Attendance drops 4.7%

Started by Rocketeer, June 03, 2015, 07:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketeer

According to figures published by the Themed Entertainment Association, attendance at Disneyland Resort Paris has dropped in the year between 2013/14.

Parc Disneyland Paris welcomed 9,940,000 and WDS welcomed 4,260,000 in 2014, a drop of 4.7% at both parks.

These were the only two parks in the European top 20 to have a drop in attendance. With Madrid's Parque Warner (+25.9%), France's Parc Asterix (+11.1%) and Futurescope (+13.7%) making the biggest gains.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

HildeKitten

To be honest that considering the prices DLP charges I'm not surprised.
My husband rightfully remarked that for the price of a two day stay at Disney we could have gone on a 5 day holiday to several other spots in Europe.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people also feel that way.

andrewuk

Bear in mind that these are for 2013-14 so it is quite old data. My impression from ED's releases, my visit last week and what I see on social media is that things have been busier recently.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

TappyFish

When I was at work the other week, I found myself chatting to a guest as I checked him in. He was staying at the hotel where I work with his wife and two kids for the night before travelling down to DLP in the morning. It was nice to see how excited the kids were and brought back good memories of when my brother and I were younger and used to visit with our mum.

The man asked me if I'd ever been before and I explained how Disneyland Paris was like a second home when I was younger, but how I hadn't been for a few years and that my fiancee and I are going back in November. He seemed rather taken aback that we were going in November this year. I asked him why, to which he replied - and I quote (my response in bold):

"You really don't want to visit Disney after August this year, least not till they've finished all that work. Oh, how come? Well, the atmosphere isn't very Disney, what with all the work going on. Half the park will be shut that time of year and the prices don't reflect those closures. It's not like they're offering anything else in the meantime.

Aside from the initial thought in the back of my head that he may have a point about there being some closures when my fiancee and I visit, I wondered how many other people were thinking this way. I'm not going to try and guess a percentage, however if enough people are of this opinion, I wonder how many people will spend the next 12, 18 or even 24 months + not going to Disney and instead going elsewhere? If enough people did that, how would that affect DLP?

I guess that these people would come back after the anniversary, but in the meantime... well, who knows.

Mileto

Very, very interesting point of view, TappyFish!
You made me thoughtful about people's ways of accepting and passing on news and rumors.

I personally - when deciding on booking or nor for Christmas - had read a lot about all this work done there at that time and had concerns a little bit. But after that (and maybe because if have previous experiencies) I realised there is always something to be done there at that "awful" place. And because always something is closed (prior visits some painful attractions as Peter Pan, Molly Brown, Lancelot), it's understandable (for me at least) there must be a refurbishment after all these people and crowds. And I am sure new things are coming, so there is a lot of movement, change, which brings uncentain feeling in some of us.

Hope that not so many people "ride" this negative feeling and visit.
Sorry! Think I've changed the point of the thread a little bit, maybe it's connected somehow.

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

msRavenswood

Regular guests are not put off by all the green fences, they still enjoy the magical atmosphere! I've read several reports by people who said that they didn't even notice the fences, they had the most wonderful time and the magic was present all around. Now, as for the first timers, I'd understand their frustration but Disney isn't only about rides.

I will agree, though, on the high prices. Especially with the financial situation in Europe the past few years, it's getting harder for some people to save up for a Disney holiday. But boy, is it worth it every single penny!  ;D

polar vixen

I think people also don't tak into account that the majority of theme parks in the UK close for the winter, therefore allowing them to do refurb/renovation work, and have a nice period before they reopen to get everything looking fresh again.  As Disney is open 365 a year, of course they have to close things periodically to keep them in good working order.  And their standard is amazingly high, unlike some uk parks where I wouldn't feel safe letting my kids on certain rides, manned by teenagers who are too busy playing on the phones and only respond with a grunt

macca1476

The hotel prices are pretty mental, especially if you have a family of 5. We are staying at the adagio for 2 weeks for less than it would cost for 3 days in any of the hotels.

This is with the annual pass discount taken into account.

Which is completely different to 2008 when i stayed in the Sequioa Lodge and the cost wasnt unreasonably more expensive.

HildeKitten

Quote from: macca1476 on June 04, 2015, 03:53:28 PM
The hotel prices are pretty mental, especially if you have a family of 5. We are staying at the adagio for 2 weeks for less than it would cost for 3 days in any of the hotels.

This is with the annual pass discount taken into account.

Which is completely different to 2008 when i stayed in the Sequioa Lodge and the cost wasnt unreasonably more expensive.

EXACTLY! Back in 2008 my best friend and I could go for 3 days and 2 nights for barely more (actually the cost of the Soirée Halloween more) in peak season for what my husband and I are paying for 2 days and 1 night in low season! It's getting ridiculous.
I have to be honest, this is probably the last trip I'm taking for the forseeable future, not because I don't like DLP, not because of the refurbs, but simply because of the cost. And you know, there is more to the world than DLP and I'd like to be able to see other places too, so DLP trips will have to be cut back for a good while.

polar vixen

Not saying it's not expensive, but including ferry, and petrol, we stay at davy crcokett ranch for 1500 for eight days in September, including the half board standard meal plan, and there are seven of us.  Two weeks earlier (late august, if we were to go to centre parcs it would cost us around 900 for the lodge alone, no activities, not including fuel, no meals out, and that's just 5 days.  even looking for a cottage to rent in the lake district in September, for a family of our size, prices are about 800+, again, not including days out or meals, so I may be in the minority but I don't think DLP is so comparatively expensive.  Yeah, it would be more if we stayed at one of the on-site hotels, but I think it would cost us an equal amount, if not more to do any other holiday abroad

norhel

Quote from: HildeKitten on June 04, 2015, 10:23:01 PM
I have to be honest, this is probably the last trip I'm taking for the forseeable future, not because I don't like DLP, not because of the refurbs, but simply because of the cost. And you know, there is more to the world than DLP and I'd like to be able to see other places too, so DLP trips will have to be cut back for a good while.

For me it also have all to do with the cost. Last week I did price a couple of nights at Kyriad, and and the cost with tickets etc are way to pricey for us also. I think it's sad that it's so expensive now. If they cut the price with 30% or more, I think DLP could get more visitors. Even though I haven't been to DLP since 2009, and I want to go back, the price is stopping me.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

trip2themoon

We usually go to Cyprus during August, but this year we thought we'd go to DLP for something different.  I don't think we will again as it is so expensive! We can go to Cyprus for over 3 weeks including car hire, spending, flights for what it costs us for 5 nights at DLP! Next time we do Disney will be Orlando for sure!

DisneyRon

The cost is certainly a big factor, staying at DLP is very costly. Currently my next visit is planned for 2017, and I'll certainly try and book when there's an offer that gives you days for free.
Those are generally a massive saving, and make it worth going for me at least, though with a family that may well be different. I'm usually going alone, and you certainly don't get the advertised pricing per night, as that's based on 2 adults and 2 kids, rather than a single adult. :P

Oddly enough, WDW is a little more straightforward in that respect, it's more expensive to get there, but the price per night is generally a bit lower than what you'd pay for a similar level hotel at DLP. And I will say, you get a lot more Disney for that price. At DLP breakfast is included though, which is not the case at WDW.

Disney Matt

I tend to go when they have the "extra nights free" offers on.
& i don't think its that bad priced then but in the height of summer it is stupidly over priced!
So i can see why attendance may have dropped.
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

gavinng

In terms of pricing DLP is actually relatively cheap compared to DLHK and DRT. The Disney hotels in Asia are madness. And no extra hours at all. DLHK was like Euro 200 per night for their cheaper hotel, and Tokyo is just madness. Euro 400 per night for the hotel furthest from the entrance. Despite my love for DRT (I try to go every other year), I have not stayed at their hotels because frankly I don't have that much money to spare, and I also don't like to move from hotel to hotel ( I usually stay in Tokyo for at least a week on each visit). Although WDW is much cheaper than DLP.

I think the biggest drawback for me is the "magic". It's somewhat less magical at DLP than the other parks. Granted DLHK has lots of mainland China tourist who seek to continually ruin the "magic" (rudeness and poor public hygiene), but it's staff really try to keep it magical. DRT, despite being the most crowded of the Disney parks I've been to (park opens at 9am, fastpass for the Journey to the Center of the Earth at 10am is for 7pm, 4 hour wait otherwise, no single riders) and the language barrier, is one of the most magical for me. My wife and I (before we were married) participated in a Disney Obon where we danced and all that. We even had Gepetto tell my wife her shirt is too short and she had to pull it down (this was pre-babies of course) in a very Disney way.