newbie_fastpass

Started by rosie123, May 28, 2015, 03:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosie123

hi all,
we are new to all this, so apologies if this question is silly!!

we are going in sept for 3 days staying in New York. there will be 2 adults and 2 children (8, 6).  Can you tell me please how the fast pass works.  when we go into the park in the morning, do we use fast pass to 'book' a time later that day for a ride and can you use the pass to reserve more than one ride at a time? can we reserve 4 times at one ride (for all of us together)?  thanks so much in advance.
I looked up fast pass on dlp site and it says we get VIP fastpass for staying in New York hotel, I have tried to see what the difference is between fastpass and VIP fastpass but can't see what the difference is, I would be grateful if someone could let me know the benefits of the VIP fast pass please?

also we have half board, what would be the best time to book dinner, when the park closes at 9pm, do all the restaurants close then too, or can you book dinner for 9pm?

sorry one other question - can you let me know where I can print a map of the park with rides etc, to help plan our days. ..........many thanks

r

never2old

Hello and welcome to the magical world of Disney :)

For the fastpass, it's really simple. On the rides that do fastpass, you'll find the FP machines usually near the ride entrance. You swipe your park tickets, and a ticket with your FP time is printed out (one ticket per person). You then go back to the ride at your allocated time, and go in through the FP entrance. The times that are being assigned to the FP are also indicated next to the machines, so you can see for when the FP will be before you actually get one. If you get all the tickets at the same time everyone in your party will get tickets for the same time (or with 5 minutes difference, but since you get a 30 minute window you can still go all together)

Usually you can only have 1 FP at a time; the time from which you can get another FP ticket is printed in the ticket (either as soon as you've used your fastpass, or 2 hours later, whichever comes first) Meaning that if at 11:00 in the morning you get a fastpass for say BTM for 12:15 - 12:45, you can get another fastpass for another ride from 12:15. Or if at 11:00 you got a FP for 14:30, you can get a new FP from 13:00 (I think it's 2 hours later, someone correct me please if I'm wrong).

I usually send my DH ahead to go and get the fastpasses for all of us, while I stay with my daughter.

For dinner, table service restaurants stop accepting people (or reservations) 1 hour before the park closes; counter service ones remain open until park closure (though you need to check the particular opening times for the restaurants for closures). If you want to have dinner after the park closes (and don't forget Disney Dreams, the night show - that will be at 09:00 and runs for about 20 minutes), your best choice is either your hotel, or the Disney Village (plenty of restaurants there). If you want a table service one though I would always book in advance (you can do it in your hotel)

Best place to get lots of info about the park and all rides is DLP Guide, you'll find lots there (including restaurants and rides closures)

The New York is a wonderful hotel, I'm sure you'll have a magical time!!

rosie123

Thank you so so much never2old for taking the time to write such an informative answer.  really appreciate it.
I have now got my head around the FP and restaurants.
thanks so much again,
r

grovesie

If you have you stay planed you can pre book your meal times 30 days in advance. call Disney Dining Reservations

Christine747

Are there any passes you can purchase to access the front of the line for all rides? Planning a list minute weekend birthday treat for daughters birthday so any advise will be greatly received

DisneyRon

Quote from: grovesie on May 28, 2015, 04:15:59 PM
If you have you stay planed you can pre book your meal times 30 days in advance. call Disney Dining Reservations

60 days actually, but only if you're staying at a Disney Hotel (which they are), if you're staying off site then it's 30 days. ;)

stifle

Quote from: Christine747 on May 28, 2015, 05:02:39 PM
Are there any passes you can purchase to access the front of the line for all rides? Planning a list minute weekend birthday treat for daughters birthday so any advise will be greatly received

No. It doesn't work that way. You need to queue up or use FastPass, like everyone else.

Guests in the most expensive rooms at the Disney hotels, or any room at the Disneyland Hotel, get an additional FastPass per day which can be used on any ride with a FastPass queue, any time except 1pm-4pm I think. For the Castle Clube and Suites, the pass is called VIP FastPass and has no limit on the number of uses – but can still only be used at the rides with a FastPass queue which are (from memory) Peter Pan's Flight, Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain Mission 2 (currently closed), Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast, The Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, Rock n Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith, and Ratatouille l'Aventure Totalement Toquée de

Occasionally, VIP FastPasses show up for purchase on eBay but they are not sold by Disney.

Unless your child has a disability (and you have appropriate medical evidence of same) it is necessary to queue up for all other rides.

I can confirm that as mentioned above by never2old that if you get a FastPass with a return time more than 2 hours in the future, you will be able to take another FastPass after 2 hours.

Christine747