Inventions v's Cafe Mickeys

Started by Livvipivvi, February 14, 2014, 06:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livvipivvi

Hi all,

We are going to DLP for 4 nights and I'm looking into booking table reservations for our evening meals.  I've already got the tickets for the Buffalo Bill show for one evening so I'm looking at what to do for the remaining 3 nights.

We have got Half board plus vouchers.  I was thinking Cafe Mickeys and inventions for 2 of the nights.  I know we will have to pay on top of the voucher value in inventions, but I thought that it would be worth it for the experience. But someone I know, who has been to DLP lots of times has said that they don't think that Inventions is worth the extra cost. They say that the Cafe Mickey meal will be basically the same thing (as far as the characters go), so spending the extra money for inventions is a waste and that we would be better off keeping the money and spending it elsewhere.

What does everyone else think?  Is it worth it?  Is there anywhere else that we should be considering? This is a special holiday for us, we've never been to DLP before and I don't know when we will go again, so it is really important to me that ourselves and more importantly our DD's get the best experience that we can give them, so we don't mind the extra cost if it's worth it, but we don't want to waste our time and money either.

Many TIA  :)  x

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

Mitchell

Recently the characters have been the same old really at Cafe Mickey (Normally a handful out of Chip, Dale, Mickey, Minnie, Eeyore, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Geppetto and Goofy) occasionally Rabbit, Daisy or Pinocchio appears, but thats not a regular occurrence.

Although recently Baloo has been seen there quite a bit and I've seen online that King Louie and Smee have met there, so maybe it's changing again :)

From what I've read Inventions is definitely worth it, you get a mix of the VIPs and popular other characters (Genie, Suzy, Perla, Gideon are all known to appear randomly), so I'd say it is worth it, plus there's a buffet so you'll always find some food you like
Jun 2004, Dec 2006, Mar 2015, Aug 2015, Oct 2015, Feb 2016, Mar 2016, April 2016, June 2016, August 2016, October 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, June 2017, October 2017, December 2017

Next trip: June and July 2017

jackieann

Hi there,
I had been to mickey cafe pretty much every trip (9) I think and the I started to resent the prices of the food and also horrible uncontrolled children spoiling my children's interaction with the characters.   On our last visit we went to inventions and I really enjoyed it, yes its expensive but i guess it depends how much you like the characters.. its so much calmer and there was no children running around after the characters like they seem to in mickey cafe.  Food wise I enjoyed it there was a lot of fish which is not to my taste but there was still plenty of food 
I did like.

I would recommend you try it and make your own judgement.

Enjoy
Jackie

Nicknocks

I have been wondering this to, but it would be for my birthday meal. I know I will be traveling with my 2 children but the idea of sitting with other people's darling children is not one that appeals.

LotsoHugginBear

I like both restaurants but comparing them it's not that easy.
Both of them offers charakter dining and during my visits there were nearly the same characters in both restaurants. But the food and atmosphere are very different. Cafe Mickey is very busy and very very loud especially when there is a day with many birthdays. At the Inventions buffet it is much more relaxing. At Cafe Mickey they offer pizza, pasta, steak and food like this.  The buffet at the Inventions offers a lot of fish and seafood and french speciality as well -  if you like such things you will love it there.

laylanmummyluvdisney

Ive also been wondering the same i think we definatley will be doimg cafe mickey

And inventions will be decided when i figure out if theres something il eat being the only one of our party not keen on seafood
Hotel New York                          September 2005
Sequioa Lodge                 June 2014
Cheyenne                   October 2015

**************next trip************
Santa Fe             September 2017

kelliejayne

They are both good but we personally prefer inventions because it is more relaxing and a welcome break from the hectic parks. The character interaction is excellent too x

polar vixen

What time does the evening buffet start at inventions, and do characters actually come around the tables?  Is it the same standard characters? and what's the difference both character and food wise with the evening buffet and the brunch?

justlikeidreamedit

After visiting Café Mickey on each of our trips over the past 10 years, we have noticed that the standard of food and service has deteriorated considerably each time and the prices go up. Last time we also did Inventions and although it was more expensive it was worth it for the time with the characters and the standards provided. It will be Inventions every time for us now.

tubbsy

Inventions dinner starts at 6:00pm
The characters come around to all tables. There is more space, it is calmer-I have seen Mickey dance with little girls and then pose my two older ones in different poses-which was fab.
In Cafe Mickey they come up, pay the kids a bit of attention and dash off.
We had one dodgy experience last year in Inventions. But this was due to other guests and the manager and other CMs couldnt be more apologetic.If you can stretch to it, go to Inventions.
Oh and the view is beautiful too :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

loulou169

We are going on the 31 march 2014 and had booked cafe Mickey but after some thought I've cancelled and booked Inventions for 7.30pm on the day we arrive. From what I've read on here I couldn't face eating somewhere that is overly busy and stressful. Also, the thought of eating decent food wins for me too!! I'm on full board plus and have been trying to work out how much extra I will be paying ontop of my vouchers. Also, is the wine list expensive? I went in DLRP Magics site and a glass of wine is €24!! Is that correct??!! I suppose of that's the case it stops people getting drunk as they wouldn't be able to afford to!! Lol
Santa Fe: Oct 2011
Santa Fe: Oct 2012
Cheyenne: Apr 2014
Hotel Kyriad: Mar 2017
SLGF: October 2017
Santa Fe: Feb 2018

LotsoHugginBear

24€ is the price for a half bottle of wine, not for a glass.
It's not really cheap but as you say they do not want to get the people drunk.
At our last visit we had a botlle of white wine - a Sancerre if I remember it right - an this bottle was about 30€.

loulou169

Quote from: LotsoHugginBear on February 19, 2014, 12:05:27 AM
24€ is the price for a half bottle of wine, not for a glass.

That's seems a little bit better! I thought €24 a glass was a lot but because the meal isn't exactly cheap nor would the wine!! Tbh though even half a bottle is too much for just me!!

I have to say this is one meal I'm really looking forward to (and The Blue Lagoon!) x
Santa Fe: Oct 2011
Santa Fe: Oct 2012
Cheyenne: Apr 2014
Hotel Kyriad: Mar 2017
SLGF: October 2017
Santa Fe: Feb 2018

tubbsy

Oh My Word!
Blue Lagoon is just.......
Well, it tops our list! The food, the atmosphere, the waiters..... Love this place!

Our other favourite is the Steak House in the Village at lunch time, with Patrick as our server.Rather specific there, but he makes the meal :) Very funny man. Last time we went he was trying to do Professor Layton games with my son!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

polar vixen

What's the difference between the food at the brunch and the food at the evening meal (both at inventions) and is there any difference in the characters?