Trip report 14-Sep-2014 to 18-Sep-2014 (Report Complete)

Started by DisneyRon, September 14, 2014, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyRon

As I type this up I'm once more on board a Thalys, speeding towards the Netherlands.

Dinner last night at the California Grill was wonderful, I had a soft-egg starter that turned out to be a whole lot more filling than I anticipated followed by a 12-hour Slow-cooked rack of lamb with Cous Cous with a hint of citrus.
After the wonderful lamb it was time for dessert, and like my first time, it looked so spectacular that it was almost a shame to eat. It's called "The Temptation of Snow White."
The smoke comes from a small chunk of dry ice in the "potion"  underneath.

After this wonderful meal I met up with Andy once more for a few drinks and chatting about our respective days in the parks, winding away the hours into the night.

After walking Andy back to Sequoia Lodge and walking back to DLH I went to bed.

My planned long nights sleep was rudely interupted when I woke up at 5 in the morning with my throat almost swolen shut! :o I called the frontdesk for a doctor, and with the help of a CM set up a call to the French emergency services. They sent over a doctor (who arrived in 10 minutes, rather than the CMs estimated 90) and he diagnosed that I had an acute case of viral tonsolitis. Nothing too serious, but very unpleasant none-the-less. After prescribing me some medication to ease the discomfort and Disney graciously extending my check-out by a few hours I went back to bed.

I woke up at around 9:30, went downstairs to the lobby, asked the reception to have the prescribed meds delivered, had breakfast, packed my bags, dropped them off at the luggage desk and eventually checked out of the DLH. By now my medication had also been delivered so I picked those up along the way.

The time was now 11-ish and I finally went into the park. :D First thing was my VIP trip on Pirates, as the queues had grown to about 20 minutes for the ride. Next up was Peter Pan's Flight with my final DLH Fast Pass. :)

Time was moving apace and it was only about 40 minutes to my Lunch reservation at Walt's.
So I decided to wander around mainstreet a little, watching Mary Poppins penguins do all kinds of antics with their fans. :) And shedding a quiet tear about the fact that I was about to leave this place. The food at Walt's was great as usual,  and after leaving the restaurants I made a final round of Main Street as it was almost time to go to the train station and head back to Paris Nord to catch my Thalys.

So far the trip has been uneventful, and I hope it stays that way. :D I've had enough excitement for a while. :P

Addendum: The train trip home was entirely uneventful and I made it back home at around 21:40.

lindavdende

Nice to read a trip report of the days i was there. Waitingtimes were very low tuesday and wednesday. Tuesday we did ratouille (twice), TOT (twice), crush coaster (twice), rock and roller coaster, rc racer, parachute drop, studio tram Tour and lunch all before 3 pm

Did you notice the power faillure yesterday? All rides (besides toy story land and fantasyland) went down around 4.30 pm. Took them about a half hour to fix the problem. After that they slowly started the rides again. Tot was open very cast, but crush didnt reopen to 5.50 pm

DisneyRon

Quote from: lindavdende on September 18, 2014, 08:20:24 PM
Nice to read a trip report of the days i was there. Waitingtimes were very low tuesday and wednesday. Tuesday we did ratouille (twice), TOT (twice), crush coaster (twice), rock and roller coaster, rc racer, parachute drop, studio tram Tour and lunch all before 3 pm

Did you notice the power faillure yesterday? All rides (besides toy story land and fantasyland) went down around 4.30 pm. Took them about a half hour to fix the problem. After that they slowly started the rides again. Tot was open very cast, but crush didnt reopen to 5.50 pm

I noticed mainly because all the lights at L'Auberge de Cendrillon suddenly went out. :)
Didn't have any ride troubles, mainly because I hardly did any that day. ;)
Later in the evening we had another brief failure, the DLH went dark for a few seconds.

Andybear

Quote from: lindavdende on September 18, 2014, 08:20:24 PM

Hi.  I was on Slinky in the Studios when the power went.  At the time we didn't realise it was everything - an announcement was made that Slinky was dizzy and was taking a rest for a while!  We got let off after about 10 minutes.  I then went to Ratatouille and that was down too and a few minutes later I heard someone say that the power was down in the 2 parks.

I had what started off as a not too nice start to the holiday.  I stayed at Sequoia Lodge and since I was alone I'd booked a Montana room in the main building so that I didn't have to walk through all the trees etc at night.  Unfortunately when I checked in I was told there were no Montana rooms available!  I wasn't happy and to cut a long story short I eventually agreed to go in one of the Lodges (Big Sur) and as compensation I was given a VIP Fastpass for the whole 5 days!  It actually worked out great in the end as Big Sur is one of the closest Lodges to the main building and of course being able to walk on Ratatouille and Peter Pan in a matter of minutes whenever I wanted to was great  :D

I'm home now and will do my own trip report over the next couple of days, when I've been through all the photos.  I'm so glad I booked the whole week off work - I can do a bit of food shopping tomorrow morning then chill out for the rest of the day. 

jimtrim

Looks like you had a great time Ron - great report and that poison apple desert 'thing' looks pretty darn cool!:).. never seen dry ice with a desert before at Disney... :D

... drawing by day, dreaming by night, Disney fan all the time!:)
http://www.jimtrim.co.uk/

DisneyRon

Quote from: jimtrim on September 19, 2014, 08:23:05 AM
Looks like you had a great time Ron - great report and that poison apple desert 'thing' looks pretty darn cool!:).. never seen dry ice with a desert before at Disney... :D

It's a spectacular dessert, but a bit of a mess to eat, you only get a spoon for the final course, and that "apple" will slide all over that glass dish while you're trying to dig into it. You'll need to use your hands to stop it sliding off.

It's a ball of light mousse (not entirely sure on the flavour, no strong overtones in there) with a vanilla ice-cream core, and the whole thing is covered in red sugar. It tastes heavenly I might add.

Just before this was served a group of ladies with their children was seated next to me, they had just been given the menus (iPads with a custom app), and when the waiter brought that beauty in, one immediately asked me where in the menu she could find it (it's in the Tinkerbell Menu) because she wanted one too.

After finding out that would mean having to pay extra she decided to stick to her Premium Meal voucher, so I recommended she take "Olaf's Laugh" instead, which is also amazing.

jimtrim

..... woah, yes I was wondering, is that 'apple' thing edible/ or part of the desert or decoration?
.. but sounds like it was really quite nice, albeit a bit fiddly/ how the heck do I eat this!? ;D, but I'm sure you managed it as best and politely as possible!:) (especially on that raise platform)
- mind you it probably looks bigger in the picture than in real life? ;)

... was something/ some pastry thing wrapped around your plate/dish that the lamb was served on?

DisneyRon

Quote from: jimtrim on September 19, 2014, 08:46:50 AM
..... woah, yes I was wondering, is that 'apple' thing edible/ or part of the desert or decoration?
.. but sounds like it was really quite nice, albeit a bit fiddly/ how the heck do I eat this!? ;D, but I'm sure you managed it as best and politely as possible!:) (especially on that raise platform)
- mind you it probably looks bigger in the picture than in real life? ;)

... was something/ some pastry thing wrapped around your plate/dish that the lamb was served on?

Eating it without making a mess was a bit of a challenge, yes. :D
The little drops of mousse around the plate were easy though.

As for the size, that ball is easily 3-3.5 inches across. ;D So it's not a small dessert, I assure you.
The plate it's on is about a foot across. It's bigger than you'd think. ;)

jimtrim

..... yes, right... so in fact, exactly what it looks like! ;D

DisneyRon

Oops, completely forgot to answer your other question. :o

The lamb and couscous is served in a bowl with a closed pastry top, and the waiter cuts it open for you when it's served.

BlackPearl

Wonderful report and pictures!  :D Thanks for sharing them.
I'm getting hungry looking at that food-pictures! And the temptation of Snow White, wow!

DisneyRon

Quote from: BlackPearl on September 19, 2014, 07:32:01 PM
Wonderful report and pictures!  :D Thanks for sharing them.
I'm getting hungry looking at that food-pictures! And the temptation of Snow White, wow!

That dessert was quite something, easily the most spectacular thing I've had served to me in a very long time.

Everything about the food at the California Grill shouts quality over quantity (even though the portions are not small), though that quality does come at a price.

I'm still quite unhappy that I failed to get a picture of Olaf's Laugh, it's not as spectacular as the "Temptation", but still a gorgeous dessert and utterly delicious, and I've completely failed to find pictures of it online too.

WiteHypno

Nice report, glad you had a (mostly) lovely time.
Next time I go I'll try and save up more so I can try and eat in some of the fancier restaurants as it looks like they have some good stuff, but being a jobless student doesn't make that easy unfortunately~

DisneyRon

Quote from: WiteHypno on September 20, 2014, 06:44:55 PM
Next time I go I'll try and save up more so I can try and eat in some of the fancier restaurants as it looks like they have some good stuff, but being a jobless student doesn't make that easy unfortunately~

Thank you very much, I had a wonderful stay, regardless of what my inattention caused to happen. :)

Those fancy restaurants are very much worth it in my opinion, but you are correct that it can get pretty costly. ;) Also, those cocktails... yum. :D I normally don't drink much alcohol, but I had a fair few of Bar Fantasia's cocktails during my stay, and they were gorgeous. :)

Andybear

Quote from: DisneyRon on September 20, 2014, 07:04:59 PM
Quote from: WiteHypno on September 20, 2014, 06:44:55 PM

Thank you very much, I had a wonderful stay, regardless of what my inattention caused to happen. :)

Those fancy restaurants are very much worth it in my opinion, but you are correct that it can get pretty costly. ;) Also, those cocktails... yum. :D I normally don't drink much alcohol, but I had a fair few of Bar Fantasia's cocktails during my stay, and they were gorgeous. :)

I agree with you about the cocktails, they were yummy  :)  I thought my Cosmopolitan looked rather good with my Glow-Tini ice cube in it !!