Self catering and/or suites?

Started by stationmaster, August 25, 2015, 06:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stationmaster

New here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. I'm looking at booking a 3/4 night stay next March. Ideally would love the Disneyland Castle Hotel. There will be 5 of us - wife, me 4 yr old, 2 yr old and 7 month old. Only concern with the Disneyland Hotel is that we'll be too cramped in the one room especially with the 7 month old.

Am I right in thinking that Davy Crockets is the only hotel that does self catering? Do any of the other hotels have suites that would have a seperate living room to the bedrooms?

Thanks.

AlmostThere...

I think Disneyland hotel suites offer more than room....for a lot of money I reckon!

We did Davy Crockett with 2 kids and it's nice to self cater, we had breakfast nice and early when we wanted it, made up packed lunches, chose to eat out most nights and had dinner 'at home' once, it was great x
First trip October 2012 - Marriott resort and 1 day DLP trip
Second trip October 2014 - 5 days Davy Crockett
Third trip to DLP.... On hold until after WDW in August 2017!!

HildeKitten

If you are driving yourself and are worried about being cramped, I would either go for the Davy Crockett ranch, and if you rather stick closer to the parks, check the Sequoia Lodge or even the Cheyenne.
You should be able to get two adjacent rooms (with a door separating them which you can leave open to see what the kids are up to) for the price of a suit in the Disneyland Hotel easy I would imagine, definitely with the Cheyenne.

Of course, the Sequoia Lodge and Cheyenne aren't self catering either.

polar vixen

It largely depends on how much time you expect to spend in the room, we live the Davy Crockett ranch but found the rooms at the Cheyenne not to bad even sleeping five (little one in a city doesn't count). Having said that we only slept in the room, Davy Crockett was lovely to sit out on a night time, to exploit, and to be able to put the kids to bed and not have to go to bed ourselves you may well find that it's so much cheaper that you could even stay a couple more nights for the same price!

Slimy yet satisfying

In all honesty dcr still doesnt have a very well equipped kitchen, light snacks rather than a proper meal.  There is a really good supermarket nearby however that do deli meals, lasagne, boeuf bourg etc which you could heat up in the evening. The extra space is helpful if you want to have a glass of wine and relax after the kids have gone to bed and the pool is in my opinion the best out of all the hotels. However that said we have stayed in the Santa Fe a few times and always requested adjoining rooms so had loads of space and the bonus of two showers. Hope that helps.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

Slimy yet satisfying

Oh hang on a minute, just reread your post. From what i remember the dcr 2nd bed had bunks which for the ages of your kids would be unsuitable. Best bet..Santa Fe, two king beds in each room push each to the wall, 1 ad 1ch (on the wall side) plenty of room for a crib in the middle. Trust me they will be so shattered at that age after a day in the park they could sleep on a bed of nails! Have a picture of me from 2000 dancing and singing "we won!" when all 5 of our kids ( under 7) were fast asleep before 9pm!
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: Slimy yet satisfying on August 25, 2015, 11:18:13 PM
In all honesty dcr still doesnt have a very well equipped kitchen, light snacks rather than a proper meal.  There is a really good supermarket nearby however that do deli meals, lasagne, boeuf bourg etc which you could heat up in the evening. The extra space is helpful if you want to have a glass of wine and relax after the kids have gone to bed and the pool is in my opinion the best out of all the hotels. However that said we have stayed in the Santa Fe a few times and always requested adjoining rooms so had loads of space and the bonus of two showers. Hope that helps.

I highly disagree!
Before I got my first AP, I always stayed at Davy Crocket Ranch.
And we went back every day to cook a normal meal, and it was absolutely fine.
Fifteen years of DCR experience with a proper meal every day.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

polar vixen

And dcr no longer has bunk feeds, they've all been upgraded to have single beds now, according to the website when booking

Samninetysix

I agree with DLRPWonders. We've stayed at Davy Crocket probably 20+ times and never had an issue with space or cooking (depends on what you expect I suppose). The newer cabins have a double en-suite at one end and 3 singles with a fouth slide out bed at the opposite end with a second toilet and bathroom/shower. We have cooked roast chicken dinners in the kitchen so it's hardly lacking in space. We sort of pre-empt the lack of utensils and take some from home.

There is the massive Auchan supermarket in Val d'Europe (largest in Europe I believe) although I prefer to use the Carrefour in Bailly Romainvilliers which is on the way to and from the parks/Davy Crockett.

MattR

There are still the familiy rooms in the Disneyland Hotel left which have two kingsize beds and a couch which can be transformed into a bed.

Slimy yet satisfying

Ok thats good that the beds have changed but I'm pretty sure if you look at recent posts on this forum concerning dcr there have been complaints regarding the cooking facilities. A 2 ring hob, no oven or microwave and two coffee makers? I'm just passing on info that some guests have posted, perhaps thers are different facilities in different classes of cabins.
1992 Honeymoon DH

Slimy yet satisfying

Just found one of the posts I was referring to, (crockett ranch standard cabins) it was last May so a little older than I remembered :-[ it said no oven or toaster and bunks in the 2nd bedroom, but if the bunks are gone now polar vixen then maybe the kitchens have had a refurb too. Should be easy enough to find out by emailling direct I suspect. There was another post too about microwave and hobs as I recall, but I cant seem to find it.
1992 Honeymoon DH

Samninetysix

It may be that some of the older standard cabins haven't been updated, go for the premium cabins

stationmaster

Thanks everyone - great tips there. So I can see what the cabins at Davy Crockets are like but has anyone first hand experience of the Castle Club are even a link to pictures? We're more than likely going to need a seperate living area because of the 7 month old.

c3po

Just some input on the Disneyland Hotel. We spent 5 nights in a family room there last year as a group of 5. It was far from cramped. I think it's very expensive for what you get, but as we were travelling with a 3-year-old it was fantastic to be able to get in and out of the parks very quickly. If I had a 7-month-old and could afford it, I'd choose it again.

As my little boy is 4 now, and out of the stroller, we'll be staying elsewhere this year.
[size=85]1972 - Disneyland; 1974 - WDW; 1988 - Disneyland; 1996 - Disneyland; 1998 - Disneyland; 2000 - Disneyland; 2003 - WDW (Coronado Springs & Grosvenor Resort); 2009 - DLP (Newport Bay Club); October 2010 - DLP (Sequoia Lodge); October 2014 (Disneyland Hotel); September 2015 (Sequoia Lodge); March 2017 (Sequoia Lodge GF)