Debating on Season

Started by cyrilthemilkman, January 05, 2015, 06:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyrilthemilkman

Hi all,

The wife and I are looking at taking the kids back again (well not just the kids!!), we last went in january 2014, literally to this day we went. All the christmas stuff was still going on, so we 'experienced' all the christmassy stuff, although was a bit weird.

This time we are not sure whether to go actually over christmas leaving here on 23/12 and returning around 28/12, or going out on 28/12 returning after the new year.  Or something completely different and do Halloween, we've never done halloween, and done NYE the year after WDS opened so they're both more appealing to me than the christmas season.  I'm guessing NYE isn't going to be much different to christmas time stuff, just open longer, and with a few extra things laid on.

I'm really tempted with Halloween, anyone who has been in both seasons, what are your thoughts?  Are there any extra 'things' laid on for Halloween night, and would these be suitable for kids, or is it adult only?  My kids don't easily scare and aren't fooled by things (refused to have a picture with the characters last time as they're just, and i quote them "men in suits, as they're all just cartoons") so its not like they would be too bothered by the shenanigans if there are any.

Thanks guys.

littlebitofpixiedust

I have been Halloween season and Christmas season. But not Christmas day or Halloween day specifically so it was quiet. I love Christmas season it's so pretty but if you've already seen some of Christmas maybe quite nice to try Halloween? The weather on our last october trip (early oct) was lovely no rain and warm enough for just tshirts :)

I think every season offers something different and it's nice to try them all! I'd be interested in your decision

We are trying february half term first time ever and may first time ever this year where I think they did swing into spring last year so that'll be new for us. We've only ever done march/oct/dec.

twentythingamabobs

We have done Halloween for the past few years and the Soiree has always been the highlight of my year! The atmosphere is brilliant, so many things going on in all different lands with things you never normally see in Disneyland - this year there were tall robots who chased you around, a sort of Star Wars themed band, a disco with Goofy DJing... that was just Discoveryland!

Last year was our first Christmas visit (21st-24th) and it was unbelievably beautiful and magical, it felt so special! But if you've already experienced the Christmas season I cannot recommend the Halloween Soiree enough, especially if you get dressed up, it is so much fun and definitely surreal!

cyrilthemilkman

Halloween it is then!! Will soiree be suitable for kids?  Apart from the staying up late.

I see the French school holidays are on at the time, does this increase the crowds in the park?  Not adverse to it being busy, in fact it would be nice to have a few more visitors to give it some atmosphere than previous times i've been.  But don't want it stupidly busy where I have to queue for over an hour for things like PoTC or BTM.

twentythingamabobs

Yes, it is definitely suitable for all ages, there is nothing really scary about it, it's all just really good fun. It is normally very busy on Halloween itself and the Soiree always sells out. To be perfectly honest though, we have a disabled child in our group who has an Easy Access Card so I don't normally have a true idea of queue times etc so can't advise on that part.

littlebitofpixiedust

If your not restricted to half terms then visiting early october would be ideal the crowds are pretty low then and the villains and other Halloween things are still going on (decorations parade ect) I've watched Halloween night the party wich I think you have to pay extra for? And looks amazing! Have fun :)

twentythingamabobs

Yes, the Halloween Party itself is extra - think it might be around 40 euro per person?? We have a Dreams annual pass so get a discount on this. Littlebitofpixiedust is right, the villains, decorations and music are fab so it is still a great time to visit even if you don't go to the Party.

tinkswishes

Quote from: twentythingamabobs on January 07, 2015, 04:28:17 PM
Yes, it is definitely suitable for all ages, there is nothing really scary about it, it's all just really good fun. It is normally very busy on Halloween itself and the Soiree always sells out. To be perfectly honest though, we have a disabled child in our group who has an Easy Access Card so I don't normally have a true idea of queue times etc so can't advise on that part.

I was thinking of taking my kids but had been advised by several people it's not suitable for children, it's  lacking  in entertainment and gets ridiculously busy.

What entertainment etc do they have suitable for children?

DLPWonders (Banned)

Quote from: tinkswishes on January 23, 2015, 01:00:59 AM

I was thinking of taking my kids but had been advised by several people it's not suitable for children, it's  lacking  in entertainment and gets ridiculously busy.

As a Halloween Soiree veteran (I've been 6 times, last year included) I really wouldn't recommend it for small children.
A few years ago that was no problem. It was a little more quiet and lots of entertainment.
However this all changed. It's still a great night but not ideal for small children.
It is indeed crazy busy, you can barely walk without bumping into someone else. And all there is are characters.

There's a 20 minute show on Royal Castle Stage, which is absolutely amazing. But not really interesting for little kids.
Then there's a disco party in Discoveryland, definitely not for little kids at all.
And last there's Goofy's Shake Your Bones Drums show, which again isn't interesting for small children.

So there's 2 shows (both fun to see, if you're older) and a loud disco party.
Apart from that there's only meeting characters. With queues for over an hour at each character.
Yes you can also see Dreams, the cavalcade and the Villains promenade, but they are all the exact same ones as during the day.

So there are a few things to do. But do you really want to spend so much money, and drag small children into a huge crowd, just so you can see things that aren't suitable for them or things you can see in a less busy crowd during the day? I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.
°o° DLP AP holder since '08 - DLP CM 2016  °o° Character catcher | Addicted to books, tea and old musicals | Unconditional love for John Hughes, Woody Allen, Tim Burton, Judy Garland and Helena Bonham Carter. | ''She's a flower child with a rock 'n roll attitude.''

captain rocket

I thik everyone is focussing too much on the soiree, of course it will be stupidly busy, it sells out so the park is full! My It is also on a Saturday this year which just adds to the crowds.
As you have been at Christmas a few times my advice would be to try Halloween, I have been 6 times for Halloween and five times for Christmas and my opinion is that Halloween just nicks it from Christmas, last year was one of the best yet and I love the decorations on Main Street!
Whichever one you choose i am sure you will have a great time.

vampira

Since you already experienced the "Disney-Christmas",  would say try out the Halloween season. ;)
I have been once during the Christmas season and once (last year) with Halloween season (never on the actual holiday, since I don't like big crowds.  ;) )
I personally prefer Christmas, because of all the beautiful decorations and the atmosphere. But Halloween was definitely fun too! You can't really know which you like best, unless you've experienced both.  ;)
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

princessmya

im deciding on visiting on the 1st week of november which i believe is bonfire week does anyone know if there are any school holidays on that week or will it be pretty quiet
my 2 youngest dont have alot of patients and are not very good in crowds (autistic)
thanks

polar vixen

We've been that first week of November before,  queit's weren't too bad at all,  just don't forget to get yourself an easy access card to help so you don't have to queue to long for rides etc and we found it useful to carry around pictures of the restaurants we were going to eat at /rides we were going to do,  so we could at least give or boY's a few minutes notice so they had chance to prepare themselves and nothing was to unexpected.

amanda08

Quote from: DLRPWonders on January 23, 2015, 08:54:04 AM

As a Halloween Soiree veteran (I've been 6 times, last year included) I really wouldn't recommend it for small children.
A few years ago that was no problem. It was a little more quiet and lots of entertainment.
However this all changed. It's still a great night but not ideal for small children.
It is indeed crazy busy, you can barely walk without bumping into someone else. And all there is are characters.

There's a 20 minute show on Royal Castle Stage, which is absolutely amazing. But not really interesting for little kids.
Then there's a disco party in Discoveryland, definitely not for little kids at all.
And last there's Goofy's Shake Your Bones Drums show, which again isn't interesting for small children.

Apart from that there's only meeting characters. With queues for over an hour at each character.
Yes you can also see Dreams, the cavalcade and the Villains promenade, but they are all the exact same ones as during the day.

So there are a few things to do. But do you really want to spend so much money, and drag small children into a huge crowd, just so you can see things that aren't suitable for them or things you can see in a less busy crowd during the day? I wouldn't recommend it to be honest.

This is a big generalisation!! I have been with my DS at ages 5, and 8 and he LOVED it, I also know plenty of other people who go every year with their children and have a great time.

tinkswishes

Quote from: amanda08 on January 23, 2015, 03:37:00 PM
Quote from: DLRPWonders on January 23, 2015, 08:54:04 AM

This is a big generalisation!! I have been with my DS at ages 5, and 8 and he LOVED it, I also know plenty of other people who go every year with their children and have a great time.

Thank you I asked here because I got the same response everywhere else I asked, just be the same person and I wanted a few other views too