Best cheap meals

Started by Lucyloo, September 01, 2014, 02:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucyloo

Hi All,

Due to go to DLP March 2015.  2 adults & 3yr old.  I purposely didn't book the meal plan because I didn't think we'd get our money's worth out of it.  My little boys is a bit picky and doesn't eat a great deal, he'll happily eat nuggets, burgers, fries e.t.c. all holiday.  So my question is, where are the best place s to go for a decent quality but cheap & cheerful meal?  I've considered places like Earl of sandwich & cowboy cookout for lunch, then maybe Annettes Diner for dinner.  We're staying in Golden Forest at Sequoia so hoping the afternoon snacks will keep us going, and I plan to take snacks and nibbles along too.  Any thoughts please?

jackieann

Hi

I really like plaza gardens. Wont need to pay for kids and has all the food you mentioned.

gemma2806

For a picky eater I would definitely recommend the buffet options apart from Agrabah Cafe as this is a Mediterranean selection more than anything else.

As your son is 3 years old though you will have to pay anywhere you eat for his meals. Meals are only free to children under 3.

:D

Rapunzel1

Colonel hathi was my five year old favourite. We also liked Hakuna Matata. We skipped buffets because we thought they were too expensive with four children. We did eat at the Rainforest cafe. Children enjoyed it there. I would have loved to try the Cowboy cookout but is was never open while we were there.

MinnieMum

We loved Earl of Sandwich! My children are very fussy. We also ate at rainforest cafe and annette's. They worked out cheaper then buffets x

Mrsya

I'll second Colonel Hathi's. Especially if its a nice day and you can sit outside on the veranda. We even sat out there in a rainstorm watching the raindrops bounce off the littłe fish pond out front. My 4 year old loved the Mickey shaped pizza and icecream meal. It was quite reasonably priced too. Another of his favourites was Buzz Lightyear Puzza Planet. A bit more expensive as its a buffet but very relaxed and he could go off and play in the soft play bit.

Lucyloo

Thanks everyone.  I was hoping Buzz would be good as my son is Toy Story mad, but I'd read a few reviews which didn't rate it much.  Think we'll try it anyway.

One other thing.  As my son is 3 we'll have to buy his meals, but as he doesn't eat much I was hoping he may be able to share some of my meals.  I understand this probably isn't possible in buffets, but for other restaurants would this be frowned upon?  Are the meals a large (like America), or standard?

Thanks x

gemma2806

To be honest I don't know how they could say anything if he shared your food. At the end of the day you are still paying for your meal and your son at 3 years old would never be able to eat enough to justify the cost of an individual meal as the portions are very big.

I would try places like Cafe Mickey where you could order a pizza for you and just share it with your son  :D

Rapunzel1

Sharing is no problem. We often share because our children do not eat that much and six drinks and six times fries is too much anyway. It was never a problem.

Of course we wouldn't share in a buffet restaurant. I do not think they will accept that but at counter restaurants it is not a problem.

itslizi

I don't feel that there's a problem when it comes to sharing food, apart from buffets as you usually pay for every person that walks through the door.

I'm a rather picky eater and I've only eaten at McDonalds, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood although for my next trip I've looked into what Disney restaurants have to offer as they are the only restaurants that work with the Half Board Meal Plan we're got.

Annette's is on the top of my list as it's simple american food, and I'm tempted by what Plaza Gardens has to offer. If you want to know what's on the menu at any of the restaurants you can find the menus at the following link http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/restaurant-menus/

Also, in regards to portion size, you could take a look through the photographs of food that have been uploaded to this thread, https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=17404.0, as it enables you to judge the portion size which is given