What will they do with Discoveryland Theatre in time for the 25th?

Started by MickeyAteMyCap, March 21, 2016, 10:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyAteMyCap

It would look stupid if they keep it as only showing sneak peeks whilst everything else is refurbished and/or updated. I think they should either replace the sneak peaks with a new 4D show or turn it from a 4D cinema into a theatre with the introduction of a new stage show.

If they make a new 4D film, how about a Pirates of the Caribbean one? That would lend itself nicely to the 4D experience, especially if they managed to get Johnny Depp involved.

DLPWonders (Banned)

And POTC fits in with Discoveryland how?
We have Adventureland for that ;)
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: DLRPWonders on March 21, 2016, 01:14:45 PM
And POTC fits in with Discoveryland how?
We have Adventureland for that ;)
I don't think theming is that big an issue considering Flying Carpets Over Agrabah is in Walt Disney Studios alongside Pixar and movie-based attractions.

If they wanted to stick religiously to themes, they could have a 4D film based on Treasure Planet instead.

mickey1980

It's embarrassing that they show a preview of a movie released on DVD/Blu-ray more than 4 months ago.
Really below Disney standards and it would be better to save face and just close the place down.

Also 3D movies (there is no such thing as 4D) are a thing of the past. So i'm hoping they will demolish the theatre and that disgusting Pizza tent thing  ;D, to make place for something more modern and Disneyland worthy.

Look at al that space that would come available for building a Star Wars land, Journey to the Centre of the Earth or stage theatre. Although i'd rather see a new theatre emerging in Fantasyland.

Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Rocketeer

Having Star Wars Land there makes the best sense, especially as they can incorporate StarTours into it.

Somehow I doubt they'd do anything with the area for the 25th, let alone start work on any new land.

However, trying to look on the positive side, what about a film showcasing the 'Disneyland Paris Story' or something like that, showing the highlights of the last quarter of a decade for the 'Happiest Place in Europe'.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mickey1980 on March 21, 2016, 07:52:42 PM

Also 3D movies (there is no such thing as 4D) are a thing of the past. So i'm hoping they will demolish the theatre and that disgusting Pizza tent thing  ;D, to make place for something more modern and Disneyland worthy.
4D definitely exists.

3D is a film with effects that allow the image to pop out at you. 4D is a 3D film combined with real effects such as wind, water, moving chairs...

And for the record, a lot of us like the 4D experience and enjoy going to 4D cinemas at theme parks. It would be much easier for them to just show a new 4D film there than to demolish it, especially when other Disneyland parks have 4D films such as Philharmagic and It's Tough To Be A Bug. I haven't seen them in person but judging by YouTube videos they look pretty good and It's Tough To Be A Bug would work well considering the Discoveryland Theatre's previous showing of Honey I Shrunk The Audience.

QuoteLook at al that space that would come available for building a Star Wars land, Journey to the Centre of the Earth or stage theatre. Although i'd rather see a new theatre emerging in Fantasyland.
Journey To The Centre of the Earth would be a pointless addition IMO and does there really have to be a whole land dedicated to Star Wars considering it's not a Walt Disney Classic? I'd rather the parks stuck strictly to Disney and Pixar than incorporate lands for the franchises they have bought since.

Yes, have the characters wander around. Yes, have the odd ride and show here and there as there is at the moment for Indiana Jones and Star Wars. But not a whole land.

Rocketeer

But Star Wars, and Marvel, have the potential to attract more visitors to the resort, which is after all what is needed.

Even more so if they added the Frozen Boat Ride (EPCOT/Tokyo DisneySea) to Fantasyland.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on March 21, 2016, 08:49:51 PM
But Star Wars, and Marvel, have the potential to attract more visitors to the resort, which is after all what is needed.

Even more so if they added the Frozen Boat Ride (EPCOT/Tokyo DisneySea) to Fantasyland.
But they're only Disney in technicality because they own those franchises. I think if they add lands based on Star Wars and Marvel, they should charge separately for them and not remove already existing attractions to build them.

Discoveryland Theatre has to either stay as a 4D cinema or as a previous poster suggested turned into a stage theatre.

mickey1980

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on March 21, 2016, 08:24:03 PM

I like Captain EO, HISTA, Philharmagic and It's Tough To Be A Bug... But these kind of movies are outdated. And it's difficult to market something that people have already seen.
But Star Wars is immensely popular and a Disney franchise. With countless possibilities for land and ride design.

Also, Disneyland is not build around Disney Classics. Actually only Fantasyland is build around the Classic Disney movies. So your argument that Star Wars shouldn't deserve a "land" because it's not a Disney Classic is false.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

rebecca20

I don't think Star Wars deserves a whole 'land' that seems too niche for a main disney park. I do think more needs to be incorporated. I personally think a meet and greet would be perfect once Star Tours opens.

Pizza Planet could also be changed into a Star Wars themed restaurant meaning Cafe Hyperion can be free-ed up for something different, as it's always empty when I visit.

Doubt any of this will happen in the next 10 years never mind in less than a year!
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

polar vixen

a little star wArs sub plot mini movie would fit well though maybe with just one star wars a character in 4ď. that would be cool abd would appeal to alot if grown ups and kids

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mickey1980 on March 21, 2016, 09:12:15 PM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on March 21, 2016, 08:24:03 PM

I like Captain EO, HISTA, Philharmagic and It's Tough To Be A Bug... But these kind of movies are outdated.
Says who?

Captain EO maybe but there's still plenty who would go see Honey I Shrunk The Audience, Philharmagic and It's Tough To Be A Bug, especially the latter two considering Philharmagic from a YouTube video seems to be similar to the stage shows they have had over the years and still have now with Forest of Enchantment (incorporating various songs and characters) and It's Tough To Be A Bug is based on a Pixar movie many still hold in high regard.

QuoteBut Star Wars is immensely popular and a Disney franchise.
Only through technicality. It's still more of a Lucasfilm franchise, Disney just bought them.
QuoteWith countless possibilities for land and ride design.
Regardless of popular belief, not everybody likes Star Wars though. And you go to a place like Disneyland for the Walt Disney Classics.

QuoteAlso, Disneyland is not build around Disney Classics.
It's the primary theme of a theme park.
QuoteActually only Fantasyland is build around the Classic Disney movies. So your argument that Star Wars shouldn't deserve a "land" because it's not a Disney Classic is false.
Except it's not because most go to Disneyland for Disney Classics and Pixar. If they offer a Star Wars Land, it should at least be as an optional extra rather than being included in the price so those of us who don't like Star Wars aren't paying for somewhere we're not going to go.

Rocketeer

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on March 21, 2016, 10:46:18 PM
Except it's not because most go to Disneyland for Disney Classics and Pixar. If they offer a Star Wars Land, it should at least be as an optional extra rather than being included in the price so those of us who don't like Star Wars aren't paying for somewhere we're not going to go.
Frozen is not really a classic yet. OK, it might be an 'instant classic' but still, its really only riding on its recent popularity. But how many kids will pester their parents to go to WDW when the advert for 'Frozen Ever After' inevitably is broadcast in Europe? The exact same will apply once they start promoting Star Wars Land(s). Whereas Paris (for now) is left without.

Whilst the new acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilm are not traditional Disney Classics, they are part of the family now, just as Pixar is. The Lamp may have always been associated with the Mouse (and nearly came close to leaving) but it was another IP purchase just like the other two. That is the cold business side of things, but thankfully on the creative side we have been given many great films from all.

Admittedly having a more Star Wars in Discoveryland isn't that great, as it further dilutes the Jules Verne theme, but if it attracts more visitors that enables the resort to earn more money to be able to pay off the remaining debt and ultimately invest further into the resort (such as improving WDS) then I'm all for it.

Again, as for what they can do with the current theatre, well there's not a lot they can do in time for the 25th - other than put another film in.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Rocketeer on March 22, 2016, 11:02:05 AM
Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on March 21, 2016, 10:46:18 PM
If they offer a Star Wars Land, it should at least be as an optional extra rather than being included in the price so those of us who don't like Star Wars aren't paying for somewhere we're not going to go.
Frozen is not really a classic yet. OK, it might be an 'instant classic' but still, its really only riding on its recent popularity. But how many kids will pester their parents to go to WDW when the advert for 'Frozen Ever After' inevitably is broadcast in Europe? The exact same will apply once they start promoting Star Wars Land. Whereas Paris is left (for now) without.

Whilst the new acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilm are not traditional Disney Classics, they are part of the family now, just as Pixar is.

Admittedly having a more Star Wars in Discoveryland isn't that great, as it further dilutes the Jules Verne theme, if it attracts more visitors that enables the resort to earn more money to be able to pay off the remaining debt and ultimately invest further into the resort (such as improving WDS) then I'm all for it.

Again, as for what they can do with the current theatre, well there's not a lot they can do in time for the 25th - other than put another film in.
I really hope they don't turn Discoveryland into Star Wars Land. If they really had to, I don't see why they couldn't do it akin to Walt Disney Studios where you don't have to pay for that section of the park but you can in an all-inclusive park ticket. And although I do like Marvel, it would be the fairest way to deal with a Marvel Land also.

I hope they do put another 4D film in Discoveryland in time for the 25th. Maybe even do something unique to DLP like show an entire already-existing hour and a half film in 4D?

mickey1980

You don't like Star Wars. We get it ;D

Quote from: MickeyAteMyCap on March 22, 2016, 11:11:59 AM
I hope they do put another 4D film in Discoveryland in time for the 25th. Maybe even do something unique to DLP like show an entire already-existing hour and a half film in 4D?

Showing an 90 minute movie in a theme park? Really?!
Is that how you think visitors would want to spend their precious time in Disneyland?  :o
And how about capacity? Showing full length movies would be a capacity drama.

I don't think this is ever going to be an option. DLP needs a new capacity monster if they want to attract more visitors. Currently they are only renovating what they have. Not adding to capacity. A new theatre or land adds to capacity allowing more people to visit the park without the 120 minute queues on busy days.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018