TRIP REPORT 21 - 26 JULY 2015

Started by evie2002, July 27, 2015, 09:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evie2002

Hi all - first time I've done a trip report and felt it was about time as I have taken so much from all the posts here over the years, this was our 4th trip to DLP, previously we had 4 nights at NBH 2010, 6 nights SQL 2012 and 6 nights DLH 2013. It's been a couple of years since our last trip and our youngest is now 4 so we thought it was time to go back so he could enjoy it too. We arrived at CDG at lunchtime last Tuesday and had a car and driver waiting for us - I find this much easier and worth the little extra expense - hardly any more than the shuttle bus -  with myself, my wife and our three kids plus all the bags and a buggy! the kids are daughter age 12 and 2 sons aged 10 and 4 and they were bursting with excitement on the short car journey, it's a great sight when you first see TOT or Space Mountain driving in.

Previous trips have always been in spring and taken advantage of kids going free deals etc. so we were always able to stay in a Disney hotel - that worked out too expensive this time so we booked B and B in the Explorers and planned to buy annual passports on arrival. Check in was fine and we had a room with air conditioning although it didn't work that well - we had also brought a small fan with us as we had read that the rooms could be very hot in the summer and they were.

Dumped the bags and jumped on the first shuttle bus - it was packed but soon got less busy as it dropped off at the other hotels and we were then dropped at the train station. It's a brilliant feeling walking up to the DLH on the first day and then into the park proper - wide eyed and excited that all the countdowns and waiting are finally over - we strolled up Main Street and checked in to get our passes at the Annual Passport Bureau - it was really easy and all done within half an hour and we wandered over to Buzz - a 30 minute wait and all fast passes gone but the wee one was desperate to see it so we went on and he loved it - it was definitely his favourite on the trip - it was 6.00pm now and we had a reservation at Plaza Gardens - always pretty good there and enjoyed getting 10% off with the AP!

The park seemed really busy and the weather was still really hot when we went in for dinner but it had quietened down a little when we came back out - we wandered through the castle and Snow White and Pinocchio were walk ons - I really like the older fashioned rides - they are pretty unique to Disney and have a lovely charm to them - although my daughter is still pretty apprehensive about Snow White from when she was younger! Peter Pan had a long wait so we gave it a miss but Pirates was only 5 minutes so we went on that, the young one hadn't wanted to do Pirates as he thought it looked a bit scary (fair enough if your 4!) but with a bit of persuasion he came on and really enjoyed it and we must have done it another 5 or 6 times at his request over the time we were there - although he still didn't like the drops too much.

We wandered around Adventureland just soaking in the sights and atmosphere and found Indiana Jones was only 5 minutes wait too - my eldest two have been desperate to go on this since our last trip, they were both just too small for it and I had only been on it once before. They loved it and again this one became a firm favourite on the trip - if you used fast passes or went early in the morning or later in the evening you hardly had a wait at all - although I wasn't keen on the fast pass queue just having to push in on the normal queue!

Headed back to Fantasyland and did the teacups and It's a small world and by now it was well after 9.00pm and we were all pretty tired and we walked back to the bus stop to get the shuttle back to the hotel. Quick drink at the hotel and a reasonably early night.

DAY 2.

Up early and the usual continental breakfast in the hotel - I quite like it as the bread and croissants are fresh and the fruit is always good and it sets you up well for the day - the bus was quiet as I think not too many people from the hotels outside Disney have extra magic hours which we got with the AP- so if you got out early it was pretty good. We got into the park and it was another gorgeous day - we walked through the castle and walked on Peter Pan, Teacups and Dumbo - my first time on Dumbo after all these visits! nothing special on the ride itself but the views and photo opportunities are terrific and I am always impressed by the attention to detail on these rides - they really are beautiful. We then went to Discoveryland and did Buzz (a couple of times!) Star Tours and Orbitron then went to join the queue to get into the Studios where we were going to spend most of that day.

Straight to the queue for Crush with my son while my other half, daughter and youngest queued to get fast passes for Ratatouille - waited about 45 minutes for Crush and my wife and kids went on Cars and Slinky dog before meeting us at Crush and doing baby switch for her and our 10 year old - we wandered down to Aerosmith and did baby switch again and then it was time for Ratatouille - I thought it was fantastic and unlike anything I had seen before, the Imagineering was out of this world and the attention to detail was wonderful in the whole area.

We had a reservation for Restaurant Des Stars at 12pm and we enjoyed our lunch there but we were all pretty tired and the park was really busy and together with the hot weather we decided to head back to the hotel to have a rest so the young one could have a nap and then we could have a swim and come back later in the day feeling refreshed. We picked up another fast pass for Ratatouille before we left and headed back to the hotel.

Headed back to the studios for dinner at Chez Remy - had read mixed reviews of here and wasn't too impressed with the menu but we had a great time - service was a bit erratic and the menu in my opinion was a bit limited for a brand new restaurant and probably the Studios flagship offer but the theming was amazing - really impressed from the change in the tiles as you walk in to the chairs designed from champagne tops and the Christmas tree lights - the food was pretty good too - the salad was really good and the steaks were okay - kids didn't eat too much and the bill was pretty hefty but we knew that going in - I just don't understand why the menu is so limited ( no choice at all for starters!) must be pretty boring working in the kitchen - anyway we were on holiday in Disneyland so weren't going to let anything spoil it and the place looked terrific and as always in DLP was really busy - back on to Ratatouille - not too long a wait with the fast passes - brilliant again and then my wife and little one went back to Disneyland and me and the big two hit Aerosmith again - then onto TOT - only 15 minute wait but probably took about 45 - I've only ever done this once and the big two had never done it - but wow - this is Imagineering at its best - from the music in the queue to the cast members doomy demeanour - the kids were a bit apprehensive though and just as we were buckled in they both turned to me and said 'don't make me do this again!!' however once it was over  they both agreed how good it was. Did one more wild ride on Aerosmith and then arranged to meet my wife and the wee fella - he was practically asleep so we agreed to head home and chill out for an hour or so and get to bed pretty early - another busy day on Thursday planned :)

Siobhan82

Great report!!
Could you tell me a bit more about the car and driver for your transfer???

evie2002

Hi Siobhan82 - It was really easy and cost practically the same as booking the bus transfer, around 140 euros for the return trip - but having someone meet you at the airport - get straight into the car that was parked right outside the airport and then be at the hotel in under 30 minutes is so hassle free and as I said so much easier when there were 5 of us with all the bags and a buggy. Also at the end of the trip when the driver then picks you up at the hotel to take you back to the airport.