Trip Report / Highs and Lows 12-16th October

Started by rebecca20, October 18, 2015, 02:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebecca20

First off I will saw I'm going to keep this as brief as possible so people can get a general idea of things to do / avoid. Secondly, I would like to add that although our trip did involve a couple of disasters, I have visited many times when things have been perfect.

Lows:
- Arrived 12th October around 2pm at Sequoia Lodge. All was fine and we headed to our room only to find someones bags and belongings were in the room!!! I seriously freaked out at this point as how the hell does a computer system allow you to double book a room. Went to reception, they apologised and headed off to our second room - now we specifically asked for a room near a lift as we both have health problems and due to my joints dislocating I can't lift suitcases upstairs etc. Low and behold the lift wasn't working and there was a flight of stairs to go up. So we went back to reception and by this point my anxiety was through the roof and I was so upset and angry. I asked to speak to a manager as it had dawned on me quite how bad the first room situation COULD have been for those poor people. Finally we got a room that was on the ground floor. The manager didn't come out but by this stage 3 hours had passed and we only had a couple of park hours left.

- Not a low for this trip but I have booked a Castle Club park view for March and there is so much scaffolding on main street its less 'park view' and more 'metal view' - I intend to get this resolved though.

- Other guests. Once again smoking was a huge issue for me. I had a cold before I left but with Asthma I was wheezing all the time. Also I know us Britons love a queue but it was beyond ridiculous with people pushing in (I hate to say this but I am yet to come across a polite Spanish person in DLP - no offence intended I know several Spanish people who are lovely) I have no issue letting a child stand in front of me for parades etc but I don't expect adults to want the same treatment extended to them. Luckily I have noticed characters are aware of this and refused to interact with people who weren't waiting there turn.

- Don't dos in my opinion - Armageddon I thought it was naff last time but my friend also agreed it was utterly rubbish. Cinemagique is also really dull, I wish I hadn't bothered.

Highs:
- Cafe Mickey, everyone said Inventions way better but I completely disagree! I thought the food was nicer, cheaper and the character interaction was better / more characters were there.

- Queue times were non-existent. I have already posted about this but the longest we waited was 10 minutes for Dumbo. We utilised fastpass though or else we would have been waiting much longer.

- There were far more characters out than in the Summer which was fabulous. I really don't go to Disney for characters (other than a select few) but it was nice to grab a quick photo without a wait.

- Theming - the Halloween theming was amazing and it was a nice touch that characters gave out sweets.

-Paris Essentials trip - a really hassle free way of seeing Paris for those who don't like having to work out the French train system.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

daddyof2

Did you speak to a Manager at all regarding the room issue? Glad to know it wasn't all lows

rebecca20

No we tried twice but were told they weren't available! I'm so gutted - first stay thats not in the DLPH too. I've sent an email mentioning the specific CMs names and asked for at the very least additional training to be given so they don't make the same errors. Could have had a very nasty outcome especially considering all the possessions they left including cameras and laptops.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

HildeKitten

I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the hotel. Hopefully you'll never end up in this kind of situation ever again.

Personally I'm not fond of Armageddon myself either, but I do love Cinemagique. But hey, rides are one of those "to each their own" kind of thing of course :)
Its not because someone likes/dislikes them others won't feel different about the same rides :)

rebecca20

I completely agree HildeKitten - I just couldn't imagine taking my Godsons aged 1 and 2 to Cinemagique I think they'd be bored out of there brains and probably cause a fuss (a lot of children were). So it's more an FYI for those with small children as if you're on limited time I think Animagique is a million times more entertaining if you can only do one show.

moopmoop93

I was thinking of doing the Paris Essentials trip as well but wasn't too sure, did the guide stay with you all the time or do you get dropped off and do your own thing and meet up again later to head back? Xx
Sequoia Lodge - Sierra Lodge Aug 2006
Sequoia Lodge - Montanna Room (upgraded to GFC rooms for free) Feb 2014
Sequoia Lodge -Lodges Feb 2015

rebecca20

You get dropped off to do your own thing. It's like the hop on hop off tours that are all over the major cities. If you want to look go to the Big Bus Paris website and you get dropped off at stop 4  :)

littlebitofpixiedust

I cannot believe they booked two families in the same room!?

I would have been mightily shocked as I guess you were! I'm sure this must've been an isolated incident however your right in saying they need to be more aware in the future wether that be training ect. I mean not only could "someone else" have stolen their belongings but the privacy aspect is scary. I mean say the other family were in and not "decent" I mean vice Versa you could of given one another a real fright. Not only that but who'd know how a family would react to people all walking in their room!?

At least it didn't hinder your trip and you had some quiet nice days with next to no que!  :)

HildeKitten

You know, I've had that happen once to me in London, at the Montague on the Gardens, which is a top of the range hotel (we only went because of a really good travel agent deal to be honest, no way we could afford it otherwise).
It's generally not even a double booking but a computer glitch, and that's no one's fault. The staff profoundly apologised (repeatedly), and was really, REALLY bothered by it (much more than us and the people in the room).
It's annoying to be sure, but sadly these things happen, no matter how fancy your hotel is.
Pesky technology!

rebecca20

I reckon if they had been shocked and upset and hadn't blamed it on one staff member being new I wouldn't have cared so much. It was the 'we don't give a **** ' attitude that surprised me most. Plus I have suffered with OCD and GAD for many years and it manifests itself it repeated checking behaviour so as you can imagine my anxiety went through the roof and I spent a good couple of hours everyday going through all my possessions just incase the same happened to me (I admit I normally check anyway but this time it was ridiculously bad).

HildeKitten

Yeah ok, that sort of behavior on their part is really not on.
Technical glitches happen, nothing can be done about them, and reacting like a proper human being and trying to make up for it with at least an honest apology is the only way to go.