New logo for Space Mountain

Started by Kristof, October 09, 2004, 11:11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

PAT_MAGIC

I have to say that it looks great however i don't think it really fits into the whole idea of the Jules Verne theme of the ride and discoveryland.

Anthony

These shots of the logo look like they are from a TV ad.  I'm guessing there will be TV ads for the ride, and if they look anything as cool as this i'll be very very happy!  :D

Kristof

I really dislike this logo design.  It's something that would fit perfect in the Studios, but not in Discoveryland.  I know a lot of people will disagree, but it just doesn't feel right.

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"I really dislike this logo design.  It's something that would fit perfect in the Studios, but not in Discoveryland.  I know a lot of people will disagree, but it just doesn't feel right.

I know it doesn't feel right, but it's the only way they can make this revamp financially viable.  If they stuck with a logo like the old design then it's just not very exciting or modern and just wouldn't attract enough people back to the parks to make the millions spent on this worthwhile.

I'm about 95% sure that the actual logo to be featured on the attraction (signs, trains(?), etc.) won't be as "Armageddon-ish" as this is.  You can see the compass point-style spikes there, and I think these will have more impact on the final attraction logo, giving it more of a historic (but still exciting) feel.

experiment627

Folks, calm down: I guess it's just for marketing purposes. Nothing that will really stick.
And for that, it looks mighty cool.

Do you guys see that super nova in the back of the writing? I also like the planets that are surrounding it.

I'm really curious at how they pull this off.

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"Folks, calm down: I guess it's just for marketing purposes. Nothing that will really stick.
And for that, it looks mighty cool.

Indeed.  This logo is probably the best we've ever had for DLRP, and even if it doesn't fit with the old theme of the ride enough, then don't worry because as I said before it's fairly likely they'll alter it a bit before using it on the attraction itself.

For a start i think they'll add something along to the lines of "To the Edge of the Universe" as a sub-title, and the compass-style design you can see in the second logo could look really great if they add in the extra points (NW, NNW etc.).  IMO the current sign at the entrace to the ride could do with a bit of sprucing up - the letters are hard to read because of the materials used, and it doesn't look as good as this logo COULD. ;-)

On a similar note, they covered up the SM logo in the station not long ago, so it looks like they're definately preparing to change the logo there.  I wonder what they'll do with the old one?  I hope they keep it somewhere safe...  :)

experiment627

And look at it this way: with the ride's current logo on each and every train, they just HAVE to rehab them  :wink:

Kristof

I still don't like the logo, even for promotional use only.  But on the other hand, I'd be happy with the refurb of the ride's moontrains.  :wink:

experiment627

So why don't you like it?

I think it may point to a very promising future for our Discoveryland...

Kristof

Quotea very promising future

That's what I don't like...

Anthony

If you want to see a larger version of the logo, then download the desktop wallpaper from here:

http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/dlp/dis ... /index.htm

experiment627

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quotea very promising future

That's what I don't like...

You're serious??? I mean, there's a brand new attraction on the horizon and a major Space Mountain rehab definitely coming ... For the first time in years, Discoveryland sounds exciting again.

Kristof

It looks like mission II is a sequal to the current attraction.  (Disney on it's best!)

Press release: (from Baloo's website)

Space Mountain: Mission 2
A whole new adventure

You're psyched. The adrenalin is pumping. There's no turning back. You have been chosen to crew Space Mountain: Mission 2, the most ambitious space adventure ever dreamed up. And the fateful moment has arrived...5-4-3-2-1...lift-off!

Suddenly the G-force crushes you deep into your seat. You're powerless. A wave of vibrations rip through your entire body. Yet above the roar of the rockets you can still hear your heart hammering louder than ever before.

What does this journey to the edge of the universe hold in store for you? What new twists, turns and loops lie ahead? You are embarking on an intergalactic joyride with no foreseeable limits, a maverick trek to unknown frontiers. A high-speed sense-tingling odyssey into endless, deepest space.

In seconds, you've already overshot the moon, leaving it far behind.

Piercing through the starry crust of our galaxy at blinding speed, you hurtle past a brightly coloured nebula.

Suddenly, without warning, all is calm. You feel your whole body drift into the eery weightlessness of zero-gravity, a sensation you have to experience to believe.

Then wham! Your rocket is knocked off course as you slam through the frozen head of a comet. Now you're out of control, heading for mega trouble of the explosive kind. And by the way, which way is up?

After some hair-raising evasive action, you have to make a sudden death decision: do you risk being swallowed up by a fiery supernova, or take a chance on the mysterious hypergate that appears just ahead.

Heart in your mouth, you go for it.

Will you and your fellow crew members make it? In any case, you'll have seen first-hand what no astronaut has experienced before.

With space-inspired theming and activities in Disney hotels and restaurants throughout Disneyland Resort Paris, there's never been a better time to prove you have the right stuff as a fully-fledged space traveller.

Space Mountain: Mission 2 lifts off on April 9th, 2004 only at Disneyland Paris. Zero hour: 9am. Don't miss the countdown.

Anthony

I really like the storyline being a kind of "after the first successful mission..." because it links in with the old ride and doesn't completely destroy the wonderful experience that was created 10 years ago.  I just hope that this second mission doesn't take place too long after the first one.  I'd hate to have props and decoration in SM:M2 that look like they're from Armageddon: SFX.

I can't wait until next April though, this could just be slightly more exciting than LOTLK!  :D