The wonders a little refurbishment can do!

Started by Mtlchuck, July 13, 2016, 04:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtlchuck

Hi everyone,

I visited the parks this past Sunday. I arrived at around 6 pm (WDS closed at 21h00 and Disneyland Parc at 23h00. They were surprisingly empty! I assume it was due to the eurocup final taking place that evening. I headed first to the WDS. I was quite disappointed to see that there were no more presentations of Mickey and the Magician (which have been reduced to twice a day, I read). I tried Rock n' Roller Coaster (5 minute wait) and I was extremely surprised by the compeltely different experience I had on it. After the refurbishment, all the show building is filled in smoke! You no longer can see anything but lights and lasers piercing through the smoke, it is a fantastic effect! I am glad that they brought this effect back during the rerfurbishment, I hope it stays this way! I did TOT and Ratatouille. Crush's Coaster had just a 30 minute stand-by wait time! However, I didn't feel like waiting, as the single rider line displayed a 15 minute way but was kept closed all afternoon.

I headed to Disneyland Parc and tried Peter Pan's Flight. It displayed a 35 minute waiting time but it was more like 15-20. The chimneys in the loading area also feature smoke once more :D! The ride looks excellent, some projection mapping here and there, and new projection effects on water surfaces that makes it look more realistic. Sadly this is such a short ride, I dont think it hits the minute and a half mark!

I was so happy to see these refurbishments bringing back the former glory of some attractions. I can't wait to see how the Pirates of the Caribbean will look after their scheduled refurb. So far they are in a very meh state. The lightning is too bright so the ceiling is visible. The dueling pirates have been missing for a looong time now, as well as the drunken pirate with the pigs. Some figures were completly static, including the donkey in the barn which had been missing for so long.

Hope to see Alice's Labyrinth getting a refurbishment for the 25th as well- sadly the maze is falling apart :(!

Sugaroo_

Great feedback! Closures can be frustrating, but it's worth it when you can really feel/see the improvements. The last time I went on Rock n' Roller coaster there was no soundtrack, which made an otherwise instense ride extremely dull. Was it back on? I love Aerosmith. Once I get over the initial shock from the launch I manage to sing along  ;) I too hate the fact that you can see the ceiling in POTC, same goes for IASM but that's a defacto bright ride. Pirate's should def be darker.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

Mtlchuck

The soundtrack was indeed on ;).

It's a Small World its abnormally bright in DLP. In both Disneyland and Disney World its quite dark, so you can only see the dolls and the decor... it makes it for a way more magical experience.

Sugaroo_

Yes! Great to hear the soundtrack is back on!

I don't remember that detail about IASM in Orlando, but I was too young to notice anyway. The warehouse type ceiling does kill the magic a bit, especially on a ride like IASM that requires you to look up high & all around, you can't help but notice it.
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

stormflm595

I really hate that you can see the ceiling on IASW :( I was hoping that would be one of the things they'd look at improving during it's extensive refurb. Apparently not. Surely, even hiding it with black material is better than scabby ceiling tiles?
August 2001 DLP, 3 days
September 2013 DLP, 4 nights 5 days, Santa Fe
September 2014 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Santa Fe
March 2015 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days. Sequoia Lodge
September 2017 DLP, 4 nights, 5 days, Newport Bay
November 2018 WDW, 14 nights, 15 days, Caribbean Beach Resort

Mtlchuck

IASW in the states also has all the tiny blinking lights lit year-round. I see that they're installed in all sets in Paris, but they're always off (except for Christmas I guess). I guess the art directors just had something different in mind for this version...

I think that darkening IASW and projection-mapping skies corresponding to each continent would be fantastic! It would be a cartoony sky, but it could represent the Aurora Borealis in the north pole, rainclouds in the rainforest, starry skies in Europe with shooting stars... We can only dream :)

NCC1701Q

Quote from: Mtlchuck on July 13, 2016, 04:34:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Hope to see Alice's Labyrinth getting a refurbishment for the 25th as well- sadly the maze is falling apart :(!

The rocks on the sides of the pathways in the Labyrinth are being painted as we speak, so there will be at least some refurbs, not sure to what extent though.

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: Mtlchuck on July 13, 2016, 04:34:18 PM
I was so happy to see these refurbishments bringing back the former glory of some attractions. I can't wait to see how the Pirates of the Caribbean will look after their scheduled refurb. So far they are in a very meh state. The lightning is too bright so the ceiling is visible. The dueling pirates have been missing for a looong time now, as well as the drunken pirate with the pigs. Some figures were completly static, including the donkey in the barn which had been missing for so long.

I am so happy that I am not the only person to notice this!!!

How long have those dueling pirates been missing?
And I also noticed the drunk pirate on the barrels was not moving.