Can you share any of your experiences using the tgv train from Charles de Gaulle

Started by simbamad, February 20, 2016, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simbamad

As the title says really, Ive booked the tgv train from CDG airport leaving 2 hours between landing and the train time, will this be enough time etc.

I would love to read some of your experiences

Komble

I didn't use the TGV, I used the magical shuttle.

It did not take us long at all to get from the plane, through security and to the bus - although this may be different if you have more than just hand luggage & if you also have children in tow!

I would assume you'd be okay, though! I think I remember reading once that people like to allow at least an hour between landing and the train departure time...

SwipatronSparks

we always take the TGV its really easy and 2 hours should be more than enough time to get through passport crontrol and the like (i went through during the xmas period just gone when i went to DLP for NYE... and got through with a good hour to spare) are you flying into terminal 2? if not it should still be plenty of time for you to get there but i cant comment on getting from one terminal to another as i havnt done that before =]
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

caspdex

Why would you want to hang around CDG when a private shuttle will meet you has exit customs, take you to the car and be on your way direct to your hotel reception. Last Christmas we met our driver at 10.20am, entered DLH dead on 11.am.

disneymagic006

We got the tgv with no problems. Left an hour between flight landing and train departure time. Got a bit nervy as plane was delayed 20mins. When we got to Charles design galle we were at terminal 3 and had to get to terminal 2, there were signs for a little tram that takes you between terminals.  They are pretty frequent. We still had time to spare for a sit down and a drink before our train came.

Having done both train and the magic shuttle bus we much preferred the train option. Approx 10 minutes, 1-2 stops instead of 45mins and going round all the hotels for drop offs.
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

stifle

I like the TGV, though if you have to go between terminals or if you pick up delays due to flight problems/French immigration/a strike it can be a bit tiresome. I don't like being in a stuffy car in Parisian traffic for an hour, much prefer being able to walk about on the short train ride and take in the fresh air on my way from the station to my hotel. It's way, way cheaper than a private transfer as I tend to be either alone or with just my wife, and I am not at all a fan of the Magic Shuttle which generally gets full of screaming kids.

Karen101

I think all transportations have their up and downs you just have to decide what's best for you.

The TGV didn't work for is as we had two long between the flight and the train and we personally don't want to sit around the airport for a couple of hours again.

I've never done a private transfer so I can't say about that.

As for the Magic Shuttle, for us we enjoy it ... It's part of the magic :) I must have been lucky because other than happy excited sounding kids I've never experienced screaming ones :) the again my 6 year old is happy and excited to so is likely adding to then happy chatter noise.  I enjoy seeing the hotels as well as the drop offs are done and since I haven't told my DH my DD and my mother which hotel we will be staying in it will be part of the magic.  Infact my mother and DD won't know they are going until the day we go hehe

simbamad

Quote from: caspdex on February 20, 2016, 05:38:14 PM
Why would you want to hang around CDG when a private shuttle will meet you has exit customs, take you to the car and be on your way direct to your hotel reception. Last Christmas we met our driver at 10.20am, entered DLH dead on 11.am.

Because the express bus was too expensive for us !!

simbamad

Quote from: SwipatronSparks on February 20, 2016, 04:23:07 PM
we always take the TGV its really easy and 2 hours should be more than enough time to get through passport crontrol and the like (i went through during the xmas period just gone when i went to DLP for NYE... and got through with a good hour to spare) are you flying into terminal 2? if not it should still be plenty of time for you to get there but i cant comment on getting from one terminal to another as i havnt done that before =]

Were flying from Birmingham with flybe, Ive checked the CDG website and I believe we fly into terminal 2. Can I just ask if its easy enough to find the train station and the right platform when leaving the station as I'm really worried about this part of the journey.

caspdex

Quote from: simbamad on February 21, 2016, 09:38:52 PM
Quote from: caspdex on February 20, 2016, 05:38:14 PM

Because the express bus was too expensive for us !!
Take RS Transports then, cheapest option of them al, and delivered to your hotel.

caspdex

Should also point out that for three or more passengers , a private shuttle is usually the cheapest option.

simbamad

Quote from: caspdex on February 21, 2016, 10:18:45 PM
Should also point out that for three or more passengers , a private shuttle is usually the cheapest option.
If there had been more of us then I would have done that but theres only 2 of us

stifle

Quote from: simbamad on February 21, 2016, 09:41:34 PM

Were flying from Birmingham with flybe, Ive checked the CDG website and I believe we fly into terminal 2. Can I just ask if its easy enough to find the train station and the right platform when leaving the station as I'm really worried about this part of the journey.

You're in luck — FlyMayBe flies to Terminal 2E at CDG, the nearest terminal to the TGV station.

It's signposted throughout the airport and easily walkable, maybe 6-8 minutes, and the train journey takes 9 minutes.

Do allow some time after your arrival in case of delays to your flight or at French immigration. The SNCF recommends allowing 60-80 minutes after your flight arrival time. You can always exchange into an earlier train if you are ahead of schedule using the dedicated purple "immediate travel" machines (or the standard yellow ones).

If you are not booking ahead of time, don't forget to buy your return tickets as well at the airport.

A private transfer is throwing money away for only 2 guests. Though if you're staying at the DLH like caspdex, you can probably afford it :)

simbamad

Quote from: stifle on February 22, 2016, 08:23:56 AM

You're in luck — FlyMayBe flies to Terminal 2E at CDG, the nearest terminal to the TGV station.

It's signposted throughout the airport and easily walkable, maybe 6-8 minutes, and the train journey takes 9 minutes.

Do allow some time after your arrival in case of delays to your flight or at French immigration. The SNCF recommends allowing 60-80 minutes after your flight arrival time. You can always exchange into an earlier train if you are ahead of schedule using the dedicated purple "immediate travel" machines (or the standard yellow ones).

If you are not booking ahead of time, don't forget to buy your return tickets as well at the airport.

A private transfer is throwing money away for only 2 guests. Though if you're staying at the DLH like caspdex, you can probably afford it :)

Thank you, you're a life saver, with regards to allowing time to get through security I have left 2 hours between landing and my train time so I'm hoping that will  be enough and have bought the flexible ticket so if we get through quicker when I think we can get on an earlier train

caspdex

Quote from: stifle on February 22, 2016, 08:23:56 AM

What I can't afford is to pay in advance and miss the train. For your information we paid for our one and only stay in the DLH in 24 years from compensation for a car accident when we were rear ended by a white van.