DH's - Cash card registration @ check in

Started by Livvipivvi, May 03, 2014, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livvipivvi

Hi all,

I know it seems to be pretty standard practice for hotels to put a hold on some funds in your account when you use a card to check-in.
I was planning on doing this though, in case we decide to charge to our room in HNY.

Does anyone know how much the Disney Hotels typically ring-fence in your account please?  Also, if anyone has done this, how long
does it take for them to free up the funds if you use another card to pay your bill at check-out?

TIA

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

Princessjo

We have scanned a card before but I don't think they hold an amount? I thought they just kept details so you could charge things to your room and if you left without paying they would charge that card?
Give a little whistle

norhel

Haven't done it at DLP, but when I did it at WDW they put my credit card info on file, and did not put any hold on my card.
They will however probably check that it's valid though, possibly by run a transaction/reservation on 0 euro or something like that.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

daddyof2

It's common to take your details (should you run off without paying for stuff you've charged to your room) but I don't think I've ever had a hotel take any money from you or anything. Never heard of "ring fencing" funds either

bad-pink-tink

usually its prepaid cards that hotels put a hold of money on. For example if you book the hotel using a prepaid card loaded with 500 euros, they will put a hold on whatever your room bill will be, for example sakes, lets say this comes to 200 euros.   This means you really only have 300 euros to spend on your card. If you pay your hotel on check out with cash or another card, the money is then unblocked from your prepaid card. Hotels do this with prepaid cards to cover themselves in case you don't pay for your room when you check out.

If you just use a regular bank card to book your hotel room, the hotel will have have your details on file from checkin Everyone usually does the normal procedure of checking out and paying for the hotel room when they leave. Most people don't realize they don't have to tell the hotel when they leave. As the hotel has your card details, from check in, they will just charge your card for your stay. Technically on your last day, you can just walk out of the hotel without checking out. You don't have to hand back those  plastic electronic key cards either, hotels just want you to because it costs them to replace them.

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Livvipivvi

Okies thank you all, thats a great help.  I was thinking that I would have to have extra back-up funds just for the amount they hold.

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on May 03, 2014, 06:25:53 PM
usually its prepaid cards that hotels put a hold of money on. For example if you book the hotel using a prepaid card loaded with 500 euros, they will put a hold on whatever your room bill will be, for example sakes, lets say this comes to 200 euros.   This means you really only have 300 euros to spend on your card. If you pay your hotel on check out with cash or another card, the money is then unblocked from your prepaid card. Hotels do this with prepaid cards to cover themselves in case you don't pay for your room when you check out.

If you just use a regular bank card to book your hotel room, the hotel will have have your details on file from checkin Everyone usually does the normal procedure of checking out and paying for the hotel room when they leave. Most people don't realize they don't have to tell the hotel when they leave. As the hotel has your card details, from check in, they will just charge your card for your stay. Technically on your last day, you can just walk out of the hotel without checking out. You don't have to hand back those  plastic electronic key cards either, hotels just want you to because it costs them to replace them.

Ah right, thank you for posting, this makes more sense now.  We are using a pre-paid card for our spending too, so I'll make sure that we store our bank cashcard with the hotel when we check-in and just use the pre-paid card to pay off any charges before we leave :)

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!