Newbie advice needed please.

Started by Jo, January 30, 2015, 02:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have had a good read and found some great advice but have a few questions if its ok to pick your fantastic brains?

I have a feeling this could be quite long and I'm sure I will think of more once I get started so....

We are looking to book our first family holiday and there is so much to think about. It will be me and my husband and our three daughters aged 9, 6 and 3. We have booked time off work in the summer holidays from 27th July to 10th August. Plan so far is to stay at the adagio aparthotel and get annual passes. We live near Portsmouth and want to take the car so eurotunnel or ferry.

I have been to DLP before as a teenager on a family holiday about 20 years ago and me and my mum also took the oldest two children in 2010 before they were at school and we could go when it was cheaper and not so busy. We want to save as much money as possible but do have some savings to use, as it will be our only holiday for a while I want it to be as special as possible.

So any tips on travelling there, which would be the best option and how is the drive to Disney once we are in France? How does my plan sound anyone stayed at adagio before?
My husband speaks quite good France and we would like to travel in to Paris, probably by train.
I know the parks will be really busy but I think with annual passes and two weeks we should be able to see everything we want to?

If you are still reading, thanks for sticking with me, all advice greatfully received.
Jo

Rapunzelwannabe

Hi Jo!

I live near Portsmouth too (Havant). We went to DLP last week - drove the car via euro tunnel. Defo recommend it. 2 hours to Folkstone (we stayed at Ashford travelodge the night before) - Took about 35 mins on the train and then about 3 hours to DLP - it was 3 main motorways pretty much whole way there. Didn't enjoy French drivers as it seems ok to tailgate which makes me nervous!! Pretty straightforward though. I can't advise re hotel as we stayed at Santa fe but if you're going for 2 weeks you'll have plenty of time to see and do everything.

Hope that helps
Disneyland Paris - January 2015
Disneyland Hong Kong - September 2007

Jo

Hi,
Thanks for the advice about eurotunnel, I am the only driver but have driven in France once before, we will try and take our time so that the journey is an enjoyable part of the holiday.

I have another question, could anyone advise which of the faster rides might be suitable for my eldest? I know about the height restrictions but not how fast/ tame the rides are. For example, if we go to Chessington World of adventures she likes the run away train but did not enjoy the vampire ride and said she never wants to go on it again! (bad mummy persuaded her).
Thanks
Jo

naisworld

Hi. I love near Portsmouth too (Emsworth)! We always drive up to Ebbsfleet and get Eurostar but that's only because neither of us wants to drive in France! You will have plenty of time to explore the parks if your going for 2 weeks. I would definitely read up on using the fastpass system as it will be very busy that time of year. Also I have found the resturant guides and menus on the dlpguide really useful for planning and budgeting. Have a great time! X

sarahmumof4

Hi ,
I'm in southampton so not far from you .

We've been three times and are going again next December .

First two trips we went on the eurostar ( my parents came ) and last feb I drove . I went with friends so followed them .
We went to dover and got the ferry from there ( shorter crossing time than portsmouth ) .
The drive in France was really easy and about three hours .

We are flying in December , my kids have never been in a plane so thought we'd try it .

As for rides , there's plenty of rides for all ages .
We go to Chessington a lot and my three older kids ( 14,10 and 8) love the vampire so like fast rides .
BTM is similar to the runaway train at chessington .
Last year my youngest who was just 4 was finally tall enough to go on it and he loved it .
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

Jo

Great thanks for the advice so far, seems there are lots of Disney fans nearby!
Sarah what was the adagio like when you stayed there?

Also thinks about annual passes does anyone know if you can buy them in advance or will we have to get them when we arrive? When will we know the block out days further on than March?
Thanks
Jo

sarahmumof4

Jo , we stayed in the adagio 2 years ago and it was fine .

I'd read load of reviews on trip advisor beforehand and was dreading it as they were all bad , however we thought the place was fab .
It's since had a refurbishment .

There were 7 of us , me , my 4 kids and my parents .

The apartment was spacious and served us well .

If I was just going to disney I wouldnt stay here again purely because I like being able to walk back to the hotel . Getting the shuttle was fine going to disney but coming back it was a scrum . First shuttle we didn't get on , even though we were there first , as everybody just shoved past us ( my youngest was in a buggy ) . I think with two adults it would be ok but I was on my own as my parents went back early each night . I didn't want to get on the shuttle and then find one of the other kids were left on the pavement .
In hindsight I should of got a taxi back !
The apartment was good having the kitchen / dining area . I stayed in the park all day but my parents came back and cooked themselves a meal .
Val d'europe shopping centre is literally next door .
I only went in once as far as McDonalds but my parents said it was huge with a massive hypermarket .

I think the adagio is in a good location for you with disney being close by but also near the station for going into paris .

I'd be interested to know how you get on and with annual passes as well as I think in a few years I would like to do the same as you .
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

amanda08

Hi :)

If you buy your AP from Disney you will get a 20% family discount because you are buying 5 passes. The cheapest option for you would be the Francilliean pass. On the French Disney site, all of the blackout dates are showing till 2016. I have just checked and the francilliean has not black out dates between 10th july and 22 august. The only restriction is that you can not use then the 2 days AFTER the day you buy them. So you can enter the park on the day of purchase and then could spend the next 2 days sight seeing. AFter this there are no more restrictions.

These passes cost 129 euro each, which would be 103.20 euro each so in total about 388 pounds (with the current exchange rate so quite a bargain!)

Otherwise if you did not want to have the 2 day no use restriction you could get the Fantasy Pass which would come to about 508 pounds in total for all 5.

Hope this helps!

Amanda

amanda08

It is also worth mentioning that the Fantasy Pass gives access to free parking and also to EMH whereas the francilliean does not. If you were not bothered about EMH it may be worth buying 1 fantasy to get the free parking and francilliean for everyone else.

Jo

Hey sorry I've not been back online for a while.

Thanks for all your help so far.

So I think we will go for fantasy passes to get EMH and then have the option of taking the car too. Going to book a ferry as although it takes a bit longer the children will enjoy it more and then hopefully we won't have to stop in France.

Just got to finalise everything then decide how and when to tell the children!

Any other tips still great fully received
Jo