What's your best (and worst) restaurant experience.

Started by itslizi, July 15, 2014, 03:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itslizi

On my next visit I have a Half Board Meal Plan therefore I would like to tour the restaurants especially as the main restaurants I experienced on my last visit, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood, aren't available within the plan.

What are your best and worst restaurant experiences. I am particularly interested in hearing your experience in the following restaurants, but if you've had a exceedingly good experience or a really distressing experience in a restaurant that isn't listed, I'll still listen.

Walts - An American Restaurant
Plaza Gardens Restaurant
Silver Spur Steakhouse
Blue Lagoon Restaurant
Agrabah Cafe
Restaurant des Stars
Cafe Mickey
The Steakhouse
Annette's Diner
La Grange at Billy Bob's

vampira

Last year, me and my husband went to Disney land for our honeymoon so we chose to go to some of the more expensive and romantic restaurants.  ;)
We went to Blue lagoon on our first day and we both loved it! We both had a set menu (three courses) and we enjoyed it! The food was very tasty and as we both love fish and seafood there was a lot to choose from. They also serve other dishes but I never tried those so I don't know if they are just as good.
The atmosphere at Blue Lagoon is great. It really felt like we were on holiday on a tropical island.  :)

The next day we ate at the Agrabah café. When we walked in, I was surprised by all the food! I didn't expect that much to choose from. Also I expected the food to be the standard "buffet food", but it looked, smelled and tasted like real Middle Eastern food. (not that I am an expert, but I've been to Turkey and Tunisia and I recognised some of the flavours and spices).
The restaurant looks really nice as well and had a very relaxed atmosphere. We are definitely going to eat there again on our next trip!  :D
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

Mrsya

LotsoHugginBear

sarahh83

Best - Inventions! We ate there on Valentines Day this year .... AMAZING! food was fab, character interaction was amazing for our little boy .... felt relaxed unlike the previous night at Cafe Mickey where in all honesty i felt like i was on a conveor belt.

2nd best - Annettes Diner - we absolutely love the food there, always leave with stuffed tummys!

Worst - Resturant des Stars - food wasnt that nice, often cold too
First visit to DLP but stayed in Paris in 1993 just after DLP opened - aged 10!!

Cheyenne 13-17 Dec 2012 - amazing time for my sons 3rd birthday

Santa Fe 12-16 Feb 2014 - truly magical, Valentines meal overlooking the fireworks at the DLP hotel ... PERFECT!

Newport Bay 23-27 Dec 2015 - I only went and got engaged ON CHRISTMAS DAY IN DISNEYLAND ❤❤❤ 1st in the park on Boxing Day too ... amazeballs

DisneyRon

Best :

Food -> California Grill
Characters -> L'Auberge de Cendrillon

Worst:

well... none really, so far I haven't had a bad experience yet, food has generally been good, the service prompt and the atmosphere terrific. :)

captain rocket

Lot's of these comparisons are difficult as people are comparing full service restaurants with counter service.
For counter service I think Cowboy Cookout with its barbecue flavours and Hakuna Matata with African flavours are my favourite. The thing to remember is that all of the restaurants can be closed at various times depending on how busy the parks are! Least favourite would be Cafe Hyperion.
For the full service restaurants my current favourite is Chez Remy. I have eaten here twice and have found the food, ambience and service second to none. It seems so peaceful compared with the crowded atmosphere outside! I have always enjoyed Cafe Agrabah and never had a bad meal there. Walts has been good and bad over the years as has Blue Lagoon, indeed, where you sit in Blue Lagoon can really affect the atmosphere (Ask for a table on the beach!)
The place that I return to every visit for a good value meal is Earl of Sandwich, never overcrowded and the best value food in Disney Village in my opinion, shame it is not on the plan!

QueenDisneyUK

The only bad experience we've had so far with restaurants was on our last trip( 23-25 Nov), on our last day we had reservations for Cafe Mickey at 2pm, when the time approached, we walked all the way from the main park to the end of Disney Village to get there as quick as we could so we wouldn't be late, only for there to be a CM on the door saying "we couldn't be given a seat as there is no kitchen", we all had odd looks on our faces - I've never known a restaurant not to have a kitchen?! - we asked him to elaborate on what he meant, and he said the whole Cafe Mickey was closed due to technical problems with the kitchen. We then asked why no one had let us know - we had reservations after all, couldn't they have let our hotel(Newport Bay) know so they could let guests know or something? He apologised for the inconvenience, fair enough, but it annoyed us so much as we wasted precious park time just because no one could be bothered to let us know!  >:(

We ended up at Annette's at the end - we couldn't of asked for a more amazing meal and friendly atmosphere, we loved it! We ate at The Steakhouse the previous night and the food/service there was brilliant too. It's a shame as Cafe Mickey was on our top list of restaurants to visit, and it's completely put us off booking there again. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? Or was me and my family just really unlucky that time? Intrigued to know!  :)

DisneyDonna

Best: definitely Earl of Sandwich. Speedy service everytime we've been there. Food has always been delicious. Seriously, I cannot praise it enough. I love the packaging of the sandwiches. We've considered driving all the way to Paris just for a sandwich, they are that good!

Worst: I'm actually saddened to say this but: Au Chalet de Marionette. It's one of our favorite restaurants but service can be terrible. Staff don't speak English but that would be fine if they then tried to understand what you were saying. We needed cutlery for our chicken since we didn't get that with our meal, but they just shook their head and completely did not try to even help. Food is often cold, but mostly the staff are so incredibly rude.

Ceh

Best: inventions, really friendly staff as well. Asked for a table with view on the castle which they tried to do as best as possible. I had higher expectations of the dessert, but overall the food was delicious.

Surprising: Hakuna Matata, big portions, and really good.

Worst: plaza, also this year they don't bring the drinks any more and you have to pick a table yourself. Weird. The day before plaza we ate inventions so the difference was way too big (but that is the price as well). We picked plaza because Walts was closed, so of course it was hard for plaza to keep up. But the food wasn't good, wasn't clean etc.

Not a big fan of Agrabah as well... but no way as bad as plaza.

daddyof2

During our visit in June, we had good experiences in Café Mickey (we did lunch) and Hakuna Matata (all 4 of us enjoyed it), not so great were Plaza Gardens (not worth the £££) and Casey's Corner (good, but pricey)

faithtrustpixiedust

Best Food: California Grill

Best Character: Auberge de Cendrillon

Best Atmosphere: Blue Lagoon

Best Buffet: Inventions

I haven't had a worst yet in terms of official meals. We went for a quick burger in the studios which wasn't that nice but other than that.. no! I would deffo recommend the above options. Pricy but worth it.
1998 - 2004 - Various Day Trips to DLP
7th - 9th Sept 2014 - Hotel New York
30 Nov - 2nd Dec 2014 - Disneyland Hotel!
19th March 2015 - Solo Day Trip
21st May 2015 - Another Solo Day Trip
24th May 2015 - Day trip with Mum
11th June 2015 - Solo Day Trip
28th July 2015 - Birthday Day Trip with Family!
30th - 31st August - Family Holiday (Off Site)
20th - 21st October - Mini Trip/Audition (Ibis Budget)

mickey1980

Haven't had a real "bad" dinner experience in all my trips.
If I had to name one it would be the "Western Platter" meal at Billy Bobs. The chicken was dry and the ribs fatty.
But it only costs around €14 so it's kind of a steal in DLP terms. Would still go back if i was hungry and on a budget  ;D

Best so far has to be "Bistrot Chéz Remy". The steak they serve is so tender, it almost melts in your mouth. The service is excellent. And the setting beautiful. It was a true "experience" to eat there. And you would almost forget you are eating in a theme park.

King Ludwig's castle surprised me in a positive way. I never liked the setting. The bar looks tacky, and the giftshop just isn't on Disney standard. But after reading so many positive reviews I gave it a go, and it was actually good. The menu is a nice variation from the burgers all other places offer. I had a Cesar salad and Charolais steak tartare (i like to live on the edge  :P) and it was quite good. The 1L of Weißbier made a nice dessert  :-[

For buffet style we always choose "Agrabah Café". We tend to go there on the last day of our stay when we're sick and tired of fries with everything. All you can eat Döner Kebab, Couscous and Baklava YUM!!!!
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

stifle

Interesting topic!

Best for me has to be Bistrot Chez Rémy. The steak is simply wonderful and the setting is great too.

My worst experience was in the Blue Lagoon. Our waiter was just really poor. Service was very slow and when we ordered two soft drinks, one of them was so full of ice that we only got around 15cl instead of 33cl and we had to call over a manager to get the rest of what is an expensive beverage.

CitrusZing

Best restaurants: Blue Lagoon and Bistrot Chez Remy.

Worst: Agrabah Cafe - it gave me a dodgy stomach and made me unwell on my birthday. I usually have a strong stomach.
Plaza Gardens made my boyfriend unwell on our last trip.
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).