Tower of Terror - in English?

Started by cdd89, March 24, 2014, 12:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdd89

Hi,

I went on the Tower of Terror today. For a change, I thought I'd ask the Cast Member if it would be possible to have the elevator in English (I read this was possible on Wikipedia!). But I was just given a blank look and told "no".

Does anyone know if the English option exists and how it works? Is it only offered if enough guests are English? Personally I think the dialogue makes such a big difference to the ride that they should have either made it bilingual, or split off languages like they do for Stitch Live.

C

littlebitofpixiedust

Hmmm you've got me wondering now and I have ridden many times I know sometimes I've heard the pre show in the library in English and French but I really am now wondering if the ride itself is French Everytime? Lol.

spacemountainplatypi

Our last trip we went on the tower of terror about 10 times (because I'm a huge fan of the twilight zone show) and we got it in English three times. I think they only do it  when the majority of the people are English. And I was  very shocked to find out is they also have the ride in English, not just the pre-show.
"From Time to Time" -Le Visionarium.

Hey, i'm also a D23 Gold Member.... SO THATS FUN!

________Past Trips____________
3 Times in 2001, Twice in 2002, Twice in 2003, Once In 2004, Twice in 2005, Once in 2007, Twice in 2008, 3 times in 2009, Twice in 2010, Twice in 2011, Twice in 2012, Twice in 2013, Once in 2014. February 26-28, 2017.  December 3-6, 2017.

Next Trip: September 2018.

Alexz

I went on it 4 times when I was there and got it in English one time. I heard from other people that the information in one of the elevators is in English and that they only use it when it's a lot of guests and when they think it's enough international guests in a group.
My previous Disney trips:
Tokyo Disneyland: March 1998
Walt Disney World: March 2008 /*\ New Years 2011 /*\ April 2013 /*\ October 2015
Disneyland Paris: September 2013 /*\ July 2015
Disneyland California: August 2016 (Honeymoon)

Upcoming trips:
Disneyland Paris: Spring 2020?
Walt Disney World: 2021 or 2022
Hong Kong Disneyland: -
Shanghai Disneyland: -

captain rocket

It's pretty much hit or miss as the cast member makes the decision what language to use and it seems to be pretty  unscientific! I have nearly always found, having ridden the Tower many, many,  times that there is usually an element of English involved! You can always ask the cast member a question to establish you speak or understand English and that may lead to more English in the preamble.
I am against seperate elevators for English speakers as it could lead to a longer wait whilst they try to fill the elevator. If you want the pre show in the library in English, you can always ask when you go through the turnstiles if they can help. If all else fails, perhaps us lazy English should try to learn a little more French!!!! (me included!)

cdd89

Thanks for the interesting replies!

I've been on the Tower of Terror (in Paris) 4 times now. The first time I had the library in French with English subtitles, but the ride in English; the second time it was the converse (the library was in English with French subtitles, but the ride in French). And on the two times I visited today, both the library and the ride were in French.

The library in French is annoying because the of the bad dubbing against the footage of Rod Serling.

I wasn't really that bothered (since I firstly speak a small amount of French, and secondly have been on the ride enough times to know the dialogue backwards...), but this time I was riding with a friend who didn't speak any French.

I guess there could be a lot of better systems. Maybe it could be in English on "odd" hours of the day, and in French on "even" hours? Or maybe they should have re-worked the dialogue to be bilingual.

captain rocket

I don't think odd or even would work, you still have to queue and you could start expecting English only to find it had changed by the time you make the ride! The obvious answer would be to have one library presentation in English and the other in French then when you leave the library go upstairs from the one on the left and stay on the same level with the one on the right. Having said all that, the French are not famous for their tolerance of non French speakers! Evidence the withdrawel of the classic Vincent Price narration in Phantom Manor, to be replaced with a French soundtrack!
I still enjoy the ride whatever language is used!!

Wedmad

I spent a week at the resort in January a few years back, the park was very quite and we went on the tower far to many times.

By hanging back in the library and then standing near the doors to the library in the boiler room where you can hear the sound track from the library the soundtrack is alternate French then English then French etc.....

Because we rode so many times we got talking to many of the cast members and asked about the library and the lift soundtrack, the cast members confirmed the library is alternate and cast have no control, but the lift is chosen by the cast member that closes the doors, they said they chose by how many of each nationality is riding.

To the OP may be they said no because most riders were French when you asked?

dejmurph1

I find that if you ask nicely and chat to the operators that they will always give you the English language version. Just my experience, never been refused in all my years visiting the attraction.

spacemountainplatypi

Quote from: dejmurph1 on March 27, 2014, 12:34:05 AM
I find that if you ask nicely and chat to the operators that they will always give you the English language version. Just my experience, never been refused in all my years visiting the attraction.
Same with me.
"From Time to Time" -Le Visionarium.

Hey, i'm also a D23 Gold Member.... SO THATS FUN!

________Past Trips____________
3 Times in 2001, Twice in 2002, Twice in 2003, Once In 2004, Twice in 2005, Once in 2007, Twice in 2008, 3 times in 2009, Twice in 2010, Twice in 2011, Twice in 2012, Twice in 2013, Once in 2014. February 26-28, 2017.  December 3-6, 2017.

Next Trip: September 2018.