Lousy, lousy food in DLRP :(

Started by Mtlchuck, April 20, 2016, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtlchuck

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the ranty nature of my post, but Ive got to let this out: I have never had a good food experience at DLRP.

I've tried several restaurants and I've always felt I overpaid for bland microwaved food. I am lactose intolerant which reduces my options quite a bit, but nonetheless I feel what I am allowed to eat to be very sub-standard for the price.

I've eaten twice at Fuente del Oro: both times my food was cold and I had to ask for them to reheat it.
At Pizzeria Bella Notte, I can only have the carbonara pasta, which means paying 9 euros for pasta and Hunt's tomato sauce.
At the Chalet de la Marionette I have had the roasted chicken. Small and greasy. The Apfelstrudel was good though.
At Casey's Corner, the only option for hotdogs is either plain or covered in cheese. No diced onions, tomatos or relish are offered as toppings.
A month ago I ate with my cousins at the Blue Lagoon Restaurant, which is supposed to be a high-end restaurant. My cousin's food was cold and had to be re-heated, and I ordered the plate with the shrimp and fish- all bland and chewy intead of fresh.

I really feel that the only decent food options are the Earl of Sandwich and McDonalds at the village. I have checked the reviews for other high-end restaurants such as Auberge de Cendrillon and many reviewers state that their food was also very sub-par. And I am not being a snob, I am the one to be happy with a shawarma or kebab from a street booth!

Also, once I bought pocorn and they had honestly dipped each piece in a kilo of salt. It was unedible.

Any thoughts and experiences? I think consumer satisfaction would significatively increase by offering good food- at least something relative to what they charge for!

15stitch

I think you have been incredibly unlucky to be honest!

I think I've only ever had one bad meal in DLP (Bistrot Chez Remy), but I'm trying in again in 2 weeks as I think I was unlucky and it was a one off (as others rave about it!).

Have you tried any of the buffets?   Or restaurants in the village?  Planet Hollywood, King Ludwigs and Rainforest Café are always a good option.
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

daddyof2

You can only speak from your own experiences, but I've enjoyed food at Hakuna Matata, Café Mickey, Chez Remy, Walts, to name  a few. However, I didn't think that much to Plaza Gardens which many people rate highly

NCC1701Q

I guess that with the sheer volume of customers (at least in the counter restaurants) there is inevitably a risk of not sufficiently heated food.
I personally have only had a "lesser" experience at Colonel Hathi's Outpost where the pasta was frozen (I suspect they just forgot to heat it).

We had great experiences with eating at Plaza Gardens, Fuento del Ore, Buzz Lightyears Pizza Planet and Hakuna Matata.

I guess taste and enjoyment at a restaurant is very personal and therefor there will always be a wide variation in appreciation of the food served at DLP.

seraphelle

I would sincerely recommend the food at King Ludwigs, Rainforest Café, even Annette's Diner (although I think the previous two are better value).

The food at Auberge is very hit and miss but not in terms of quality, but rather I've found it a matter of personal taste as it is very traditional French food. This is fine for me, but with two fussy kids and an even fussier husband, they do tend to stuff their faces before and after and just pick at bits whilst in there. It is mad considering the price to eat there but in all honesty you're paying for the character interaction rather than the food so its a one of those you just have to take on the chin.

If we could afford it we would eat in Inventions every night. Love the food in there and there is plenty for everyone no matter how fussy and I've always found it to be of very good quality. I actually know someone that worked in the kitchens at Inventions who now works for Disney Cruises, and they said it was the only restaurant on site where the majority of food was bought in fresh and chefs were allowed to be 'creative' rather than just heating food up and slapping it on plates.

The other place I love is Earl of Sandwich but I am fairly obsessed with their mozzarella sandwiches  ;D

Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

twentythingamabobs

Ah  I feel sorry for you  :( The only time I've ever had a bad food experience at DLP was at a little cart/van/hut type thing in the little courtyard near ToT (it was about 4 years ago, don't even know if it's still there!) where all they sold were these really hard and tasteless sausages in a hard baguette! I've loved everywhere else, especially Inventions yum yum. LOVE the hawaiian sandwich at Earl of Sandwich, it is so, so good!

Ohana

We didn't really have any bad experiences with food actually, apart from the service in au chalet was appalling, and I usually try to see the best in service situations.

I did find the food in Walt's wasn't worth how much it cost, however Tom really did, so i think it was just my own fussiness coming into play there, haha. The portion sizes were huge too!

Also they do have hotdogs with just onion at Caseys I'm sure of it?
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

stifle

I see you mentioned only counter service restaurants in your list. My experience with food at table service and buffet places has always been great; yes they're that bit pricier but you do get what you pay for.

billy

i can honestly say i was a bit sceptical regarding the food when we went this year as the reviews were all really mixed but with most people slagging off the kids choices and the service, the last time we went we only ate at hunters and inventions so nothing to compare it to. this time we were really happily surprised first night we ate in Chez Reme and even though people complained re the choices and food we found it to be great and my girls loved it. next night was hunters grill and that was so good we went back again. we then ate in Annettes and the only complaint could be there was too much choice, they let us swap desserts for coffee or tea and the portions were huge. last night was cafe mickey and i know a lot of people really slate this restaurant but it was my favourite of the week, the service was excellent as was the food and the presentation. Unfortunately our last meal in dlp was a disaster planet hollywood, the food was tasteless, the service non existent spoke to like children by the managers and our first waiter disappearing after he realised he given us the wrong information, the whole thing was just awful, but maybe that is becuase it is a chain restaurant who knows. if i get to go to dlp again id love to try the lucky nugget it looked fab! but all in all for a theme park the food was great!

Puffin

I agree that Casey's Corner hot dogs are far from the best hot dogs I've ever eaten. But all in all, I enjoyed some good meals in Disneyland. You just need to be prepared to pay more than you would in any other restaurant outside the resort. So maybe that's part of your disappointment. For the price you pay in a restaurant in Disneyland you will probably have a more decent meal anywhere else. But I guess that's true for every high level tourist area.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

seraphelle

What I would say to those not keen on the offerings at the parks or village, its Val d'Europe is easily walkable or there are really regular buses to there, or its about 8euros in a cab. There are SO MANY excellent restaurants there at a fraction of the cost with amazing food.
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Mtlchuck

I think I have been unlucky indeed. I went last summer to Disneyland in Anaheim and althought it was still "theme park food", I found it to be good.

I just think that so much more could be done. A couple of years ago I went to Spain and vendors on the street were selling a large container of fresh diced food (not at all the del Monte confited one) for 2 euros a unit. In Germany, walking vendors sell you delicious freshly grilled sausages and beef. Crepes could be sold freshly made... I just find its a pity how anglosaxon the approach to food is, with most things frozen and processed. If Chipotle can make a profit with healthier food, why cant Disney Parks follow? I honestly feel sick to see what "Pizza" looks like in Disney Parks.

As a wishful thinking, I really hope DLP receives Turkey Legs and Dole Whips.... Do they even have Churros and Mickey Mouse Pretzels? I dont reckon those being sold either? (I am aware these are not healthy choices, but boy they are delicious!

Zee79

A lot of the  snacks were sold, not necessarily the ones you mentioned, in the early years, probably til about 2000 & they were fab, I loved them.

daddyof2

Churros are available at Fuente Del Oro. We don't need turkey legs at DLP, they can stay at WDW

nathalie

Agree on those legs.  I feel that's a typical US thing.
And you're still in France in the end.

I feel food is "the same" at basically every amusement park.
I've yet to come across an amusement park, or a zoo, that serves "perfectly" good food, and warm at all times.