Autograph books & Mickey ears - are they worth it?

Started by Lucyloo, March 13, 2015, 01:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucyloo

First trip in a few weeks with hubby & 3.5yr old boy.  Is it really worth getting an autograph book and dreams ears?  I don't want to sound stingy but I'd rather spend money on souvenirs we'll keep.  My son won't want to meet any of the princesses so is it worth it?  The ears might look great at the time but it's all about the atmosphere - do they have the same appear once your back home?

Thanks +

disneymagic006

Hi following this thread as would also like to know if the dreams ears are worth buying. Re: autograph books a cheaper option is to handmake one before you go or get one from eBay. We have never been too bothered about getting autographs though, we like to capture photos with the characters. We did once have a funny interaction where tweedle dee tried to autograph my sisters face, I found this hilarious as a kid haha 
1992 - Newport Bay
1994 - Newport Bay
1997 - Sequoia Lodge
1999 - Davy Crockett
2002 - Santa Fe
2005 - Davy Crockett
2008 - Santa Fe
2010 - Sequoia Lodge (January)
2010 - Newport Bay (August)
2015 - Cheyenne
2017 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest stay booked for 5 nights July 2017. Excited for the 25th Anniversary!

Lucyloo

Yeh I'm a big fan of photos too.  I intend to get loads, plus some film and I've also bought the photopass+.  That's why I'm thinking the autographs might be a bit of a waste.  Absolutely love looking back on pictures.  :)

twentythingamabobs

Hi! We have never done autograph books or the Disney Dream ears! Personally, I think the ears are way overpriced and because not too many people tend to buy them you dont even get a good effect from them at Dreams time (IMHO!) We were given a sheet with the characters's signatures already on it when we went to City Hall for our EAC so I think thats why we have never really done the autograph hunt - I can definitely see the appeal though! Someone on here put pictures up of blank autograph pages that looked really good, if you wanted to save money i'm sure you could print those off and bind them together!

lovindisney87

My daughters are 11 and 6 and they love doing their autograph books, they get a new one each trip and on our last visit in Jan 2014 pretty much filled their books due to it being so quiet. Its not just princesses in fact I think only 2 or 3 were. They had all sorts from rafiki and baloo to peter pan and Wendy, they also use them as a keepsake so it kinda doubles up, they love showing grandparents and friends who they met on their visits. As for the dreams ears, we brought them each a pair on the first day we got there but then didn't stay due to us being wet from the rain and tired from the journey, then we forgot to take them back in again oops lol. They are quite big and bulky as well so they wouldn't have worn them around until dreams and it would have been another thing to carry for me. They are now sat in their wardrobes doing nothing so in my opinion the dreams ears were a waste in our situation.
If you do decide to do autograph books, I suggest taking a few biros you have at home or pick some up as they brought one each only for them to run out so last time I brought a pack of thick biros from our pound shop and took those in my bag saved us a little money there  ;D
[size=150]Disney trips
Many i cant remember from childhood including a 2 week holiday to Disney World in Florida

Davy Crockett Ranch November 2003
Santa Fe October 2010
Santa Fe March 2012
Cheyenne January 2014
Cheyenne January 2016 😁
Davy Crockett Ranch January 2019

Hopefully many more to come

msRavenswood

Not many people buy the Dreams Light Ears, mostly because of their cost. It's in sync with the show, but when you get home it just changes colors. You can use it as a nightlight I guess. It depends on each person's tastes, but I'd rather spend the money for something else. So far I haven't been tempted to buy the hat, I like the glow with the show Minnie headband more but I probably wouldn't  buy this either.

HildeKitten

I haven't done autograph books in ages.
I loved them as a kid though, and I helped out a friend who had one and was collecting autographs for a disabled girl a few years ago in his book (because I was meeting characters he wasn't so we passed the book around between the two of us) but that was it.
I do, however, buy an autograph book from time to time because I love the practical format and the paper is excellent for sketching. So as sketchbooks they're actually quite good I think, if you like that kind of paper and format of course :)

daddyof2

I'm not normally one to criticise others' posts but I would disagree with taking biros and take a couple of thick bullet tip marker pens - you can get them cheaply from a pound store - as some of the character's chunky fingers aren't good at gripping thin pens. My wife found a print at home autograph book, with each characters page having something for you to say to the character. My daughter loved it when she said to Woody that he had a snake in his boot and he hopped around

minnieme

We always take an autograph book. I buy them each trip from the Disney Store before we go and buy a chunky Disney pen to fit with the big hands of most of the characters. The kids love it.

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel

buzzkaye

we get an autograph book each time we go ,cause the kids love doing it ,the mickey ears ,i bought 4 just under 2 years ago ,when we go back i have taken them but tbh if you are out all day ,they are heavy to carry around, or we say we will go back and get them but dont ,they are a good keepsake ,but tbh i wdnt take them or buy them again

seraphelle

We get an autograph book each time we go and the girls love filling it up, as long as they enjoy it I'll keep buying them as I think they're nice little keepsakes. We bought Light Ears the first time we went and loved them, and as I've admitted on here before, sometimes watch videos on YouTube of Dreams in the dark with our Light Ears on  ;D ;D ;D We didn't take them back with us the next time we went and didn't buy any more. They are a bit pricey but we're a bit daft like that, and we do enjoy our home shows  ;D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

Mitchell

Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

Lucyloo

OK, I've given in.  Just ordered son an autograph book off ebay.  Plan to present it to him at the airport as he doesn't know where we're going yet!

Thanks all +

Beltane

Save a page opposite the autograph to stick your pic of the event in, we started this tradition when my daughter was 3, she's 12 now and I thought she might be "too grown up" this time, but she wants to recreate some of the pics from our first trip ! 

grovesie

Here's what I did with our autograph book and character photos.  I went to the Disney store and bought a pack of snap playing cards, these had nice pictures of the characters. We asked the character to sign the card, took a photo and placed them side by side in our own album. The packs of cards aren't much, £3. If you have 2 kids, great the pack contains 2 of each character.