The Castle's dragon

Started by Rocketeer, July 09, 2015, 07:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

Disneyland's original Fantasmic! dragon was called Bucky, I'm just wondering, has the dragon under Le Chateau ever been given an name, either officially by Disney or unofficially by fans?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

DisneyRon

Quote from: Rocketeer on July 09, 2015, 07:03:17 PM
Disneyland's original Fantasmic! dragon was called Bucky, I'm just wondering, has the dragon under Le Chateau ever been given an name, either officially by Disney or unofficially by fans?

I believe that is Malificent in her Dragon form (remember, it's Sleeping Beauty Castle). ;)
But I could well be wrong, it's just how I always thought of it. :)

Rocketeer

Ah true. I guess she's can be "Millie" for short then.  :D

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

HildeKitten

I believe there was an actual back story to it, I just can't remember what it was.
It's not Maleficent in her dragon form though (remember, she was slain in that form by Philip), but that definitely is a fan fave :)

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: DisneyRon on July 09, 2015, 07:24:21 PM
I believe that is Malificent in her Dragon form (remember, it's Sleeping Beauty Castle). ;)

Aaaargh, as world's biggest Maleficent fan I just cringed.
It's not Maleficent, it's a dragon that came out of an egg which was given to Merlin.
Hence the Merlin sword at Castle Courtyard and Boutique Merlin l'Enchanteur.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

DisneyRon

Quote from: DLRPWonders on July 09, 2015, 10:28:54 PM
Quote from: DisneyRon on July 09, 2015, 07:24:21 PM

Aaaargh, as world's biggest Maleficent fan I just cringed.
It's not Maleficent, it's a dragon that came out of an egg which was given to Merlin.
Hence the Merlin sword at Castle Courtyard and Boutique Merlin l'Enchanteur.

correction noted. :P Will adapt. ;)

HildeKitten

yes! that's the one!
I couldn't remember but now that I read it again I do!

Its nice that they mashed up Sword in the Stone and Sleeping Beauty in the castle, but understandably it's going to cause a lot of confusion XD

Mileto

Here I found a very interesting article about the dragon, the idea and the imageneering works.

http://www.designingdisney.com/content/designing-fantasyland-dragon-lair

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

Puffin

I find it weird how everytime you visit DLP there are new things to discover. Even though they might have been there for years. I stumbled upon the dragon on my third trip, never seen or heard about it before. haha.
may 2012 hotel new york ● november 2013 sequoia lodge ● may 2014 tokyo disneysea ● december 2014 sequoia lodge ● may 2016 fort wilderness resort (WDW) ● september 2016 sequoia lodge ● november 2016 newport bay ● march 2017 sequoia lodge ● april 2017 tokyo disneysea  ● may 2017 newport bay ● september 2017 hotel cheyenne  ● november 2017 santa fé  ● december 2017 tokyo disneyland  ● january 2018 tokyo disneysea ● april 2018 hotel cheyenne ● july 2018 newport bay ● august 2019 hotel cheyenne

DisneyGagaChick

I'm pretty sure it's called Maleficent, although I may be wrong.  :-\

Timbo

One thing the linked article didn't mention is that the dragon used to breathe fire when it woke , it was an amazing effect and one reason it was so amazingly popular , however the fire effect had to be turned off when it was realised if the animatronics failed the dragon would be breathing directly in the wrong direction i.e to the guests , and was a huge safety issue. It was a shame because it took the attraction to a new level and made it much more exciting !

SophieMiddleton

I still think that would be exciting, mmmm grilled tourists  ;)

gemma2806

Love the dragon! As others have said it's not Maleficent. Maleficent in dragon form was black with a green belly and spiralled horns but this dragon is all green and hornless. Couldn't remember the back story either but yes it's from a dragons egg that belonged to Merlin x

Magic M

Interestingly, although this ISN'T Maleficent, on the entrance to La Taniere, the sign is shaped like her head-dress!

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: Magic M on August 09, 2015, 03:20:11 PM
Interestingly, although this ISN'T Maleficent, on the entrance to La Taniere, the sign is shaped like her head-dress!

I have just realized that  :o