Alligator Tragedy

Started by loupenny, June 17, 2016, 12:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupenny

I'm sure many people have heard about the little boy and the alligator in WDW. I wondered what people thought, should Disney have done more? I know we've been to that exact location and we never even gave a thought to alligators, after all nothing bad could possibly happen in the bubble!

My other half thinks that it was obvious that any body of water in Florida will contain alligators but I'm not sure I would give it a second thought!

In the past - Disneyland Hotel, New York, New Port Bay (DLP) Caribbean Beach (WDW) and AP holder at Tokyo Disney.
Recent Years - Kyriad - 2011
Santa Fe - 2015
Dream Castle, B&B hotel, Air BnBs - 2017

billy

i was so upset when i read about it in the paper. Imagine having an incredible unforgettable magical visit and it ends in tradegy.
i'm surprised that the lake is not sealed off seeing as how there have been other sightings of alligators in the same. or at least some sort of sign warning people but i suppose you think you are in Disney its magical and all surreal so you are safe.
Its so sad what a tragic ending to a holiday.
Disney definitely need to do something now about the lake, i would suggest that as in Paris the lake is for looking at only and not for going into!

daddyof2

The weird thing is, despite having seen TV programmes over the years about the Everglades and gators, also having read about Gatorland recently, I'd not considered there might be alligators on Disney property. Disney know there are alligators, but have they done everything they reasonably could to ensure people's safety? I know there's no swimming in the lakes but does anyone get specific warnings about alligators?

loupenny

It wasn't something I even thought about when we were there. But I know that I would have read 'no swimming' and thought it was because of deep water or the boats and that paddling was probably fine. If it had said 'alligators in water' I'd have been out of there like a greased pig!
In the past - Disneyland Hotel, New York, New Port Bay (DLP) Caribbean Beach (WDW) and AP holder at Tokyo Disney.
Recent Years - Kyriad - 2011
Santa Fe - 2015
Dream Castle, B&B hotel, Air BnBs - 2017