Eurostar prices

Started by abismummy, January 03, 2016, 03:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abismummy

Hi I have just called about prices for October half term and been told that they are not the cheapest that they will be, However I have got cheaper closer to the time before. I think 508 for 2 adults and 1 child is quite a lot. Does anyone know how the pricing works with Eurostar please? Is it worth waiting a little while?

DisneyMumOf1

I was once told the later you leave it the more expensive it becomes. They raise the price as the seats get booked but I don't know how true that is. We decided to fly as it was way cheaper then the Eurostar  ;D

abismummy

I wouldn't know where to start with flights to be honest.

Ohana

I was considering getting the eurostar for our next trip in May, although I think eurostar is only really worth it if you live near enough to London that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get there. The things stopping me were the fact that direct trains to DLP weren't flagging up return tickets for Saturday, meaning we'd have to go to GDN and then a connection to DLP, which isn't so bad until I began considering transport to London - trains to London haven't been released far enough in advance, so I don't want to risk booking eurostar for there to potentially (however slim the chance may be) be no train/too expensive.

We flew last time and bar the boredom of all the waiting around and major pain in my ears, I found it to be a relatively easy and nice process. It was my first time flying, so the scurry of security and baggage claim was a bit frightening, but that's just because I had no idea what I was doing. I'm going to book my flights direct with airfrance this time, it's a bit daunting but I'm sure it'll be fine. There can't be any safer way than booking direct with the airline, right? And Airfrance are an amazing airline to fly with, they went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable on our journey (I'm sounding like I work for them now haha)

Feel free to ask me any questions, I might not have as much info as more experienced travellers but I do have a newbie's experiences :)
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

abismummy

We would have to travel nearly as far to the nearest airport and just checked the flight prices and they are nearly £400 through AirFrance.

rebecca20

I must admit even though I live in Yorkshire I much much much prefer the Eurostar. I don't have a fear of flying but major anxiety in airports (odd I know).

We've always got them for around the £400 mark for two adults and thats off peak (i.e. not childrens holidays) booking near the time so I don't think £500 is bad at all. We have always gone standard premier for that price so check that the upgrade isn't free or super cheap. I don't really know how pricing works but I tend to accept the Eurostar price and work the system for tickets down to London so those are super cheap.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

stifle

£508 is on the high side in my opinion. The lowest is normally £72 per person and that's more than double that.

Don't forget that you can get super cheap connecting travel within the UK on Eurostar from any UK station, but you must book your domestic tickets over the telephone from Eurostar – no website offers these very special fares. Examples include Southampton to London St. Pancras from £8.20, York to London Kings Cross from £13, Coventry to London Euston from £7, and Arundel to London St. Pancras from £8.

DisneyMumOf1

We booked with Easyjet, for 2 adults and one child (6) it was £271 return. We booked the magic shuttle this time which cost us 112 euros return so for us it was still cheaper then Eurostar which wanted nearly £500 return and it wasn't a direct train, we would have had to change over in Lille which terrified me I'm no good with trains in England let alone in another county lol. It's down to personal preference though, some people I'm sure would pay the extra for Eurostar then fly as they could be a nervous flyer/makes them ill/generally gets stressed out with it all.

abismummy

Oh I'm going to call them again about domestic connections. Thanks everyone x

littlebitofpixiedust

I've travelled via Eurostar for last 7 years 3-4 times a year and the prices always rise the longer you leave it, my brother booked hater day for him and his gf the week before oct half term and it was £260 to 2 adults in standard class.

My friend booked feb half term at 8am be day tickets went on sale and paid £550 for 2 adults one child. Seems as they go online at 6am and that's how fast peak times sell on Eurostar. She was told by Eurostar she's lucky she called as they predicted within hours they would be sold out for those particular dates and she'd already booked hotel.

So it depends if you mind flying and weighing up pros/cons I know I would go Eurostar every time flying for me is a lot more hassle and I'm lucky enough to be 10min from ebbsfleet international so even if cost more id save time and wouldn't have to drive to an airport ect.

Have a wonderful time when you go  ;)

abismummy

Even tough we are over 100 miles from ebbsfleet we find Eurostar just so easy.

adr2.8i

ive used the eurostar 3 times to get to disney and ive never paid more than £300 return for 2 adults and 2 children.

Our last journey was may half term in 2014 and we paid £274 return. So the cheaper deals are out there. Its all about luck in the timing. Keep an eye out online for the dates and when your date is almost showing on their calendar on the their website, give them a call and you should be able to get the best prices. They are very helpful and friendly on the phone.

All the best.

abismummy

Yes that's what I did as they are not on website yet. Guess they may have risen this year.

stifle

It's worth checking we heather you or anyone in your family may happen to have any benefits or offers for Eurostar. For example if you have Vitality Health Insurance (formerly PruHealth) you get up to 40% off up to 3 trips a year on Eurostar and up to 2 trips a year in British Airways. There are lots of conditions but it's still worth looking into.

kazziep

We are going to DLP in May half term and I tried to book Eurostar months ago but it was going to cost £880 (5 of us and 4 of us will be over 13!)- that was the direct Disney service though. I was very keen to do it as we did that last time about 8 years ago and it was really simple. The cost put us off and I was talking with a friend who had booked flights with BA. Have got great flights so we arrive at lunch time and leave at 9pm giving us effectively the whole last day there. It was about £460 for the 5 of us using hand luggage only (which is still generous) I would have liked the convenience but am now pleased we have booked flights instead for the cost and timings. I'm sure the prices have hiked up since we last went on Eurostar!