Cafe Mickey to lose characters for 25th celebrations

Started by stormflm595, July 27, 2016, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormflm595

Hi all

I've just been on TheDIBB and have come across the below thread stating that DLP is to remove characters from Café Mickey in 2017 for the 25th celebrations due to wanting more characters in the actual parks.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=971671

Apparently Disney announced it on Facebook yesterday (though I am yet to see such a post) and I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this information? I'm treating this as rumour at the moment since I haven't seen anything official yet!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

stormflm595

https://www.facebook.com/disneylandtimes/posts/10157134819590177

Here is the link to the Facebook page which has just been given to me. Apparently, the OP's cousin works there and also confirms. Not sure on how true it is until Disney officially announce it.
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

DisneyDuckLover

This is 100% true.

The character dining will relocate to Plaza Gardens.

Cafe Mickey will close from March 2017.

There are no leaked plans on Plaza yet, but my personal opinion is that it should follow the model used in WDW and be Pooh and friends. Or the Minnie and friends model in DLR, but that would be stepping on Inventions toes a little bit.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram:
@DisneyDuckLover

I visit DLP regularly as a Dreams AP guest, and in the past year have visited HKDL and WDW.

My next long haul trip is Disneyland in California.

I am obsessed with the Disney duck gang!

polar vixen

character dining ay plaza gardens would be amazing!  although i bet the price is increased to reflect that😐unless they only do it for a certain time slot each day

stormflm595

Will CM be closing for good or is it just for a refurb?
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

MattR

Makes sense if you want to meet the characters you have to buy a ticket first.

stormflm595

Quote from: MattR on July 27, 2016, 08:36:50 PM

Sorry but I can't agree with you there.

Local families and tourists in the area (particularly ones with large families) might not be able to afford park tickets. Sure, they can still go to Inventions but that's not cheap. Cafe Mickey is a perfect way to get that bit of Disney magic without breaking the bank.

I get that they want to make Paris a little more consistent but why close such a popular place? Why not just keep CM and add a few characters to PG. Wouldn't this generate more income, seeing as they will be making money from two places as opposed to one?
August 2001 DLP, 3 days

DisneyGagaChick

Will Cafe Mickey be closed permanently or just for refurbishment?

I cannot see them closing CF for permanent- it's constantly busy.

mickey1980

CM is fun with the characters. But the food and setting doesn't really appeal to us.
Without characters i don't see why anyone would want to go there.

I wonder what they will replace it with.. Or why this place making decision has been made.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

MattR

Quote from: stormflm595 on July 27, 2016, 09:17:32 PM

Sorry but I can't agree with you there.

Local families and tourists in the area (particularly ones with large families) might not be able to afford park tickets. Sure, they can still go to Inventions but that's not cheap. Cafe Mickey is a perfect way to get that bit of Disney magic without breaking the bank.

I get that they want to make Paris a little more consistent but why close such a popular place? Why not just keep CM and add a few characters to PG. Wouldn't this generate more income, seeing as they will be making money from two places as opposed to one?

My point of view is that the mouse wants all what is inside the bank account. I am pretty sure they know how many of the visitors of the cafe actually stay onsite or at least have tickets and how much economic surplus there is to absorg compared to what they loose on the other hand.

perrollaz

I was never in there but always enjoyed walking by on my way to the hotel and see the fun going on inside.
It's always crowded and good to have such a lively place at the end of Disney Village.
Hope we are not going to lose that.

A&S&O

Sounds as though there are big changes being brought in to generate more money - AP price increases etc. By what I've read, these changes are going to make visiting more expensive, more exclusive and will put many people off visiting. Whether this will increase profits (less people, but spending more money) remains to be seen.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

bad-pink-tink

THIS I TOTALLY AGREE WITH :)

Just the same as when they removed the characters from the hotels at breakfast. Meeting Characters is such an iconic part of going to a Disney Park. The locals and tourists abused the system so the characters moved inside the park.

I bet there is a similar reason, its possible from feedback that people with a park ticket, ie on the meal plans were finding that  they couldnt get reservations. Disney main priority is to look after its customers, ie people with park tickets, not the random tourists and locals.

So Disney move the character dining INSIDE the park, giving their customers 2 budget options , the high end Princess and mid price Plaza.

It is possible that they then open the Cafe Mickey building to an independent restaurant, thereby increasing revenue.

We cant have it every-way, we cant want things to remain the same with no changes, and then wonder why there is no money for maintenance and upkeep or extra CM's
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

billy

i have to say it would be a real shame to close CM as what we really liked about it is that we could eat there after the park closed which meant we didnt miss out on any park time and we could eat dinner at our normal time rather than at 5pm when most restaurants in winter close.
I've eaten at both CM and Inventions and I loved CM better especially for kids.
But hey ho not a lot we can do about it.

stormflm595

Unfortunately I think MattR hit the nail on the head about Disney wanting to get as much money out of it's customers as possible. It's understandable if they want to survive but it's still a pity.

I also understand why they stopped the meet and greets in the hotels as these were only supposed to be for the paying guests who were staying there but isn't the point of the DV supposed to be a place not only for DLP guests but also for locals to come and relax and do a bit of dining and shopping without paying for park tickets to have a bit of Disney magic thrown in? I just think it's a shame for kids whose families aren't well off enough to be able to afford to take them into the parks for the day as well as feed themselves whilst there, probably because I grew up as one of those!

I love CM and will miss it. I guess Auberge is going to be my character meal for the next trip as I'm not keen on buffets!
August 2001 DLP, 3 days