Alicia in Wonderland: never2old (and N2O Jr) trip 23-25 May

Started by never2old, May 28, 2013, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never2old

Hello all!

Well we're back, and although not in great shape (I now find myself with a small chest infection and a week's worth of antibiotics, I blame the weather...) extremely happy after 3 magical days in Disney.

It was the first proper visit for my little girl Alicia (she turned 2 in April) and it was magical (we had been once before with her, just for a day last November, but she had a fever and slept most of the time, she didn't really enjoy it much...). Probably our most special visit yet :)

I still have to upload all my pictures before starting a proper trip report, but I'll just give you a quick summary.

Highlights:

Seeing Alicia with the characters, particularly Mickey and Minnie (she adores them) She got big hugs from them, she was so happy!! Totally magic experience for her, and for her mummy ;)

Dreams was amazing, I love the new scenes, overall they make the show a lot better (although I miss Jungle Book). Plus I was lucky enough to be able to see it from the first row, unique experience!

Lows:

Main one was the weather. We actually left home last Saturday and went to the UK for a few days to visit my inlaws, and at that time the forecast for the end of the week was good. Then it started getting worse and worse... We drove direct from the UK to Paris without stopping home first, so I didn't really have enough warm, waterproof clothes (for me at least, hence my current state... :( ) It was cold, it was wet, it was perfect November weather... On the last day (Saturday 24) it started getting better, and from what I see now it's beautiful again. But when we were there, and particularly on the Friday, it was terrible.

First update with lots of pictures coming soon!!

DisneyDonna

Looking forward to read it! :)

never2old

Day 1, part 1!

So as I said, we were in the UK for a few days before driving to Paris on Wednesday. Unfortunately we got to Paris right in the middle of the rush hour, and lost an hour in traffic before arriving to our hotel for the night, the Marriott Village (which I recommend to everyone!) Since we got there a bit late we couldn't really enjoy all the hotel has to offer, but we still had a lovely evening, and slept beautifully.

Thursday morning, we were all ready to go! There were 4 of us: my DH, my little princess Alicia, Minnie Mouse (yes, she goes wherever Alicia goes  ;) ) and myself.

After breakfast in our hotel, time to check out and go to our home for the next few days, the Hotel New York!

We had decided to splash out a bit and were staying in the Empire State Club. Check in was very good, and our room was all ready, so we were taken to the sixth floor (the ESC floor), and just a couple of doors past the ESC lounge, was our room!! We didnt linger in the room though, too much to do!!

First stop, WDS. The EMH were in the Studios (the Disney Dreamers Everywhere had DLP to themselves that morning, lucky them!!!) but by the time we got there it was almost 10 anyway.

Look at that blue sky!!! Unfortunately we were not to see that very often....

Although there were quite a few people around, none of the queues seemed particularly long (to give you an idea, Crush was only 45 minutes...) Still, with a 2 year old, the number of rides in WDS is limited... Our first stop, the flying carpets!!

Not the most exciting ride... But OK, and Alicia quite liked it. Of course it's so short that by the time she understood what it was all about, it was time to exit...  :roll:

Next, Animagique!

Alicia discovers the hidden Mickeys in the fences:

Animagique was a big hit with my little one. At first she wasn't too sure what to make of it... But when Mickey and Donald came onto the stage, she was all excited!!! She started calling out Minnie, Minnie (I should clarify, she doesn't say Mickey, she calls him Minnie...) and asking him to come over to see her!!

We thought we could go and meet Minnie in Toon Plaza, but she was there together with Mickey, and there was a huge waiting line... So instead we went to have a look around Toy Story Playland, more to walk around a bit and enjoy the sun than anything else. It was starting to feel a bit cooler, and the sky wasn't quite so blue anymore...

However as soon as Alicia saw Slinky Dog she wanted to go in... If anything I think it was because she loves dogs, and there was a giant one!! She doesn't really know Toy Story yet, but she knows her dogs... And neither my DH nor I had ever done it, so why not? Again the queue was rather short (15 minutes I think it was), so in we went.

Watching Slinky go round and round and round...

Not bad!! My favourite ride in TSPL remains the parachutes (which were closed because of the wind), but still, it's fun for little kids.

Next, another first for my DH and I, the Playhouse Disney show!

Waiting to go in

It's a cute little show, really, but they really need to update it!! It would be good to see some more recent shows being featured, like the Neverland Pirates. Still, Alicia is a fan of Mickey's Clubhouse, so she really enjoyed it. She was really impressed when all the kids were blowing and the leaves came flying down (she kept blowing for a while afterwards to see if it happened again  ;) ), and she was dancing and clapping along with everyone. I think she was a bit confused because we saw it in French, and normally she watches it in English (though she understands French very well... I should maybe explain, my poor little girl is learning 3 languages at once: Spanish from me, English from her dad, and French in her daycare... that's Luxembourg for you!! She understands all 3 and speaks bits in all, but mostly French). Still, Toodles is Toodles, and not Tourniquet as they call him in French....

Is this show even still on TV?

By now it was past noon, and we all had had a relatively early start. So we decided to go back to the hotel for lunch, which we had booked in the ESC lounge (after seeing an advert for it in the lift in the hotel). The idea was to go back to the room for a nap after lunch, so eating in the hotel was perfect!

Grey skies looming...

When we got to the lounge, it was all empty... And 1 table had been set up for us. Talk about a quiet lunch!!

The very nice waiter explained that there was no kitchen in the lounge, so they had a limited menu and they brought the food up from the restaurants downstairs.  We had a choice between 3 starters and 3 main courses, and all sounded delicious!! Plus there was a kids menu. So pretty good we thought!! Oh, and if you're wondering, shareholders discount can be applied!

For those who are interested, here's the menu:

Alicia and Minnie decide what to have

After a good and relaxed lunch, we all went back to the room, and all had a nice long nap...

To be continued!

ed-uk

The Empire State Club and lounge for lunch looks good to me. One day I hope to splash out on it myself. Fingers crossed.
Ed & David

Epcot_Boy

Nice read n2o :)  Must be extra special introducing the little one to the joys of DLrP and Disney in general :thumbs:

David

tubbsy

Alicia is a real sweety! I love the pic of her watching Slinky Dog going round.
Loving the look of the Empire State Club ... One day maybe

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

never2old

Thank you for your comments :D

Epcot_Boy, it's the most wonderful thing!! Seeing her enjoying herself so much in a place I love so much was quite special. And seeing her meeting her favourite characters... It was magical :)

TigerLily

Loving your trip report never2old!

gemma2806

Lovely trip report, I hope the weather wasn't too awful for you. That's always a concern of mine! I hope you get better soon as well!!

DisneyDonna

I always love to read your trip reports. Looking forward to the next part! :D

never2old

Thank you :) And thanks, I'm starting to feel better... It's this never ending winter that's doing me in really!! Weather wasn't so bad, I guess, when we were in Disney... At least it didnt rain all the time. When the sun comes out it's absolutely stunning....

Here's the next update: I've been having issues with my uploaded pictures, so this is taking me longer than I would have liked, apologies for the wait!

So after lunch and our nap (I think the idea was for Alicia to have one, but we kind of all fell asleep... I blame the very comfy bed!)

We had 3 objectives for the afternoon: get our annual passes  :D/  :D/ , meet Mickey Mouse, and see the parade (we knew forecast was for lots of rain on the next day, and we would be leaving after lunch on the Saturday, so this could be our only chance). And to finish our first full day, we had booked dinner in Inventions :)

One of my favourite things of coming out of the New York is enjoying this view ;)

First picture of the Castle!

It was a bit later than we would have liked (after 4 by the time we left the room) so we didnt linger too long and went straight to Meet Mickey Mouse, where the wait was 30 minutes (not too bad I guess). Great thing there is that with the big screen showing classic toons, time flies! And at least Alicia didn't get too bored... In no time we were next in line to go and meet Mr Mouse! And guess who appeared then at the end of the corridor, asking us to follow him? The boss himself!! Alicia was mad with joy when she saw Mickey :)

And Mickey was wonderful with Alicia. She was so happy, she would have stayed there forever!

In fact, as soon as we left and the door closed between us and Mickey, Alicia started to cry and wanted to go back... But we went to see the pictures, and explained that we would see him again!

By now it was raining quite heavily. Since we were right next to it, we thought it was the perfect time to go on Peter Pan. Now Peter Pan is one of the few Disney films Alicia knows, and one of her favourites, she could watch it on a loop!! So this was a perfect ride for her. And thanks to our VIP fastpasses, we went pretty much straight in :)

Now I have to say, Peter Pan has been better days... It was rather dark inside, and Neverland was completely dark! You couldn't almost see it! A bit disappointing... Still, Alicia didn't seem to mind, and I guess that was the main thing :)

Next, time to get our annual passports... So straight to the passports office, where we barely had the time to go in that someone was already calling us! It took maybe 10 minutes for us to walk out with our passports?? Extremely fast  :D  And we are now annual passport holders  :D/  =D>

Still raining quite heavily, it was time to use our VIP fastpasses again, this time for Buzz Lightyear. Probably my DH's favourite ride :)

Buzz was working beautifully!! Hadn't seen him looking that good for some time.... (spoiler: it was not to last... by Saturday he wasn't moving anymore....)

As I said Alicia doesn't really know Toy Story, but at least now she knows and loves Buzz ;) I think the next film we watch will be a Toy Story one!

We had a little bit of time before the parade, so time for another classic (and the only ride Alicia actually did on her first visit last November: Its a Small World :)

And what's not to love about this ride??

Almost time for the parade. And lucky us, the rain had stopped! As usual we got ourselves a spot around Bella Notte, we were there maybe 5 minutes before the start and got a first row place... Best place to see the parade!!

Never noticed this tile, outside Bella Notte

And here they come!

Alicia loved the parade :) In fact a little bit after she was singing and dancing like the dancers of the parade!

Dinner was booked for 8, and since the parade is now so fast without any stops, we still had plenty of time. So we thought Le Pays Des Contes des Fées was a good idea!

Except that as soon as we were sitting in our boat (we walked straight in, no queue whatsoever!!) it started to rain again.... At least it wasnt raining too heavily, but still... Perfect timing! And guess what?? Five minutes after we were out of the ride, it stopped raining...

Casey Jr was closed (I don't think it was open the whole time we were there :( annoying because I think Alicia would have liked it), so we decided to start heading towards the Disneyland Hotel and our character dinner.

She knows the way ;)

Don't you just love it when the sun comes out?

Inventions and Dreams next!

norhel

Nice report :-)
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Aurora1

Thank you for posting pics and report! A great read. You have a really cute daughter! It`s obvious, she had a great time, as did you as parents!

BlackPearl

Thanks for sharing your great report and pics. Can't wait for the rest of it  :D

never2old

Thank you guys :)

Here's the last update for day 1!

So after a very successful afternoon in the park, it was time to head to the DLH hotel for dinner at Inventions. Good thing I booked a few weeks ago, because they were full (and apparently so was Cafe Mickey, a family in front of us were desperately trying to find a character meal but it was not to be...). In Inventions it was partly because half the restaurant was reserved for a private event for the the Disney Dreamers Everywhere....

Anyway, we soon got our table, walking past the delicious buffet. It took us some time to seat Alicia though, because as soon as we walked in we saw Mickey, he was greeting everyone at another table, and it was hard convincing her that he was coming to our table later as well....

Alicia keeping an eye on Mickey....

First one to come and see us, Dale.

Followed very shortly (thank God!) by the Mouse himself

Chip came next

Eeyore

Goofy

And Minnie :) It's for moments like this that we go to Disneyland isn't it?

Alicia got the longest hug, it was very magical

Minnie was amazing with Alicia. I will never thank her enough, she was so sweet, and loving, and just perfect. Alicia was extremely happy. And I confess, I was close to tears... Thank you thank you Minnie :)

And what would make this evening even more perfect for my little girl? Well seeing Mickey again!! And this time he too got a big hug :)

Wonderful wonderful dinner. The food in the buffet is great, though to be honest with all the excitement I wasn't even hungry... And yes it is a pricey dinner, but oh so worth it!! We used to do characters meals before Alicia was born, and I've always enjoyed meeting the characters. But now, it was a completely different experience. It was pure Disney magic  :D

As you can imagine after dinner our little one was slightly over excited... Time for her to go to bed! We went back to the hotel, and after making sure he had everything he needed to put Alicia to bed, I left my DH and her alone and I rushed back to the park: it was time for Dreams :)

It was almost 10:00 by the time I got to the Castle, and there were a few people waiting around (Dreams was at 10:30 that night). But I don't know if it was because of the cold night (and still raining every now and then), or because it was a quiet day anyway, or because I was all by myself, or what, but I easily made my way to the very first row  :D/

Now I hadn't given this much thought so I didn't have anything with me to hold my camera still, so please excuse the blurred pictures but I was holding the camera as still as I could...

Now I remembered from our previous visit, the star at the top of the Castle came out before the show. This time, the window was still in its place. I was getting a bit worried that the effect wasn't working... But no! As insideDLParis confirmed via twitter earlier this week, the star now comes out at the very  start of Dreams, you don't even see it!

And now, time for Dreams!

First of the two new scenes, the Lion King. There were cheers from the crowd when it started!! And I can see why, it's perfect for the show. It looks great, it sounds great, and you cannot help but sing along to it!! Great addition  =D>

Followed by Brave. And here the pictures are particularly bad and don't do it justice. The effects on the Brave scene are amazing. The best of the two new scenes and one of the best overall, I thought.

What can I say, they've taken a great show and made it even better. I am a little sad that Jungle Book is gone, but I have to say, in my opinion they've done the right thing. Dreams as a whole is even better than it was before. I love the new scenes, and can't wait to see them again!! (really need to go back before September....)

Another of my favourite scenes, the Dr Facilier one :)

Looking towards Main Street

What can I saw, whoa.... Amazing show. And first row... Perfect. A wonderful end to a perfect day :)

Day 2 coming soon!!