Hi Ho Hi Ho Back To DLP I Go

Started by bad-pink-tink, September 17, 2015, 11:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad-pink-tink

Well its official, after weeks of checking out the DLP website and family shaking their heads and asking me why I want to back AGAIN, I have finally booked a 2 day trip to DLP in February.

Why February you ask? Well I have a week free in my schedule at the end of February. Last year I didn't do anything in that week so this year I decided take a city break somewhere. Also I will be doing my annual trip to California in June, so I wanted to do something midway between Christmas and June.

February is cold in most countries in Europe so did I really want to wander around a city in the cold and rain? The only option that made sense to me (family on the other hand dont get my logic!!) was DLP :)

I got a really good deal on the French website, they currently have a 35% off offer. The same hotel and dates came up at nearly €300 more on the Irish website!!

I am staying at Hotel New York, in a Plaza View room , bouncy bouncy :)

I booked over the phone. I rang the Irish number and when I said that I wanted to book the deal on the French website, I was transferred to the French reservations. Very easy, no issues or problem booking the French offer, even though I am from Ireland. A 15% deposit was taken and the rest paid 30 days before my trip. My confiramtion email will be sent in the next 2 days.

IMPORTANT INFO
When you book through a different countries website, you need to create a My Disney Account on THAT website.Leave your country as the country website, for example, I am from Ireland but I booked through the French website, so when I created My Disney Account on the French website, I left my country as France.

I was told to go to the French website and create an account and then I can pay the balance through the website, or I can call back and they will do it over the phone.

Warning, if you book by phone, they really really push the dining plans and other extras. The lady who I spoke to tried to convince me by saying " you are coming in February, it will be cold, wouldn't it be nice to have a free treat (pas gourmande) in the afternoon to warm up" She also tried to sell me travel insurance and transport from the airport.

This will be my third visit to DLP and my third different hotel. Previous trips I have stayed at Santa Fe and Sequoia Lodge.

I had a mini debate with myself over whether I should go for Golden Forest at Sequoia Lodge or standard room at Hotel New York. Hotel New York won, based mainly on location. Also as I am going in February, its not a busy time so the wait lines wont be anywhere near what they were on my last visit, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day 2013, so the Golden Forest Fastpass would be wasted.

I have checked out flights but I haven't booked yet, I will do that next week. I am also looking at staying at Val De 'Europe one night. Most likely this will be at the end of my trip. That way I can check out of Hotel New York, put my bags in storage, have a full day in the park, then go over to Val De Europe and stay overnight at one of the hotels. That way I can get an afternoon flight back home without losing out on time in the park. Also I have never been to Val De Europe, so that will be something new to see.

So yes February
Negatives
1.I know it will be cold and wet
2.I know the park wont be open late
3.I know there will be many ride and attraction closures

Positives
1.I can afford Hotel New York as its off peak season and I managed to get a Plaza View Room
2. Park crowds will be low
3. Finally get to see Ratatouille as it wasn't opened the last time I was there

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

norhel

4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

lovindisney87

It will still be amazing we went last week of January 2014, it was a little wet and was defo cold but the fact that nearly everything had no queue. We was walking right on most stuff, had plenty of time to do everything and wandered back and forth to the hotel to warm up or dry off, it was fantastic. We are going the last week of January next year again and cannot wait 130 sleeps 😁😁  I hope you have an amazing time xx
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

bad-pink-tink

thanks norhel :)

Quote from: lovindisney87 on September 17, 2015, 12:34:50 PM
It will still be amazing we went last week of January 2014, it was a little wet and was defo cold but the fact that nearly everything had no queue. We was walking right on most stuff, had plenty of time to do everything and wandered back and forth to the hotel to warm up or dry off, it was fantastic. We are going the last week of January next year again and cannot wait 130 sleeps 😁😁  I hope you have an amazing time xx

Thats what I'm looking forward to, no queues. I go to California in June every year and thats the one thing that gets to me, the queuing. It will be so nice just to have 10 minute or less queues :) Thats my plan as I managed to get Hotel New York at a really good price, being so near I can go back for an hour or two very easily.

michaelj1973

You will have an amazing time in hotel New York.
Have fun with the plannings of those 2 days.

bad-pink-tink

thanks michaelj1973 :)

ok, just checking the official closure list and this is what will be closed during my visit

Its A Small World ( avoided this since 2010, the song does my head in)
Big Thunder Mountain ( haven't been on this since 2012 , not one of my must do rides)
Thunder Mesa Riverboat Landing (not really bothered about this, prefer the Disney California version)
Peter Pans Flight ( disappointed, this was closed in Disneyland California in June  too :( )
Star Tours ( DLP has the old version, prefer the 3D new version in Disneyland California)
La Cabane des Robinsons ( never been on previous visits, does not interest me )
Rock n Roller Coaster May Be Closed ( never been on previous visits, does not interest me as I don't like roller coasters)
so out of the closures, the only one that disappoints me is Peter Pan. In a way I'm kinda ok with that, as it will build the excitement for the new version in California when I go in June

musicaljojo

There's also rumours the rock n roller coaster closes at the start of Feb, for a refurb but I don't know how much truth there is I read it on @cafefantasia and the Cabane des Robinson, will be closed as well, hope this doesn't disappoint you!

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: musicaljojo on September 17, 2015, 01:18:32 PM
There's also rumours the rock n roller coaster closes at the start of Feb, for a refurb but I don't know how much truth there is I read it on @cafefantasia and the Cabane des Robinson, will be closed as well, hope this doesn't disappoint you!

hi , thanks for that, I will ad to the list, Rock n Roller Coaster being closed does not disappoint me, I have never been on it and it does not interest me as I don't like roller coasters ,

HildeKitten

February will be cold, sure, but you know, it could be mega dry :)
I've been twice in February, once it was cold-ish but dry. And the other time it had snowed a little, it mostly stayed dry (aside from very mild snowfall on occasion) and it was well past minus 10 °C
So you have to be lucky.
If it's a winter like it was in 2013, you'll be absolutely fine :)

In any case, with a pair of good gloves and really warm winter socks you'll be set ^^

Yeah when I book over the phone they always try to push all kinds of stuff on me too.
Generally they just offer it, and when you say no they just note you declined and leave it at that.
A few years ago though, they REALLY tried to push breakfast at Café Mickey on me, that was massively annoying.

It's worth noting, if you aren't comfortable with the person you have on the line (because some people aren't as nice as they should be), just politely tell them you'll think about it, hang up, call again. 9 out of 10 you'll get someone else on the phone entirely that is quite happy to help you out as well as they can :)

bad-pink-tink

thanks HildeKitten, if I go expecting rain, and it stays dry, then that will be a bonus. I don't mind the cold, I lived in Germany for 2 years, and much much prefer central Europe cold at -10 c than Irish cold at 2c! Central Europe cold is crisp and dry while Irish cold is wet and damp and windy

oh yes she also tried to sell me character meals. I had told her by this stage that I had been to DLP and had favourite restaurants I always go to, so its not as if I didn't know about character meals. She was nice but just really pushy, and I guess if it was a first timer talking to her she would have sold alot :)

I just checked My Disney Account on the French website and everything looks fine, so  I'm really going ... happy dance  :)

twentythingamabobs

Glad you're all booked up Tink and that you got a good deal! We always stay at the HiPark Serris and although it is really close to Val d'Europe we've never actually ventured there! Always seem to lose complete track of time at Disney haha. I hope you do a trip report :)

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on September 17, 2015, 04:30:49 PM
Glad you're all booked up Tink and that you got a good deal! We always stay at the HiPark Serris and although it is really close to Val d'Europe we've never actually ventured there! Always seem to lose complete track of time at Disney haha. I hope you do a trip report :)

thanks :) yes thats one reason why I want to do an over night there, as its just a waste of park time going there otherwise.

HildeKitten

Oh yes, I know about the really pushy!
I found it rather tedious to explain that I really was NOT going to pay for a breakfast with characters whilst I already had breakfast included in my hotel booking AND could just meet characters in the hotel (the meet and greets hadn't been abolished yet) and the parks.
5 times.

I get that they are just doing their job and that they are told to push things, but seriously, no is no.
Oh well, at least they were friendly :)

pasxalis1987

bad-pink-tink

UPDATE

Flights booked - landing at 9.30am on arrival day. The aim is to get to the hotel as early as I can to maximise my park time. In November I will book TGV tickets, which should mean getting to Disney by 11am

Hotel L'Elysée Val d'Europe booked for departure night. Again to maximise my park time. My plan is to check out of Hotel New York, leave my bag in the luggage store, spend the full day in the park, collect my bag and head over to Val d'Europe when the park closes.

Depart Charles de Gaulle the following day in the afternoon. Spend the morning in Val d'Europe shopping centre. Not sure yet if I will get TGV or magic shuttle back to the airport.