Highs and Lows Sept 7-12 Newport Bay Club

Started by SVioletS, September 13, 2015, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SVioletS

We are back from our visit and this time I won't write a full report but will highlight the best and worst parts of our week!

Cast is: me (35), DH (42), DD8 and DD4; we were joined by DH coworker and his two sons aged 10 and 12.

Starting with the lows:

- At Princess Pavillion, we witnessed on one visit (the only one, because over 1h queue is ridiculous!) one woman and one teenager, who were not together and were alone, seeing both princesses, instead of only the one you are suposed to. This was so obvious that both our girls noticed it, and the little even cried a while because it was not fair that they could see both princesses and she couldn't. The princesses were Snow White and Aurora.

Later I went to the City Hall and reported this and the CM there (very nice spanish girl) offered us a voucher for two autograph books for the girls, which I didn't expect.

We saw Aurora, and she was really sweet and nice to both DDs, especially to DD4 who was wearing her Aurora dress!

- On the Frozen show, despite one DD was wearing Anna dress (much to her annoiance LOL) and the other wearing Elsa dress, they were not chosen to sit on the special area... One disappointed mommy here...

And these were the lows, if you can call them that! :)

Highs:

- The weather! It was a bit cold on the first two days, then warm, and it only rained on our last day! Beautiful!

- My DD8 discovering the thrill of Big Thunder Mountain!! She now loves it!! So much fun going on it with her! We got the best pics on our Photopass+!

- Inventions dinner on our last night: nice warm food; great waiter Giacomo playing with us; very good character interaction, and so many characters it made up for our trip! We saw: Pinocchio, Donald, Eeyore,Mickey, Pluto, Geppetto, Gooffy, and Chip and Dale. I asked for a Glowtini and then it was deducted from our bill as a gift! Inventions Pixie Dust :D (btw we loved the glowtini!)

- Randomly meeting another portuguese family that was leaving and that gave us their unused standard vouchers, which paid for our lunch at the Lucky Nugget Saloon!

- Our waiter David at the Lucky Nugget Saloon! So nice, going back and forth to satisfy ours and the tables around us in a very quick and professional manner! TBH most CM's we met everywhere were very nice, but only a few seem to go out of their way and putting on that extra effort to make us feel special. Giacomo and David were two of them.

I left a compliment for David on City Hall and would like to write one for two other CMs too. Can someone send the correct email address?

- Dreams!!! We saw it three times and it never let me down!! :) On one of the nights we arrived late and were so lucky that a dutch (?) family arranged space for us to stay near them and they remained sat down on the bench so we had a clear view of the castle.

- The parade on our last day: so many characters coming to DDs giving hugs, high 5, blowing them kisses or waiving! Best parade ever! Cinderella saw DD4 with her Cinderella dress and made a big fuss! :D Happy mommy and happy DDs!

- DH giving me as a present four princesses for our Christmas tree, the new beautiful ones which I had showed him (and forgot them, because they were quite expensive). This was at Walts before we left the parks and brought tears to my eyes!

- Making good use of my little french and receiving compliments for it!! ahah

- Unlike many posters I didn't notice many people smoking, and never felt bothered by it. Never saw someone smoking in queues or in crowded spaces. Maybe we were just lucky!

- Our lovely room at the Newport Bay... Great to wake up and have the view of the lake!!

- Altough we didn't queue much for characters this time, we saw a lot more of them in the parks, most with organized queues and controlling CM's.

- The parks were quite full but the waiting times were reasonable, and when they weren't we used fastpasses or moved on to another ride!

- It thought POTC and It's a small world being closed this week would have a negative impact on us, but we didn't miss them (too much!)

I guess this is it! Just one last note on our meals (we had Half Board +):

BBWWS - we enjoyed the show and the meal, but don't think we will do it again soon.

Café Mickey - The adult food was good, the kids meals didn't look very good. The resto was to its full capacity! The interaction was rushed, but Minnie was great! My DD4 had a tamtrum there, so my vision may be clouded!

Cowboy Cookout - one of the best counter service imo. We ate there twice one for lunch one for dinner.

Lucky Nugget Saloon - counter service food was good; But the best part was to relax listening to the piano player, and the service for us was very good.

Parkside Dinner at the New York Hotel - we had a reservation for Manhattan, but the kids prefered the buffet so we changed it. It was good, but I still prefer the Sequoia Lodge buffet.

Bistro Chez Remy - food was good but not great; the environment was very good and we all loved the decor.

Inventions - already put it as a high! Very good in all aspects :) Well worth the extra money!

Walts - still the best restaurant for me: great food, calm space. Too bad we had lunch there on our last day, so we were in a hurry! We said so to our waiter and the service was quick.

All in all an amazing trip! And yes, I could complain about people queue jumping in front of us; about the few grumpy CMs or the two dirty toilets; or the time I stood in line at Caseys Corner for Pause Gourmande, but I choose no to! We had the best of times DDs had so much fun, and everyone was so nice to us! I felt like we had a bag of pixie dust spelt over us! In the end DD8 wanted us to stay another day and was so sad to come back home!

We are (or I am) already planning our next trip, either Xmas 2016 or Easter 2017 or Xmas 2016. Wish it could be all three!

Sorry for going on and on and on... :) couldn't help it!

Sorry for typos too (feel free to correct me!)

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

lovindisney87

Glad you all had a great time, hope you get your next trip real soon 😁😁
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

Mileto

SVioletS, you made my first smiles for this days! Fabulous journey! And exciting highs! I liked your satisfaction from Inventions - we never went there, plan to go this Christmas and I can't wait!

Wishing you to do all your planned future trips!

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

SVioletS

Thank you!! It was a fabulous trip!

Inventions was very good this time! We had previously been in April 2014 for dinner and for Sunday brunch. Then, the dinner was ok and the Sunday brunch was really good. This time it completely conquered us! :D

At the moment, Walts is still a favorite; followed by Inventions... Café Mickey is a bit hit and miss but we keep doing it; also enjoyed Bistro Chez Remy, mostly because of the decoration. As for regular buffet, the Sequoia Lodge buffet restaurant is very good! People usually like the Blue Lagoon, but we didn't go there yet.

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

solo_beckett

I'd imagine the adults got to see 2 princesses as their visit would have been much shorter than say a family of 3 or 4?