperspace Mountain (Only 2 riding, Single Rider)
3. Pirates of the Caribbean (All 4 riding)
4. Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (All 4 riding)
5. Darth Vader Meet & Greet (Only 2 riding) *optional
6. La Taniere du Dragon (All 4 riding)
7. Peter Pan's Flight (All 4 riding)
8. Phantom Manor (All 4 riding)
9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril (Only 2 riding) *optional
10. Happy Anniversary Disneyland Paris stage show (All 4 riding) *optional
11. Disney Stars on Parade @ 17.30 (All 4 riding) *slightly optional
12. Disney Illuminations (All 4 riding)
- - -
If you've read this wall of text and/or answer any of my questions, THANK YOU :D I really appreciate it!
Happy 25th Anniversary, Disneyland Paris :D

polar vixen

I can answer some of your questions.....tsum tsums are priced at 5.99 euro each. (It may seem cheeky but they rarely have different ones to the UK disney store so I'd buy your gifts before you go as in the UK they're only 3 pounds each.
Personally I think the best mixed merchandise shop is either world of disney in the village or the 2 really big long ones that run down the left side of main Street.  Although you will find some beautiful souvenirs in Harrington which is on the right side of main Street. 
Illuminations will be on at Park closing -if the parks close at 9.30 then Illuminations will start at 9.30 although I'd recommend getting there a good bit before hand to find  yourself a decent  viewing area.
La taniere du dragon is a walk through attraction so never ever seen it with a queue so you should just be able to include that whenever you're passing.
Cast members have always in the past been happy to take photos for you on your own phone or camera so that really shouldn't be an issue.
The only time shops are really quieter from what I've seen are while the parade and night time show is on but after that they are heaving! 
As far as food and snacks it all depends on personal taste but I would say service is slow so do your best to avoid typical mealtimes - e.g get lunch around 11.30 or 2 and tea around 4.30 or 7...if you decide to go for a buffet....say at plaza gardens where you could fill up well book a table before you go!

claire2281

Right! *cracks knuckles*

1. What is the weather like in late August at DLP? What attire is advised based on the weather?
- Usually warm. Tee shirts and shorts weather.

2. What will the crowds and queue times be like in late August? I heard Tuesdays and Thursdays are the least busiest days at DLP; is this true?
- It'll be busy but not the insanity of Christmas or Halloween. Expect to wait around an hour for the most popular rides.

3. What are DLP's opening hours during the date I am going? I checked last year's records for reference but the end of August is vague; seems like DLP closes either at 23:00 or 21:30, most likely 21:30 for the date I am visiting. Does anyone have clearer info about the correct closing time at DLP? I know it affects the time Disney Illuminations will show.
- They only release park hours about 3 months ahead so they aren't out yet. But it will probably be 21:30 for that week, yes.

4. What time does Fantasyland close to prepare for Disney Illuminations/Dreams? A forum answer stated it would be 90 mins prior to the day's show timing? I understand once it is closed, you cannot re-enter that part of the park?
- It's 90mins ish before. At the moment Fantasyland is closing at 19:15 for a show around 9pm. Yes, you cannot re-enter that part of the park once it closes.

5. For this month (March) schedule, DLP states that Happy Anniversary DLP stage show starts at 12.20, 13.20 and 14.20; Disney Stars on Parade is at 17.30 while Disney Illuminations begins at park close. Does that mean Disney Illuminations begins at 9.30 PM if the park closes at 9.30 PM that day? As for the stage show and parade, will their timings change by the time it is August? And how long do the stage show and parade last?
- Illuminations is at park closing time, yes. The schedule for the others may change to accommodate the longer opening hours but probably won't be by too much. The parade will likely be at about the same time. The shows and parade are about 15mins, Illuminations is about 20ish.

6. I know WDW veterans often package their belongings separately inside their bags to get through security quickly. Would this tip be helpful when getting through DLP security quickly too?
- Probably not. They scan your bags so you don't take anything out unless they spot something on the scanner.

7. I know about the no selfie sticks rule and the no glass bottles/ certain foods rule. Any other illegal stuff I should remember not to bring?
- Large picnics aren't allowed. And you can't dress up as Disney characters.

8. Is it possible to use printed-on-paper e-tickets at DLP Fastpass machines? I know the advice is to fold it into the same size as a normal ticket to feed it into the machine, but wouldn't it get thicker and jam the machine?
- As far as I remember you don't feed your tickets into the machine but scan them instead.

9. Assuming the Fastpass time window I'm given is from 11am to 11.30am, is it right for me to say that I can immediately get another FP from 11am onwards even though I haven't actually used the first FP yet?
- Yes you can get the next fastpass the moment your current one is valid to use.

10. What foods/ snacks in DLP are a MUST-TRY?
- Personally it's the croque monsier in Market Street deli for me but other people will have different ideas!

14. I heard that during the period I am visiting DLP, Darth Vader's meet and greet at Tomorrowland will already be operating. Is this accurate and are there any tips on how to meet him with as little wait as possible? Can I ask Photopass photographers to use my phone camera/ digital camera to take the M&G picture?
- It's already started and from what people have said today it wasn't too busy but who knows how it will pan out. Yes you can ask a cast member to use your camera.

As for your itinerary, the MUST get fastpasses for are BTM and PP. They will both have huge queues. Depending on what time you arrive, the FP also can and do often run out. Prioritise getting them. PP first as it is slow moving. Pirates has huge capacity so often moves quick even when the queue looks big. Phantom Manor shouldn't be an issue. I would leave Indy as an optional because it's good but not worth more than a 20min ish queue imo. Star Tours is a bit of an unknown. Try to FP if you can. The old one had a very sluggish moving queue a lot of the time.

For the parades and shows try to be there about 30mins before they start for a good view.

Hope that helps!

My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

01wdw04

Following on from claire2281's reply, would agree that Indiana Jones is not worth a super long wait, especially as it is a very short ride and will be over before you know it.

Instead, try going later in the evening, when queues are shorter, and it offers great views over the rest of the park.

Tsum-tsums are also sold on the UK Disney store website (and in stores), just fyi, in case you don't manage to get hold of any there:
http://www.disneystore.co.uk/disney-tsum-tsum#source=searchredirect&keyword=tsum tsum

DLP - 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2012 x2, 2013
WDW - 2001, 2004
Tokyo - 20?? (tbc)