The Tubbs family trip August 2013 DAY 5,6,7 ADDED/COMPLETE

Started by tubbsy, July 29, 2013, 03:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubbsy

Morning all!
Just a quickie post. I will write my trip report in a bit-Wading through 1200 photos! I am sure I will delete loads as I was playing with my camera, but I really got to know it :D
We have had an AMAZING time. We didn't manage to book a tour. I am rather glad I didnt though as Mark and Steph both felt a bit rubbish full of cold-we just pottered around the parks and still anaged to have a great time :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

grovesie

Hi,

Glad you had a great time. I look forward to you posting a few pics on the photo of the day post

Ian

tubbsy

Well, I tried my best Grovesie-And I think I got some good pics :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

OK, so here we go guys! Lets see if I can remember everything as it was one whole week in the magic! :D

THE NIGHT BEFORE....

So Sunday night we drove all the way to Portsmouth for the ferry-such a long way to travel! 20 minutes!  :shock:   :-"   :lol:  We travelled with a smaller ferry company last time. But this time opted for Britanny ferries. We had a room with a window and, although it was small, it was perfect. The ship was big and clean and we were very impressed. We will certainly be using them again :)

DAY ONE

Although it was lovely, none of us slept well. So we awoke on Monday morning feeling a little rough-One thing to take note of, if travelling overnight on the ferry, they dont give you long from waking you up with some pretty music in your cabin, to getting off, so take something you can eat on the road! We had packed Yum Yums and brioch so were able to eat and go-others were rushing to grab a croissant and coffee whilst we were looking smug!

We jump in the car and, just as last time, Sally satnav insisted we go back, drive to Dover and come across at Calais! Rolls eyes! Mark ignores Sally for a while and heads off following other cars in the general direction of motorway signs. I sat, holding my Disneyland Paris print out (Very useful, as it has toll road prices on ;) ) and praying we wont drive through Paris again! Oh how foolish I was! Of course we drove through Paris! I just kept looking forward as Mark marvelled at the driving going on around him! Mark is experienced at driving through the continent, but Paris is ... an experience!

In hindsight, we wish that we had actually parked and gone into Paris, as by Friday, when we were planning to go in, Mark and Steph were feeling full of cold and Rob needs quite a bit of support. I really didnt feel brave enough to venture into Paris. Ah well, it gives us a good reason to go back.

(WOOHOO! Spotting the signs!)
Having safely made it through Paris's rush hour (When will we learn???) we arrived safely at NPB. :)
We popped in, picked up our park passes and headed into the Park.

First stop, city hall for Robs disability pass. The queue was HUGE! And it was very hot.
Standing in line, a lady approached us and enquired what we were queueing for. So I explained. She said "O, I was hoping to find out about fast passes. I really didnt want to stand in line for that!" So I duly explained how fast passes work!  :lol: The lady thanked me and said she would look out for me in case she needed to know anything else!
I turned round to find Steph and Mark laughing at me! "Back in the park five minutes and already helping fellow guests!"  :lol:

Once we were armed with Robs pass, we headed off for our traditional Caseys Corner lunch-very hot and very tasty :)

Then to our traditional first ride-Star Tours! :D

We were so hot by then we just walked around soaking up the atmosphere, before heading back to get our room keys :)

Back at NPB, we queued for our key, only to be told that the manager was checking our room ... Would we like to have a cold drink in the bar whilst we wait? So, we sat with our complimentary lovely cold drinks. But it wasnt long before our room keys were handed to us.

..... Well, ladies and gentlement, back in 2010, we had the most beautiful room (room 7274) with double views, lake view, where we could see ToT and the castle. I had written and explained this room had been perfect for Rob, as its tucked out of the way from the lifts and is very quiet.....
Yes, you've guessed it. We had the very same room!  :D I couldnt believe it and kept thanking the CM! She must have thought I was slightly loopy!

We went up to the room and it was just gorgeous! OK, so its not decorated yet, but it was tidy and very clean :)

We unpacked, sorted ourselves out, before heading to Cafe Micky for tea :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

Still working on photos, so will add them to the report later. :)

So off we trotted to Cafe Mickey.
A quick comment on the security tents-We were at NPB so went around the back of EoS, towards McDonalds. We had occasion to see people attemtpt to skip pass the bag check-Now most of the time, people apologised and went to the back of the queue to have their bags checked. Unfortunately, one time we witnessed someone get quite rude and aggressive towards the man on security when he called them back. I cannot believe someone could be so rude to somebody doing their job. It really made me sad to see him behave like this. The man on security was polite and civil throughout and then waved the rude guest through with a "Have a nice day!" which caused those left in line to smile. What a shame though :(

Anyhoo! Back to Cafe Mickey!
Well, we were sat within minutes of turning up. Our order was taken promptly and arrived hot at our table. We were all so hungry at this point, I dont think it would have mattered about the quality of the food, but it was very tasty!
We were sat by the conservatory and we saw characters go out there-I know people have had problem with this in the past, so it was great to see. There were even two birthday cakes which were chased by either Goofy or Tigger :)
We had the main mouse, Minnie, Goofy, Tigger and Pluto arrive at our table-Goofy decided he needed to use Rob as a table and lean on him, which caused Rob to cry with laughter!  Then Goofy attempted to eat Robs garlic bread!

The main courses were Rob-Pizza. Steph-Fish and chips. Mark-Steak and Me-Tagliateli-All were hot and tasty! Marks steak was perfectly cooked :)
This huge meal was followed by dessert! Steph and I had ordered the pineaple and fruit dessert.
When it arrived it was HUGE! The waiter laughed at us as we both looked shocked at what we had to eat!  :lol:

And then, the birthday music started! Tigger came bouncing over to the table with our waiter and the kids birthday cake! The waiter presented us with knives, but Mark asked politely to have it boxed up so we could take it away!  :lol:
We had premium meal vouchers for the week. We had presented our vouchers at the beginning of the meal. At the end, the waiter gave us two options-even with the birthday cake we hadnt used up the value of the vouchers! So either we could surrender the difference of Robs voucher, or we could pay 15 euros and get to keep Robs voucher! Brilliant! :D
We made our exit and waddled back to the hotel-Once we were all showered and sorted it was only 9:30pm, but we hadnt had the best nights sleep. It was decided to call it an early night, so we would be fresh for a whole day on Tuesday.

(So similar to a photo Rob took 3 years ago from pretty much the same spot! :D )

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

BlackPearl

Great report so far! Can't wait for more and pictures  :D

julesk

Cant wait to see pictures, loving the report so far. Taken note of Ferry you used too, thank you  :D

Fluffymilly

Fabbo cant wait for the rest! Only 84 days before we go for fireworks!!

tubbsy

Hi guys! Sorry! Lifes been a bit busy here. I promise to update over the next few days.
And I have photos sorted.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

OK, so now I have the photos sorted I need to try and remember in what order things happened!  :lol:
DAY TWO
We had breakfast in our room that morning.
(The price is now 6 Euros a head, not 10 Euros for all now, but we still decided that, rather than face the hastle in the restaurants, we would do it a few mornings. Please remember,we only go every few years. So we really go over the top with the whole experience. We wouldnt do room service otherwise.
Also, to get breakfast in the park, I asked. They were not readlily offered to us.)

Anyway, back to breakfast-Rob munched his way through croissants, whilst Mark, Steph and I had fruit salad and yogurt and cereal, with tea and hot chocolate. And very nice it was too.

Then it was into the park for EMH. Buzz was our first visit-The kids and I tried to hit the targets without letting Mark know how to get a high score....Evil I know, but lots of fun!
Then round to tea cups, before heading over to Peter Pan and the rope drop for Adventure Land. Rob had decided that he wanted to do Indy and Steph was up for it!
As the rope dropped, everyone ran for POTC whilst we pottered off to Indy. We arrived just as the CMs were letting people through, so Steph handed over her bag and she and Rob lined up for Indy.
Now, Rob started to worry as he couldnt see over the shoulder harnesses and wanted to back out, but a very nice man in the queue pointed the harnesses on the cars that had just pulled in. So Rob was happy to ride :D

Steph looking a little concerned about taking Rob on his first coaster here. Apparently, after the loop he shouted "I did it!!!" :D

Adnrenalin rush! :D
Then it was off to swashbuckle some pirates.
We were amazed to see that, after the big rush everyone made for Pirates, the queue was only 20 minutes long.

Pirates swash buckled, we headed over to ride BTM :D
HOWDY FOLKS! Please keep your hands and arms inside the train and remain seated at all times!
As to what we did then is lost on me. I believe we may have caught a ride on Peter Pan too before we caught sight of the train. We are not sure what happened, but Goofy was on the last carriage with Pluto-we didnt go hunting autographs as we had three character meals booked-but we could see HUGE scrums around all the characters, but especially Goofy. Anyway when the train came past us, ther ewas no Goofy :( I had an awful feeling the crowds got a bit over excited and he had to make an exit, stage right.

I do believe we did Peter Pan and maybe Star Tours before we then headed back to the hotel, as it was very hot and we wanted to have a rest and a swim, before heading into the Park to watch Dreams :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

The pool at NPB was a welcome sight. Rob was certainly overwhelmed and hot and a swim is exactly what he needed. So we had a lovely long swim then headed back to our room. Once I had picked up our meal vouchers for the evening, we plodded along to The Blue Lagoon.
Now ladies and gentlemen, a word of advice here-get someone else to check you have picked up the right vouchers .... I managed to pick up 4 child vouchers instead of 3 adults and 1 child! And we didnt realise until we got to the Blue Lagoon and the waiter checked them! So we're in the Blue Lagoon and our vouchers are in NPB. What we should have done is just used the vouchers and paid the difference, leaving us more adult vouchers for the week, but Mark, being the wonderful husband he is syas "I'll be right back!"

So its 6:00pm-people are taking up their spots for the parade. We are at one on of the furthest points in the park and I am thinking he is a complete loon!
So we sit at our table, right by the river and watch the boats on POTC drift past - I keep looking to the entrance every 5 minutes (Crazy-it takes 30 minutes to get through the park to the hotel, without having to jump over crowds!) And I keep apologising to the kids and to our waiter (who was brilliant and told me not to worry)
35 minutes later ... My ex soldier husband comes over the bridge with the correct vouchers! The army term is YOMP-which means to walk at speed and determination-and he did it! To NPB and back in 35 minutes!!! - Jumping over people sat on the kerb and everything!  :D/  =D>  :D/ I kept apologising profusely, but Mark said it was fine! The man is amazing! Give Mr Tubbs a round of applause!

A large beer was ordered as his reward as well as an appreciative "That was impressive!" from our waiter!

The food in Blue Lagoon was amazing! Rob had the childrens meal-He isnt keen on DLPs starters for kids, but the adults starters are so huge, he enjoyed eating my prawns! He then had pasta for his main.
Mark had a very well earned steak, Steph-pork and I had the surf and turf.

Then our desserts came!

We could hear "OOH!"s from other tables and even boats drifting past!  :lol:

Dinner finished, we waddles out of Blue Lagoon (Three courses for a week, left us feeling VERY full come Saturday night!)
And headed to Peter Pan.
We waved quickly to our friend, Carmen, who works on the ride and Rob noticed Carmens Peter Pan ride  pin. We do collect pins, but very rarely trade-so Rob decided that the Peter Pan pin would be his pin he would buy this holiday :)
So, we settle down to enjoy our ride when ..... The ride stops and the lights go on!
OOPS!
A couple of cheeky photos anyone?

We played eye spy, doing the sketch from Brother Bear "Tree, eh?" then decided to add Smee into the mix!
"Eye spy wi .. "
"SMEE!"
 :lol: Drove Steph mad slightly!
But after about 10 minutes we were on our way again :)

Then it was off to do the SCARIEST ride in the park! Hold on ladies and gentlemen!

Mark sang along, much to Robs chagrin ....

Then it was off to get a spot for Dreams :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

julesk

Great pictures, cant wait for the rest of your report  :D

PS: Need to test your knowledge of Legoland when you have time if thats ok? Plus after your detour through Paris again, any hotels you might have seen that we could stop off in next year  :oops:  Sorry to ask xx

tubbsy

Thanks Julesk-Just hanging around, day tripping, over the next few weeks, so ask away about Legoland :)
As for hotels, we did see Ibis and Etap on the way through :) I know Steph stayed in one close to the motorway with her school a few years ago. It was awful, so will see if she can remember the name of it so you can avoid it :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

We got our spot for Dreams and chatted with people around us as well as playing games-
Mark played sodukho and Steph and Rob played Professor Layton!  :roll:  :lol:

And we waited for the sky to get dark....

I dont want to give Dreams away for anyone who hasnt seen it, but it was amazing!
Rob and I had watched it on Youtube (Good ol' DLRPMagic!) but we didnt tell Steph a thing. And I am so glad I didnt! Steph fell in love with Dreams and shed a few tears over certain things that meant a lot to her, making me cry too! Soppy pair!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

gemma2806

Loving your trip report so far Tubbsy. Really pleased that you and your family had such a lovely time. You've got some lovely photos as well. I'm terrible for just taking pictures of the rides etc but after seeing yours I'll definitely take the time to take pictures of my family as it's the only way to capture those expressions!