31st July - 3rd August 2013 - 10yrs later

Started by webbo100, August 04, 2013, 02:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webbo100

Thought I'd write my first review - others may find details interesting or useful !

Firstly it's been 10yrs since I visited for my 30th so it was lovely to return for my 40th !

Weather :
Wow what a scorcher - very hot everyday in excess of 30C everyday
surprising this was almost exactly the same as 10yrs ago !

Character Lunch :

We were a group of 13 - and pre-booked Cafe Mickey. Having read a few reviews, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of food. No complaints from anyone. Not many characters - Daisy, Chip'n'Dale, Gepetto (sp), Pluto & Mickey.
But they spent a lot of time at each table. Joking around with all guests. We had a baby with us and Chip'n'Dale sat down for 20 minutes with us, cooing over her and posing for photo's.
The table service was fantastic, fast and so polite.
We left a tip and the waiter was so thankful

I had booked a birthday cake - nice to see in 10yrs that it's still the same cake type !
The music plays and Mickey came over with waiters to sing Happy Birthday ! Great even at 40yrs old !

The only difference from 10yrs ago was that then I received a singing Mickey, which I still have, it's a mini plush that when you press his tummy sings Happy Birthday - it's a shame this has gone.

Accommodation :

We stayed at the Explorers Hotel - as it can accommodate such a large group and has a great swimming pool for the kids - pre and post disney relaxing !
It is a budget hotel but really it's great for price and location.
However - we had a fire alarm at 4am ! All had to leave the building and it was very poorly organised by staff, some letting people stay in the building and others making everyone leave.

The transport to and from the parks is a bit of a mission, can be very busy and very rude people pushing and shoving children around.

Disney Dreams

We managed to see it twice - both from different angles.
1st night - watched from the side around the entrance to Discoveryland.
While this is a fantastic view point - the sound is terrible and although we thought it is great, it was only when we saw it a 2nd time, that we realised what we missed.
2nd night - halfway back down Main Street. We purposely chose to be back due the crowds leaving afterwards.
It is fantastic from straight-on ! Much much better than just a firework show - just be mindful that people will put children on shoulders obstructing everyones view !
Light Ears - 20 Euros a piece !! hence we didn't see many !

Parades

I was slightly disappointed in that it seems the number of parades has been reduced. I seem to remember seeing some during the day before, however now there is only one a day in each park. We all enjoyed the Studios - Stars and Cars better than the Disneyland parade. and both seemed slightly smaller cast members/dancers on the street this time round.

The 20th Train parade in disneyland is ok - and a nice way to meet and greet characters.
Generally the meet and greets seem much better organised with next to no pushing and shoving. Although we didn't bother with the Meet Mickey or Princess Pavillion.

Now the important parts for many !

Disney Studios

Bear in mind - we were a large group of varying ages and likes. And this is the middle of the UK School Holidays.
Surprise Surprise - NO OR VERY LITTLE QUEUES !!!

Crush's Coaster ! - what a ride !! However this is the exception of the queues - very very long and at one point exceeded 2hrs !
We took very good advice and arrived two days at 9.30 - waited for the park to open at 10am. Straight on Crush then wandered around.
1st day the queue for Crush snaked right to the entrance - but it only took us 30 mins to get on.
2nd day they opened the ride immediately at the same time as the parc gates ! We were on in 15mins ! but as we got off the queue time at 10:20 was 180 mins !!

The only other queue was for Parachutes - in excess of 40 mins - but had a single rider line - which we used as it was only 10 min wait. Disappointing ride and in my opinion more scary that the ToT !!
The kids got to go on all their rides with only a max 15 min wait.
By 12pm tho the rides had increased to 30-40 mins wait. But come 4pm5pm queues had disappeared again.
Tower of Terror wait time at 5pm - 5mins - in 3 days we rode it 12 times !!
Rock and Roller Coaster - max time was 15 mins every day

Sadly a couple of rides closed at various points.
RCCars - closed - broke down for a whole day. Didn't go on it - saw someone's flip flop fall off and that was the end of that !
R&RCoaster - closed for long periods during our stay. However we managed to ride it 9 times in 3 days

By far the worst ride is the studio tram tour - so outdated now.

Largely I think the park has not changed much in 10yrs. It needs, in my opinion, a complete update to match ToyStory land and Crush. Much of it is outdated  - Armaggeodan ? Overall for me it lacks a little magic here and they could do so much more to keep you entertained.

Disneyland Park

Never fails to impress - the kids went crazy - it's just lovely !
Again no queues ! Max 20 mins for Peter Pan.
Tea Cups - 5 mins
The biggest queue was for Alice's Maze !! No joking it snaked around the maze !
Small World - 10 mins.

We got to go on every ride in the morning. Late evening again - wonderful. No surprises the middle of the day saw bigger queue times up to 50 mins.
PoTC - 15mins
Big Thunder mountain - it closed down one day - but otherwise 10 min waits
Indy - 5mins
Space Mountain - 5 mins all day everyday !
Buzz Blaster - 25 mins max.

We managed all the 'big' rides at least twice a day everyday.

What I did notice was the amount of closed seats on each ride. Every carriage had two or three cars out of order ! Wonder what's going on ?

Sad to see Honey I Shrunk the Kids gone ! Replaced by Captian EO (cashing in on MJ ?) however it's still great. but noone in the theatre ! Went twice with different parts of our group - due to child watching !. Probably max 20 people each time.

Overall we had a wonderful time - even better with kids.
I had been anxious regarding queues in August - but wow what a surprise. I think the key is get up early, get in the park and get done by 1pm. Relax at the hotel or wander around for a few hours - take in the magic.

The only differences from 10yrs ago, I really noticed was lack of characters - but it was hot ! The reduction of parades and Studio's Park just feeling a little tired in places due to the new attractions.
Overhearing lots of nationalities complaining about the French element ! Some Dutch people we got talking to were surprised about the lack of English.

It was still truly magic and wonderful - and I would recommend it to anyone !

Well we are home now ! Shattered and happy ! I hope someone else reading this finds something useful in there !