7 hour road trip or folkestone hotel? Advice please!

Started by Mrsya, May 18, 2015, 12:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrsya

Hi all. I'm looking for advice from all my lovely fellow forum buddies... Hubby and I can't decide whether to do what we normally do and drive the 3 hours from home, tunnel crossing (10:36) then 3 hours from the tunnel to DC all in one go, OR stay in Folkestone Premier Inn the night before and get an earlier shuttle (8am)...

Pros and cons for both e.g extra cost, better nights sleep at home, another bag to pack BUT only 3 hours to Paris once through tunnel, earlier into park, less rushed etc. Main cons of going earlier are not being able to check in cabin early and not being able to unpack cases and get cot set up as would be arriving before check in. Main pro being able to split travelling in half and having extra time in the park on day one.

Me and the Hubster have gone over and over and over his tonight but there are just so many variables. Advice please...! What do any fellow Midlanders/Northerners do?

polar vixen

We ate very much in the same position. And always stop over the night before, ,  there's a chance your cabin may be ready early,  if not you could go to the parks with luggage still in the car,  or enjoy the site for a bit after your drI've, go for a swim,  let the kids lose in the play area,  n be all ready to stop your bags of a son as you get access,  we find it makes the first day sooooooo much more relaxed,  so your not worn out on the first day of your holiday.

~sarahjayne~

We've done it both ways and I much prefer staying in the premier inn the night before. One year our 3 hour trip to Folkestone actually took us 6.5 hours because of an accident on the motorway. We usually get there early, have an early night and get the train around 5:30am.

polar vixen

n for future trips, the further you book in advance, the cheaper the rooms generally are.  We usually get a Travelodge for around £27 a night

ilovemainstxxx

hi there

we always used to leave our house at 6 pm drive through the night and get to Disney for 6 am , in time to check in have breakfast at Cheyenne and in parks for emh ...

hubby hurt his leg a few years back so made the trip down south in the day and took our time , stopped in a prem inn then made our way on an early ferry , dont get there till dinner now but to be honest don't think we would do it any other way now....just more relaxed and the tiredness doesn't hit any more

then we book a prem inn again for return journey so get the most out of the last day too , and we usually get a room for £39

Mrsya

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I think we're going to bite the bullet and try and change our tunnel crossing to an early one... Just got to decide on best family room now.

Any recommendations for either premier inn or travelodge. Need a family room, both about £80.

~sarahjayne~

We stay in the premium inn 5 mins from the eurotunnel. Staff have always been great, we've ate in the restaurant, rooms were comfy.

Mrsya

That's the one we're looking at. Do you know how early they start serving breakfast?