Short trip report - July 15th-22nd

Started by NCC1701Q, July 23, 2016, 12:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCC1701Q

Just got back from a week at DLP, staying offsite and using our AP's. Here are some short blips about our stay.

There is one word to summarize our stay: H O T !!!! It was very, very hot last week in France, so we adopted the "siesta-approach": visit the parks in the morning till lunch, then go back to the appartment for a siesta and go back around 5 pm for some more magic.

We were surprised by how calm the parks were this week. Maybe due to the weather or the french holidays but that was a pleasant surprise.

We did the Disneyland Park Guided Tour on Sunday, and because I had booked this in advance we did this with a Dutch-speaking guide, Michael. There was just the four of us, no other participants. The tour was great, even our 4 year old son enjoyed himself, especially when he got a Mickey-balloon at the start of the tour. Unfortunately due to the hot weather it literally exploded about halfway the tour, with a very big bang. We walked through Maine Street, even got to go inside the barbers shop (the barber always seems to have a day off when we are in the park), then walked via Agrabah Café to Big Thunder Mountain, past Hakuna Matata to Pirates of the Caribbean and then back via Peter Pan, the Royal Castle and Main Street. At the end of the tour our son received a voucher for a new balloon and our daughter (she's 10) got one too.

We saw the new Mickey and the Magician show for the first time (well, the first and second because we saw it twice during the week) and loved it. The frenglish (or what is it called) did not bother me, but it did take me (obviously) more effort to explain the story to our son. He loved it, especially the Lion King- and Genie-sequence.

On Wednesday we wanted to view the new Pixar-shorts-film-festival and were waiting in the hall before entering the actual cinema-room, when suddenly all lights went on and an automated message urged us to "leave the building immediately for our own security". That was quite a scary moment, as we were actually rushed out of the building by Cast Members but there was no other information than the automated message. Was it just that building or was there something going on in the Disneyland Park? There was some running and pushing and people looked really frightened. Outside, at the turnstiles, a Cast Member told us it was actually a technical problem that caused the evacuation.
Although I feel quite safe in the parks due to the security measures, this did scare me a bit.

We left yesterday after a week of Magic and will be going back in October for Halloween. We did go into the park yesterday morning for a quick stop at World of Disney so we parked at the parking garage at the Village (the Da Vinci-one that recently changed the parking offer from €2,50 for a whole day to €20 for a whole day). We got there at about noon and only the ground floor was filled, all levels above were still very vacant. I wonder whether the new pricing policy is definitive or if they are gonna realize this might cost them more money in the long run.

TLDR: it was very hot!  :D