We're home - highs & lows 27th-30th October

Started by staceylc, October 31, 2013, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staceylc

Got back last night. We stayed at HNY & travelling was me, DH, DD (4) & DS (8 months)

Highs -
Meeting Ariel - this was DD's highlight of our trip. It was well worth the 90 minute queue. She chatted to DD for about 5 minutes & got loads of photos.
HNY - after reading mixed reviews I was a bit apprehensive. We've previously stayed at NPB, SL & SF so was wondering if it was worth the extra money. It was! No scrum at breakfast, the room was nearly double the size of the one at SF & they provided kettle for free For me to prepare the babies bottles. And that short walk was a god send.
Dreams - just amazing & shed a little tear at the tangled bit.
Dinner in Inventions - the character interaction was amazing. Tigger played hide & seek with DD & Gideon stole a mobile phone from the table next to us & one of the waiters dragged him back in by his ear & made him give it back. Our table was at the window so we could see straight into the park.
Lights on the buggy - this made our life easier. We could find each other easily if we got split up & loads of people were commenting on how great it looked.

Lows
Crowds & queues - I knew it was going to be busy but the ride queues were loooooooong. We didn't do many rides during the day & waited until after 6. We also missed out quite a lot. Didn't get on Dumbo, teacups, carousel, Casey jnr, Discoveryland (except Buzz), railway, we missed the Halloween parade every single day!

Annette's - this is usually one of out favourite places to eat but this time we were so disappointed. Burger was dry & not up to the same standard as usual. I don't think we'll go there again.

Agrabah Cafe - This is more of a mid. The food was very good, very tasty but the service was terrible. I was told on arrival that drinks were refillable (they weren't). After waiting 20 minutes at our table I had to go & find someone to bring our drinks over. Then at the food they had run out of most things, then they ran out of plates. There was a lady queuing behind me with 2 disabled people and a French lady pushed in front of us (we'd been waiting for 10 minutes). When I told her she was pushing in she said that she was pregnant so didn't need to queue! Couldn't believe it.

My DH!!! - I can't believe I'm putting this as a low. He really doesn't enjoy theme parks in general so disneyland for him is a nightmare. He walked around the whole time we were there looking so miserable. He moaned about most things & has no patience at all. We have an 8 month old so things did take a lot longer to do than on our previous trips & there was a lot of waiting around. By the end of the trip I was an emotional wreck & couldn't enjoy myself as he was just whinging.
Next time he's staying at home with the baby. I'm planning on taking DD during the school holidays in April. (If I can afford it!)

SVioletS

I am sorry you didn't get to do many rides and most of all i am sorry your DH was so grumpy... I can't even imagine going to DLP that way... It's such a happy place! Anyway good for you you're planning to go back with DD! In a few years you will take both kids and have a blast!

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

ed-uk

We've had trouble in the past with service in the Agrabah Cafe, although on our last visit we gave it another chance and found that the service was good. The best thing to do is when the waiter takes us to our table is to ask him to bring our drinks to us straight away, otherwise we're just left there to serve ourselves at the buffet. We normally have a small bottle of wine which of course wouldn't be refillable. :(
Ed & David

Zee79

Sorry to  hear about the lows. In response to your DH low - been there and  I HAVE left mine at home and went with my two daughters and would do it again  :D  He joins us every couple of years haha.
We have found the crowds like that during the summer, much quieter early in the Christmas season and May.

Aurora1

So sorry for your not so good experiences! I know exactly what you mean. My husband isn`t that much of a Disney fan as my daughter and me. So we`ll do the same as Zee79, he only comes with us every once i a while. Works for all of us! To be honest, Disney is a place for my daughter and me It is our vacation, once a year! And he is fine with it.