Why age 1 exactly?

Started by disneymagic006, May 20, 2016, 02:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

disneymagic006

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows why Disney has a policy stating children have to be age 1 to go on the rides? Even the really gentle ones like the storybook boats.

I remember getting asked my son's age a lot last year and everything was fine as he was 17 months. We are looking at booking soon for next year and new baby could be just under a year (due any day now).

Should we delay until later in 2017?
Has anyone been with a baby and was it restrictive in terms of what they could do?

Thanks
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

polar vixen

we've manY times taken a baby under 1 and it's tge first time I've heard this. ....there were some rides even gentle ones wr Couldn't do because it was required that tge child sits on the seat and it's was still to little to 'sit' but never heard the 1 wands over rule before. ....

disneymagic006

Hi Thanks that's surprising as they were really strict about it with us, even on the teacups the cast member was about to start the ride but stopped in his tracks and another cast member made a beeline for us to ask his age! On Peter Pan there was a cast member asking us to get off though he was 17 months. The supervisor got involved and eventually let us ride.

I think the answer is that we should probably hang on till the July/August dates so there's definitely no problem. It would spoil it for us if we couldn't go on the rides all together.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

littlebitofpixiedust

I was asked many times on our first visits son was 13 months but looked a lot younger as he was premature, I just confirmed his age and it was ok not sure how strict they are I'm thinking of having another baby but I couldn't stay away for an entire year  :o I'd miss DLP way too much as I'm sure my son would also! I guess the only way round it would be to take turns with your eldest or wait until 12 months

Zee79

I think it depends on which cast member it is. We've only been stopped once in all the years we have been going, my twin nieces were not allowed on Aladdin when they were 10 months old yet I had taken my daughter on it when she was  only 9 months only. They went on a lot of other rides aged 10 months and they were small for their age due to being 10 weeks prem. I never knew there was an age limit.

Sugaroo_

Hello everyone! I was about to create a new topic but I figured I'd post my question here to save space as it's a bit relevant to the original topic. Our January trip is drawing near and I'm super excited as we will be going with our 15 month old daughter for the first time. I think I've pretty much figured everything out, I have looked up all the rides she can go on (theoretically - we'll have to see how she reacts on the first few) but what I can't figure out is how she will be seated on the rides.

At 15 months I imagine she won't be seated on my lap, correct? So if she is seated next to me or between her father and I are the security bars enough to keep her securely seated? Or would I have to hold on to her as well? At 15 months I can't be 100% confident she'll sit still or hold on so that's my main concern. I'm asking because I'm not familiar with most of the kiddy rides like Slinky dog, Flying carpets, Cars, Dumbo etc On our adult only trips we've only been on the dark rides in Fanatsyland. Feedback from other parents who have taken a child at that age would be greatly appreciated!
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

robtogg

We took our daughter at 15 months and had no problems, she had to sit next to us (either one or both of us depending on the ride) but I always felt she was secure during the rides.

Hope this helps

disneymagic006

Hi they have to be under the lap bar if there is one and use the seat belt if there is one. Usually they request that they are sat down next to you and some rides particularly enforce this eg cars race rally (which is surprisingly quick). Others they are happy to let them sit on your lap e.g pirates, tea cups.

My son was 17months when we last went and let him ride on laps where possible - he's a wriggler! But he was also fine sitting and us next to him too. Only time we struggled was on slinky dog as he was jumping up lots. Lap bar wasn't very effective. We got told off!

We are going for the 25th and have decided upon July. My littlest will be 14months so a similar age to yours. Do let us know how you get on.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2015 - Cheyenne

Sugaroo_

Quote from: disneymagic006 on December 13, 2016, 12:13:42 PM
Only time we struggled was on slinky dog as he was jumping up lots. Lap bar wasn't very effective. We got told off!

Hahaha I can totally see this happening to us too!

Thanks disneymagic006 & robtogg for the feedback!
"Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret...all the best people are."

TJBezz

we never got asked about DS's age and he was 18months at the time

2bigkids2weekids

Hi sugaroo, my son was 18 months when we went in December. Any ride that he could go on, he did go on. He sat beside us most of the time, we just held on tight to him in case he wriggled but he was busy looking around him. I found that there was so much going on in the rides that his attention was occupied well enough for him to sit still in awe. If the bar came over us  it  was not tight to him as it also had my big legs to sit on! But with me holding him he was fine and safe. He sat beside either me or my husband on: Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan's Flight, Dumbo, tea cups, Casey Jr, the mini boat cruise, Its a Small World (he actually stood in between us for a lot of his one with us holding on for dear life and him dancing and shouting, he loved it), Buzz Lightyear, Orbitron, Flying Carpets, Slinky Dog (he LOVED it!) and Ratatouille. He also sat on my knee for Pinocchio's Journey and with me in the carriage on the carousel. My husband and I just swapped between him and my daughter (age 4) on each ride to keep it varied for him. If your little one is walking, the Labyrinth is great to stretch their legs, take a walking harness if you need but let them run about when they can, helps them settle better in the buggy at other times when needed. Have a great time!
Hotel New York - December 2016
Booked for Santa Fe - December 2017

naisworld

When my son was 10 months  (he was very big for his age) we took him on loads of rides and we're never asked his age. Ones I can remember were Ratatouille, cars ride, autopia, buzz, pirates and most of the rides in fantasy land! X

Sugaroo_

Thanks so much for the feedback. Very encouraging! Only 2 days to go  ;D I'm super excited, I hope she enjoys it too!