Space Mountain: Mission 2 enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by *TIMMIE*, October 07, 2014, 09:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*TIMMIE*

Space Mountain to close at 15th of januar

Looopings has a news item on the long awaited rehab of Space Mountain. The rehab will start on january 15, and will take 6 months. Space Mountain will get new MK1212 trains from Vekome. I did similar trains in Walibi, and they were a great improvement. Hopefully Space Mountain benefits equally.

Besides rumour has it that there will be invested in theming. Also Hyperion will be undergoing rehab.

Great news. However a slight detail; Space Mountain will be closed on its 20th birthday

Discovery_Mountain

I really hope they return it to its former glory!

I'm sure they must know how much fans want it back to De La Terre à La Lune and how people were really disappointed by Mission 2.

I would love to do something like Space Mountain: Retour à La Lune (Return To The Moon) They can use that if they want, I don't mind.

My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

Spacepilot

Finally... they have to restore quite a bit. I'm hoping for mission 1 with a twist and enhanced effects to bring it to it's former glory and up to date for 2015:

-Bring back that nostalgic retro-future Jules Verne feeling!
-Original entrance (with the moon) and poster
-original lightning on the outside at night (at the top: green, red, white, sparkles), which was magical and far better than the "toned down" version displayed right now
-cannon effect and blastoff sound
-original area music
-the "space gallery"
-new trains with better and louder (and working) speakers
-original ride music (maybe with a twist)
-new/enhanced effects and a combination of old mission 1/new theming
-new safety video
-more theming when waiting (if you still cant see inside the ride like originally intended)
-general refurbishment of the building

Things to keep from mission 2:
-lower launch position in cannon, some additional comet effects

Please no pixelated projections like the supernova, We need the original moon with the face or something realistic, but really really good looking. If it's a projection, it could/should be a really high resolution animation (4K or more) "hologram" or an animation displayed on an invisible 3D screen (without glasses).
-Get rid of the red vortex at the end (because you can see the track that way)

Fingers crossed :-)

Discovery_Mountain

Quote from: Spacepilot on October 08, 2014, 06:15:08 PM
Finally... they have to restore quite a bit. I'm hoping for mission 1 with a twist and enhanced effects to bring it to it's former glory and up to date for 2015:

Agreed! I really hope the moon comes back and all the original scores including the area music too.
My Disneyland Paris Trips:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 (1 Day Trips)

March 2012, 2 days at Kyriad Hotel
June 2013, 2 days at Dream Castle Hotel
December 2013, 6 days at Sequoia Lodge
December 2014, 6 days at The Disneyland Hotel
December 2015 6 Days at Sequoia Lodge GF

Planned Holidays:
February 2016 - 3 days at Sequoia Lodge GF
November 2016 - Walt Disney World  (Maybe)

msRavenswood

Rocketeer

Do they have that observation platform still in the Mountain? I remember going in there back in '95, it was directly opposite the Vidiopolis. I don't remember seeing it the last time I went.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney

Spacepilot

No right now its completely covered up and used as the fastpass entrance.

A&S&O

We were told that the cannon "boom" had to be turned off because there were too many complaints from residents who obviously didn't notice it when they were looking to buy their houses!).
As a compromise to them, maybe they could have it booming certain times of the day, or certain days of the year?

Agree that it should be put back to how it was. Mission 2 was very disappointing - just seems like a standard rollercoaster in the dark, can't think of any memorable features.
Is it my imagination, or did the transition to Mission 2 coincide with the ride becoming very painful (head banging especially)?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Spacepilot

Quote from: A&S&O on October 09, 2014, 11:30:43 AM

We were told that the cannon "boom" had to be turned off because there were too many complaints from residents who obviously didn't notice it when they were looking to buy their houses!).
As a compromise to them, maybe they could have it booming certain times of the day, or certain days of the year?

Is it my imagination, or did the transition to Mission 2 coincide with the ride becoming very painful (head banging especially)?

About the "boom": Really? That's just BS imo, if I can't hear the boom standing on main street (as far as I remember), surely residents living outside the disney property can't hear it.

I don't know when the ride became painful, but personally I never knew what's the big deal, smooth enough for me. Nonetheless, I'm happy it get's new trains.

david

Six months doesn't seem like long enough to have a full theme change (even though we all want it) so i imagine this'll just be me trains and a couple of new props. Does anyone know how long it was closed when they changed it from de la terre a la lune to Misson 2?
Still- new trains will be a big improvement!

evil cod

Quote from: davidrsykes on October 09, 2014, 03:49:49 PM
Six months doesn't seem like long enough to have a full theme change (even though we all want it) so i imagine this'll just be me trains and a couple of new props. Does anyone know how long it was closed when they changed it from de la terre a la lune to Misson 2?

According to Wikipedia (So grab a handful of salt before reading):
"The original version of the ride, Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune, closed in January 2005 and the theme was changed to Mission 2, planned as a continuation rather than replacement of Verne's classic, where the rider is taken further into space on a new adventure. The track remains unaltered. The new onboard audio track was composed by Michael Giacchino, and the refurbished attraction debuted on April 9, 2005."

So if thats correct only about 3 months!

david

Quote from: evil cod on October 09, 2014, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: davidrsykes on October 09, 2014, 03:49:49 PM

According to Wikipedia (So grab a handful of salt before reading):
"The original version of the ride, Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune, closed in January 2005 and the theme was changed to Mission 2, planned as a continuation rather than replacement of Verne's classic, where the rider is taken further into space on a new adventure. The track remains unaltered. The new onboard audio track was composed by Michael Giacchino, and the refurbished attraction debuted on April 9, 2005."

So if thats correct only about 3 months!

No way!! Well if that is true then a retheme sounds very possible! Bring on the moon!

Esti

I think most people didn't really care they changed the theming. Only hardcore nerds like us ;)
I do hope they change the trains though. It has ALWAYS been painful. I rode the first version and I ended up crying. I didn't see anything because it hurt so much I just closed my eyes and hoped it would end. I just rode it again and it was just as painful as I remembered. I wasn't able to see anything either because I had to close my eyes and go to my mental palace again.
Honestly, I don't care about the theming. I'd just like to be able to open my eyes during the ride and see SOMETHING, for once in 10 years, and not leaving with the worst headache ever. I know I'm pretty weak, but seriously, that ride hurts like hell.

A&S&O

Quote from: Esti on October 09, 2014, 10:24:44 PM
I think most people didn't really care they changed the theming. Only hardcore nerds like us ;)
I do hope they change the trains though. It has ALWAYS been painful. I rode the first version and I ended up crying. I didn't see anything because it hurt so much I just closed my eyes and hoped it would end. I just rode it again and it was just as painful as I remembered. I wasn't able to see anything either because I had to close my eyes and go to my mental palace again.
Honestly, I don't care about the theming. I'd just like to be able to open my eyes during the ride and see SOMETHING, for once in 10 years, and not leaving with the worst headache ever. I know I'm pretty weak, but seriously, that ride hurts like hell.

Can I ask if you are short or tall? We're both short and the sides of our heads get banged between the sides of the head restraint. We rode it loads in the late 90's / early 00's, so it can't have been bad then.
Did they make a change, or have the cars' running gear just got worn over the years? As I said before, it seemed to coincide with Mission 2.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

mickey1980

I'm 1,82m normal posture and get an instant headache after riding this thing. Not fun at all.
Was there during the first year it opened (1995) and at opening party of Mission 2 (2005). It was always rough. But not painful. My best guess (from my experience) is that it started around 2010.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018