Save Disneyland Paris petition

Started by Festival Disney, August 15, 2013, 01:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Festival Disney

There's been a petition floating around (mainly on twitter) for a while, asking the public to petition Bob Iger, CEO The Walt Disney Company to get his act in gear and save our European resort before it declines any further!
I thought it a good idea to share it with forum members who perhaps aren't on twitter, or who haven't heard of it.
It's worth a read!  <!-- s:thumbs: -->:thumbs:<!-- s:thumbs: -->

<!-- m -->https://www.change.org/petitions/mr-bob<!-- m --> ... land-paris
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

ed-uk

Save Disneyland Paris from what I wonder? The Walt Disney Company has always stepped in and saved DLP  when the resort most needed it, otherwise it would have closed 20 years ago when the resort faced bankruptcy for the first time. And last year when WDC bought Euro Disney's debt from the banks and hedge funds to give the company more financial freedom.
Ed & David

Festival Disney

This is the article that the creator of the petition wrote beforehand:
http://www.leparcorama.com/2013/07/14/t ... ing-story/
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

ed-uk

I've tried reading the article and I will try harder. I'm glad that fans care so much about DLP. Euro Disney should be a for profit company. Look at the Studios which has been transformed since it first opened in 2002. TOT was built and Hollywood Boulevard, Crushes Coaster, The Stitch Encounter and Playhouse Disney both in the boring Television Studio Tour. TSPL has added some much needed theming to the Studios and Ratatouille is opening next year. Nothing about Disney Dreams, the best show ever at DLP. It's the same old story about maintenance, yet DLP have been refurbishing their hotels and rightly so. The WOD store has opened  in the Village and a new Lego Store is opening in the Autumn.
 But It's a good topic anyway.
P.S Gave up with the article.
Ed & David

orangarnold

I think you have to be in the DLP know how to know the park is essentially a franchise, and because of that it won't be as the same as the parks in the US.

The park will always have a catch 22 situation of this ride needs maintenance but we can't close it down as people will complain. If you don't do the maintenance people will complain

Rafael

I have been to DLP this year and the year before and I thought the resort looked great. Disneyland Park is amazing and I could not see the horrible stuff people talk about.

gemma2806

I think that DLP do the best that they can with what they have to work with.

In WDW you don't see graffiti on the rides inside the attractions etc but I honestly think this is due to the mentality of the people who visit. I would never dream of writing on attraction walls and climbing over fences to sit on manicured lawns etc but sadly a large portion of European visitors to DLP think this behaviour is ok as is proof of the graffiti that I have witnessed on every visit, sitting on the gardens behind the railings when Dreams and fireworks are on etc and the constant pushing and shoving to get to characters etc.

As I said though this is something that you kind of expect when at DLP and you learn to deal with it. DLP have the most beautiful park out of DLP and WDW but customs and cultures vary the world over and as (I believe) DLP has a much larger range of cultures that visit their park, they do the best they can with the budget and time that they have to work with.

ed-uk

I remember when we last stayed at the NBC Hotel, a child, i assume it was child and not an adult, had taken an ink pen and drawn a stripe down the hotel corridor wall. It didn't look good, but I don't blame Disney if they can't redecorate every time someone behaves like that.
Issues about maintenance come up at the Disney Parks in America i'm sure, but on these boards we focus on DLP.
Ed & David

orangarnold

I read the article and its just sounds like one of those people who complains at everything.

torstendlp

Quote from: "orangarnold"I read the article and its just sounds like one of those people who complains at everything.

Totally agree!

Yes, there are many problems at DLP - and I there are many points I critizise, too - but the Petition is by far to harsh and overdoos almost any point.
If one wants his/her  opinion to be accepted as serious by the addressee, one should try to describe a realistic state and not a overdone one - because, if you are unrealistic and too harsh in 7 out of 10 points of your list, the addressee will be very likely to disregard the 3 realistic, too, even if it would be wise to think about them, as he expects them to be described unrealistic, too.

The Helmsman

Quote from: "orangarnold"I read the article and its just sounds like one of those people who complains at everything.

+1
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~

gemma2806

Having re-read the petition several times and having signed it myself, I can completely see where the author of the petition is coming from.

I agree that DLP is the most beautiful of parks and due to the sheer increasing volume of visitors it needs to be given more of a financial budget to meet the demands of the visiting guests, be them first time or repeat visitors.

In particular I can understand about the ride and attraction situation. When I first visited the resort back in September 2002 and then again for Christmas 2003, you had the streetmosphere acts, the Mickey's Winter Wonderland Show, the Winnie the Pooh show where the new Mickey Mouse meet and greet now resides, the Fantillusion show etc and now these have all disappeared. It would not be such an issue if these disappearing attractions were being replaced by something new or more modern but they are not. In fact you are paying more money for less attractions now a days.

As has been noticed in recent trip reports, cut backs also have started to effect elements of rides and attractions. For example the Studio Tram Tour in Catastrophe Canyon no longer has as many pyrotechnic effects, dolls on "it's a small world" that used to move now remain stationary, certain sound effects on some rides may be turned off, in "Stitch Live!" it is now hit and miss and to whether you will see a full show or a shortened version.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE DLP and would happily give my last penny ( and frequently do!!) to visit here, but given how much Disney charge to stay here, and the fact this price increases annually, you would hope to have a larger and more updated range of rides and attractions, better quality of counter-service food and better kept condition of facilities now in 2013 compared to what I experienced back in 2002.

ed-uk

At the end of the article, what the author is hoping for is that TWDC buy up Euro Disney and wipe out their debts to solve the maintenance and financial problems, that seems to be his answer to the problem.  I don't think that can happen.
When I first went to DLP there was no Space Mountain, no Indiana Jones, no WDS. I regret the cutting of Stage Shows and Fantillusion, but now we have Disney Dreams which is awesome and has been on nightly for people to enjoy, Fantillusion was only on during the Summer and Christmas seasons.
I'm not defending Euro Disney and fans are right to sign the petition if they feel strongly enough.
As yet I'm not persuaded to sign because DLP should be making a profit, it doesn't, and yet with the help of TWDC it survives, not that they could walk away from it.
Ed & David

orangarnold

Disney would never let something with the Disney name be that publicly humiliated by going bankrupt.

It is odd how the park is loosing money like it does though

daddyof2

I think there's a valid point about the attitude of some people - as a Brit, I'm amazingly good at queuing and not being rude, and of course being quietly disapproving . This isn't the same of continental Europeans - the French seem particularly good at rudeness. I will temper my comment with the fact that Swedes, the Dutch, and Germans are also pretty good human beings in my experience.