Breakfast for lunch...Cheapskates!

Started by garybrett, February 26, 2015, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garybrett

Hi there, just booked our first DLP trip for October half term in the Hotel l'Elysee Val d'Europe. On lots of reviews for the other hotels people suggest they have bagged up cheeses, jams, fruit etc with rolls to take out of breakfast for lunch in the parks.

Is this common practice in all the hotels, do they simply accept visitors doing this, anyone have experience of the Hotel l'Elysee Val d'Europe and whether they allow this at all?

Many thanks

Gary

caspdex

Dubious at best in the Disney hotels, but a definite no in other hotels.

vampira

I saw people do this at the Explorer's hotel too. To be honest, I can't imagine doing this. Okay, maybe take an apple or something, but a whole bag of food... I don't think any hotel will be happy with people doing this, but of course they don't see everything that's going on...  ???
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

seraphelle

We did this a couple of times, but it was literally a croissant or a pain au chocolat and a banana or something to keep the kids going if we had an early breakfast and wouldn't be having lunch until a bit later than usual. It was done discreetly though, and I don't recall seeing anyone packing bags full. I do however remember seeing a woman filling childrens juice bottles with apple juice and waiting staff didn't seem to bother about that.
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

daddyof2

It seems to be pretty much accepted behaviour - though what you're happy doing is obviously up to you

garybrett

Thanks all, I'm not sure I would have the nerve to do it but seen lots of entries on Trip Adviser so wanted to know. We shall be nipping over to Val De Europe for Breakfast and grab lunch bits as I am told its much better value..

grovesie

I have seen this many many  times, even at the DLH, although not the right thing to do the CM's turn a blind eye to it. I have done it many times, on a small scale. As a diabetic I take a few things to keep blood sugars level etc.

It all depends on how big your party size is and what budget you have. Using the breakfast items to make a lunch can save you a lot of money. There are 7 in our party at 12 euros per lunch each it soon adds up. We go normally for 6 nights, that is 504 Euros for lunches alone. So you can understand why its done.

MaxinUK

Absolutely common practise in my experience (one trip), no attempts to hide and no issues with the staff who seemed to happily turn a blind eye.  After observing it all round us on the first morning we adopted the attitude of 'if you can't beat them, join them!

I think in most people's eyes it is maybe considered fair practise and undoubtedly built into the prices (which again given the cost of DLP might explain why most I guess have no scruples about it) - certainly when we were at the Newport Bay the sheer mountain of croissants etc endlessly replenished means they must buy these in bulk for pennies.

I don't know how many will admit to snaffling away a bit of brekky 'for later' as above but there can't be many of us here who don't have a few Mickey eared shampoo bottles in the bathroom cabinet at home and there is really no difference...   ;)

HildeKitten

Its common practise.
I have to admit I've taken the occassional croissant along to eat in the park later, but never a whole bag of food.
I wouldn't do that, that's going a bit far.
Mind you, with the prices DLP charges for food, and considering that if your budget only allows you over the counter stuff your choices pretty much are junk food, junk food and more junk food, It's not surprising people nab breakfast foods so they can limit their junk food intake to once a day.
So I do understand where people that do it (as in take a proper lunch, rather than one thing and a piece of fruit) are coming from.

Queen Elsa

We stayed at the New York last year and we saw lots of people doing it! I wouldn't be able to do it myself, it's so cheeky x

sarahmumof4

We've done it it on our two trips staying at the santa fe.
Everybody I know who has been before said to and countless people were doing it whilst we were there .

Same again at the adagio , we did it and so were many others .
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

Gorneesh

We have done it ourselves a few times, but not really bothered the last few years. Last time we went we saw a woman fill up a 2L Coke bottle with Pure Orange juice from the dispenser, it took ages and everyone was moaning.

littlebitofpixiedust

I think once we took 2 small yogurts for my son and some warm milk in a bottle for my son. I don't think it's much of an issue to take a roll/croissant but I have seen on many occasions people taking piles and putting it into cool bags ect infact on our last stay at the Santa fe the staff were serving the cheese/ham (wich I've never seen done before and we've stayed on every on-site hotel) so I could only assume they were trying to stop some of it?
This caused a problem for people who just wanted some to eat for breakfast I only usually have a few cubes of cheese and 2 rolls, but the que was so long I didn't bother for the cheese.
The orange juice was constantly running out but what staff didn't see was the same family filling up 2ltr bottles. Personally I take my own drinks in my suitcase and few small bottles in my bag, I wouldn't want the weight of 2 ltr bottles carrying around all day long?

ewormas

I really despise people taking food for later in the day. We've been over thirty times and I've never once taken any food for later.  All that will happen is that breakfast will be removed from the holiday package. And in case you are wondering we certainly aren't well off ( I'm a single parent) but I know how to save the money for food on holiday, and if I couldn't afford to buy food later on in the day I wouldn't go on holiday at that time.

littlebitofpixiedust

I'm a single parent also  :D
And still afford at least 2 trips a year, its all about being careful. We take snacks and drinks for during the day and we've always done this and have been visiting since I was 13 and now 27  ::)
And we usually skip lunch due to taking bits and pieces from home, but always have a good sit down meal in the evening.
I do think your right they may remove breakfast from the package some people do "take the mickey" a little too much.