Dapper Day and that weekend (September 25-27 2015) - COMPLETED! - final part up!

Started by HildeKitten, October 06, 2015, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HildeKitten

Hello everyone :)

I am really quite fond of my old blog, so I upload stuff on there, including trip reports with plenty of pictures.
So instead of copy pasting on here, I'm just going to leave you with links to click :)
You can comment here or there, I will reply anywhere :)

Day 1: Val d'Europe, Sea Life Paris, Disney Village and a crappy offsite hotel

Day 2, part 1: Up to noon of the first full day in Disneyland Paris

Day 2, part 2: Dapper Day!

Day 3, Walt Disney Studios Park, Disneyland Park, Disney Village, Hotel Cheyenne, shopping, Halloween and lots of fun!

stifle

Just so you know, RER tickets are valid either direction and there are no return fares – so you did get the right tickets and they would have worked fine in the gates :)

I don't think bag checks are illegal as the village is private property. Coming from the hotels (or even into the hotels£ there are also bag checks so no way to avoid it, it seems.

Agreed on McDonald's – the only thing I eat there is ice cream these days.

And your skirt looks AWESOME :D

HildeKitten

Thank you so much! I can never find skirts with prints I like, so I just buy fabric and turn that into skirts instead :)

I think there must have been a kind of miscommunication about the RER tickets in my post.
What we should have received were two tickets from Bussy-St-Georges to Val d'Europe and two tickets from Val d'Europe to Bussy-St-George. I clearly explained we were going to and from, so we would be returning. I am very well aware that all tickets are single fares, but when I asked for retour I assumed that the woman selling tickets would be competent enough to give us two single fares to Val d'Europe and two to be able to return. What she did was sell us four single faires from Bussy-St-George to Val d'Europe, which meant that the ones we used to come back did in fact NOT work in the machines (trust me, we tried), as they were the wrong way around.
Hence the turnstile jumping.

I actually took a photo to illustrate what happened, because it was quite daft, and I think it would be quite good for people to know what to look out for. We were lucky because there was no staff around when we returned, but if there had been, I'm pretty sure we would have had quite a bit of explaining to do, even though we were sold the wrong tickets and it was no fault of our own, other than we didn't actually check the tickets (which we should have, and which we will definitely do in the future when we buy from a person rather than from a machine ^^).

As you can see, these are all tickets going to Val d'Europe, which means that returning with them would make the machine unresponsive to them, and so the gates didn't open.
And also as you can see, we did very much, NOT receive the right tickets. Well we did for the journey to the mall, just not for coming back XD

This is what we used to go to and from Val d'Europe to Disney Village are these. Which are clearly tickets to and from, so they are very much not valid either way, only the way indicated on the tickets.

stifle

I understand fully what you said as I am a frequent traveller around Paris. What I said was correct: see http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_21187/billet-origine-destination/ – "Il est utilisable dans un sens ou dans l'autre, par exemple : Paris - Antony ou Antony - Paris", which as you know means "it is usable in one direction or the other". A single ticket from BSG to Val d'Europe should work the other direction too.

As for the gates refusing the ticket, when you were coming back did you go directly from Marne la Vallée to BSG? If you attempted to exit BSG without the ticket ever having been through a ticket gate, it will reject because it expects the ticket to have been put through a gate on entry and on exit.

And that's a summary of pointless RATP things! Hope it clarifies.

HildeKitten

We knew that last bit, so we pushed it through the gate at Val d'Europe, so it really was rejecting our ticket because it could I suppose XD
We got out, that's what matters, but it was all a bit ridiculous really.
Mind you, we saw someone that got tickets after us in the queue in B-S-G jump the turnstiles on arrival too because his ticket didn't work, so there must have been _something_ up with them XD

A friend of mine that actually lives in Paris did tell me that you should always get tickets going to and tickets going from (so a set to make a return I suppose), because else it's worlds of grief in some stations. I guess Bussy-St-George is one of those XD.

michaelj1973

A lengthy trip report ;D I like the pictures. Am curious at the pictures of the dapper day day. So I will keep an eye out for those.

HildeKitten

Thanks!

I'm still editing photos, I took so many.
And I'm expecting more still because the two analog rolls are currently at the shop getting developped, I'm picking them up on Saturday :)
I'm hoping to get day 2 up on Sunday because I really want to include some of the analog photos ^^

BethKJ

I was there that weekend and saw many of the "Dapper" people during a photo shoot on the Storybook canal. Everyone looked SO AWESOME and I look forward to seeing the photos!
DLP day trip 1997
Sequoia  Lodge 2004
DLP day trip 2008
Sequoia Lodge 2015

never2old

Great start, can't wait to read more!!

Good to know about the hotel... I've been tempted to book it many times, now I'm glad I didn't :)

Great pictures, particularly those of SeaLife!!

Ohana

Loving reading and looking through your photos. And can I just say, that Christmas light Perry! Oh my gosh! :D
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

HildeKitten

@BethKJ: I have to admit that I missed that part of Dapper Day, but I'll make sure to include links to the flickr pages of people that didn't in my trip report :)
There will be plenty of other Dapper Day photos though! :)

@never2old: Thank you!
Yeah avoid that hotel at all cost! If you are looking for a cheap hotel in the same area with the same accesibility to the RER etc, go for the Premiére Classe Bussy-St-George instead :) That's a good one :)
Next time I'm definitely booking that one, no doubt about it :)

Sea Life is well worth it though, I can really recommend that :)

@Ohana: Thank you :)
I know right! I loved that Christmas Perry plush, but sadly I have run out of room for plushies so I took a photo instead :D
Better than nothing :)

Mitchell

Loving it Hilde! I hadn't heard of Dapper Day until you mentioned it a few months ago!
Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

HildeKitten

Thanks Mitchell.
It's sadly not at all as well known in Europe as it is in the US parks :(

Mitchell

Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

HildeKitten

Day 2, part 1: Up to noon of the first full day in Disneyland Paris is now online! :)

For the full scoop and more photos (lot's more photos) click that link *points above the photo* :)

As always, I will be happy to reply to comments here or there :)