Will my WDW parents like Disneyland Paris?

Started by mrpiggywinkles52, July 10, 2015, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpiggywinkles52

So I've been to Disneyland Paris twice now. And I was thinking of planning a trip for my parents in 2016 around August time.

My dad is 55, mum is 50, I'm 16 and my sister is 14. So this may be our last family holiday until 2018 when we're going to WDW. The thing is I need to convince my parents a trip to Paris is worthwhile. All I get from my mum is "Paris is awful, there's only 2 parks, French people are rude all that sort of stuff. Now she's done zero research on the parks and she has never been so I believe she is mistaken.

My parents have been to WDW before, in the late 90s. Before I was born. So I was wondering if Disneyland Paris offers an experience akin to what WDW offered in the 90s and in general will my parents enjoy Disneyland Paris if they have already visited WDW several years prior.

What attractions and areas can I mention to convince them Paris is worthwhile?

SophieMiddleton

While Disneyland Paris is my absolute favourite place in the entire world, maybe your Mum needs reminding that it isn't WDW. That however doesn't make it any less magical than Disney World, it is smaller but also has it's own charm that you won't find in the American parks!

Also, keep in mind that in 2016 there is a lot of work going on around both parks to prepare it for the 25th anniversary in 2017, which unfortunately will involve quite a few ride closures, but i hope that won't bother any of you too much  :)

Rapunzel1

I have been to both.

WDW is the best but Paris is alright too. I loved the way you can walk everywhere. Between the two parcs. To the hotels, the shops etc.

Disneyland Paris is bigger than Disney Magic Kingdom. We all loved adventure land. The island is amazing. Especially when you see it for the first time. The attractions are the same as in Magic Kingdom. Disney studios is nothing special.It always makes us feel a bit depressed. A few nice attractions. The lines are always too long. But we also didn't like Hollywood studios in Orlando and that parc looks a bit like the Disney Studio's.

Then the negative factors. We didn't like the service at het hotels. We  stayed at both the Disneyland hotel and Newport bay. The location of the Disneyland hotel is great but it feels like a ordinary hotel. Nothing special. You had to wait in line for check in. You had to wait in line for breakfast. The breakfast room is very noisy. The rooms are o.k. but nothing special. The service at the hotel is the same as in Newport Bay. We thougth that that was a bit strange.

Restaurants the same. The service is so slow.

And the toilets are dirty and there are not enough toilets. We occasionally had to search for one. For example try to go to the toilet when you are eating at Hakuna Matata.

The lines for the characters are non existent. In France only loud children and adults get attention. Too bad the characters left the hotels. That was the only option for my children to easily get a picture.

mrpiggywinkles52

Quote from: SophieMiddleton on July 10, 2015, 04:21:00 PM
While Disneyland Paris is my absolute favourite place in the entire world, maybe your Mum needs reminding that it isn't WDW. That however doesn't make it any less magical than Disney World, it is smaller but also has it's own charm that you won't find in the American parks!

Also, keep in mind that in 2016 there is a lot of work going on around both parks to prepare it for the 25th anniversary in 2017, which unfortunately will involve quite a few ride closures, but i hope that won't bother any of you too much  :)

For what reasons do you prefer Paris to WDW, I'm assuming you have been to both resorts here?

As far as I can tell from the Reinvent the Magic plans only Star Tours,  Big Thunder Mountain and Thunder Mesa Riverboats are closed during the time we would be going. Is there anywhere else that I can find ride closures, I don't imagine the official DLP website would have them open at that time.

Do you think we'll see many green fences up around that time? From what I can tell a lot of the work has been started already so I was hoping it'd mostly be finished by next year, is that too hopeful?

andrewuk

July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

mickey1980

I actually like the Magic Kingdom at DLP more than over at WDW. This has to do with the attention to detail.
Paris has so many hidden details that even after 12 trips I still find new things to discover.
And the parks future is looking brighter than ever. With stage shows returning and more figures roaming around i'm really excited to plan my next visit.
Your parent mention rude French. I could counter with the fake smiles at WDW. But hey, different cultures. Different experiences. It's part of the charme of traveling to another part of the world.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018