How do you choose?

Started by 15stitch, January 22, 2016, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15stitch

I'm hoping to go back to Disneyland Paris this year with my 3 year old and I literally can't decide anything at the moment.  I was just wondering how people decide: -

- which hotel to stay in (other than the obvious cost considerations).  (I'm currently torn between Newport Bay, Hotel New York and Sequoia Lodge)
- when to go (I'm currently thinking May on the thinking that the weather will hopefully be nice and it won't be too busy)
- whether to get a meal plan or not and then which of the many restaurants to eat in!
etc etc

Is anyone else as indecisiveness as me?  And how do you choose when it is all so fabulous!
1995 WDW (offsite)
1998 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
2001 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2002 DLP (Hotel New York)
2003 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2004 WDW (offsite)
2005 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2006 WDW (Grand Floridian)
2007 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2008 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
2011 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)
2015 DLP (Hotel Hew York)
May 2016 DLP (Newport Bay Club)
December 2016 DLP (Sequoia Lodge)
April 2017 WDW (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
June 2019 DLP (Hotel Cheyenne)

Sulley15

We were torn by price but I think it depends what you want out of it. First time we stayed at the New York hotel and it was amazing we woke up to breakfast and had characters in the foyer. I understand this changed but you could understand when the area was swapped with people.

Last year we stayed at Cheyenne yes it was cheaper but had what we want, the theming was good as my daughter was really into jessy from toy story... Bunk beds was a get addition, not sure how they are going to cope when 2 have to share a bed

Next year we are staying in Newport bay, we upgraded to the compass room for the little perks and separate lounge....
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

haribosmum

There is so much choice and it can get overwhelming.  A lot of it does come down to cost and also what you'll make the most of. 

I've stayed in all 3 hotels you're considering.  The biggest difference to me is the breakfast, my hubby wants a big cooked breakfast so we have been at the New York the last few years.  He then eats enough to go without lunch, but that doesn't work for me and my daughter so we'd be happy in any of them.  Location - all 3 are around the lake and not an awful lot in distance.    Theming, again not sure a 3 yr old really notices too much so depends on you.  In some hotels the bed layout is a factor i.e Cheyenne popular for families as only one with bunk beds.

Go out of holiday time while you can with a 3 yr old!  we loved May, went for my birthday 2nd May and the weather was mild (still needed coats in the evening) but we loved the park being open till 10pm and even though DD was only 4 she stayed up too. 

Meal plan - I have and I haven't.  This year we decided against it as wasn't sure we'll get our moneys worth and taking a 22mth old not convinced sitting down for meals is going to always work.  Normally I know exactly where I'm going each night and pretty much during day too so will be a change for me as I expect we'l mostly use counter service and places in the village (we have Inventions and Planet Hollywood booked).  The meal vouchers do give a saving but I don't think it's enough to make it a must have.  we found we were hungry in the day so still spent money and then went out for meals that we didn't really need.

I think have a look at the different prices for different days (have you got the calendar that shows peak days etc as you could pick the value days knowing it should be quieter) and now we have the added confusion of all the different countries offers as can book them through a crossover deal. 

Mostly, just enjoy planning! 
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

DLPWonders (Banned)

Choices are very easy for me, I don't choose.
I've been an annual passport holder for over 7 years now.
I always stay off-site in the cheapest hotels (I only need a bed and shower).
And I visit 7-10 times a year, so I always experience every season and all the special celebrations.
Hooray for annual passports!
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

15stitch

Thank you all.

I went in March last year and we were really lucky with the weather.   I guess it can rain at any time of the year though. 

I did the meal plan last year, but ended up having to buy my son a meal (as he didn't get a voucher then due to his age) and I didn't feel I saved much.  Plus I love Rainforest and Planet Hollywood and they aren't covered by it.

I've stayed at Hotel New York many times and have always loved it.   I'm just debating a change this year.  Knowing me I will spend ages trying to decide and will then go back to Hotel New York  :)

1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

haribosmum

I haven't even been for this years trip and am thinking about the next.  I like the sound of the compass rooms so might wander down to Newport Bay when I'm there in Feb and see how it feels :-)
Santa 11/00
Newport Bay 10/03
Sequoia 3/09
Disneyland 2/11
Disneyland 5/12
New York 2/13
New York 2/14
Disneyland 2/16
Sequoia Lodge GF 8/17
New York ESC 2/18
Newport Bay CC 4/19
Disneyland 2/20

polar vixen

depending how long you're gOing for. ...the nexT offer to Cone is usually tge 35%of plus free dining plan.  wr alloWs found this tge most cost effective for us and as your only   considering upper tier hotels you'd be fairly free to choose to dine wherever you like.  we just stayed at the Newport bay and everything wad lovelY and fresh.  kids loved the room and pool. couldn't recommend it enOugh.  I think may is a brilliant time to go.  check dates and make sure you're there for the New forest of enchantment show!

15stitch

I was looking to go for 4 nights/ 5 days so at the moment would get the 2 days free offer. 

I've found in the past that all the offers end up making it a similar price though. 
1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)

Sulley15

We normally get 2 rooms which which is expensive, so it worked out cheaper to get the Newport bay family room then 2 rooms at Cheyenne. We also did the 2 nights and 2 days free, last time I booked there was an error which showed kids under 12 went free but this offered expired.

I have been looking at the various sites to see if there was any under 12 go free but even the French site has now gone to under 7 stay and play free.
New York hotel March 2013
Cheyenne February 2015
Newport bay Compass room February 2017

DisneyGagaChick

We normally chose on price & which time of the year to go.

Whenever you book a hotel, there always seems to be a deal such as half price meal plan etc but it depends on time of year.
We always stay in the Hotel New York (going again in 3 weeks!) as we find it to be the best hotel for money, food is beautiful and staff are always helpful!

Hope this helps!

billy

Quote from: Sulley15 on January 22, 2016, 06:08:41 PM
We normally get 2 rooms which which is expensive, so it worked out cheaper to get the Newport bay family room then 2 rooms at Cheyenne. We also did the 2 nights and 2 days free, last time I booked there was an error which showed kids under 12 went free but this offered expired.

I have been looking at the various sites to see if there was any under 12 go free but even the French site has now gone to under 7 stay and play free.

The spanish site is now offering under 12's eat, stay and travel free but i think you have to travel before end of march this year!

15stitch

So I've made some decisions!  :D

I'm going in May (booked time of work), I'm 95% sure its going to be Newport Bay Club and I'm definitely going on Eurostar (I was debating driving or flying)!

So all that is left is to decide meal plan or no meal plan and to actually book it  :)

Getting so excited!
1995 WDW (offsite)
2004 WDW (offsite)